73 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 4 of 4 << < 1234
Author Messages
gripfreak89

--
14 Feb 2008 01:56 PM

That makes me vomit too! Although I think the white ones sometimes look nice. Blue, red, purple, eww!

So I've been working on the car and swap a bit every day. The guy who sold me the red miata with no engine didnt say that all the wiring was messed up, that the fuel lines were cut off under the car, etc, little things I didnt notice because I had just driven 12 hours straight...

But she's coming along nicely. Should be driving her saturday or even tomorrow.

Nebulizer, why not install those coilovers yourself? save some $$ and learn how part of your suspension is put together.

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
14 Feb 2008 03:56 PM

gripfreak89 wrote:
Nebulizer, why not install those coilovers yourself? save some $$ and learn how part of your suspension is put together.

Several reasons...

1. Its cold - I'd have to do it all outside due to space restrictions (wife needs her car spot in the garage). Plus I don't have good tools - and worry I would make a mistake and end up killing myself when the wheels fall off.

2. I got a good quote from Performance Driven

3. And, most importantly, I am hoping to have them installed without my wife knowing I bought them [6]

With that said, I would enjoy watching the install though. I more or less know what would be done - but it would be nice to see how it is all done properly and without all the swearing and blood.

That stinks about the wires and hoses - but at least you can grab the parts from the other car, right? My friend bought 1st series MR2 last summer that he drove far to get as well. He saw it had some issues,but bought it anyway. When he started looking closer back home he realized what a mess he had gotten into. No brakes, S/C routed so it was getting air from inside the (sealed?)trunk, and all sorts of scary things. He was hoping to have a nice inexpensive joy ride car, but got stuck with a mess that he doesn't know what to do with.

gripfreak89

--
16 Feb 2008 03:10 PM

"and worry I would make a mistake and end up killing myself when the wheels fall off."

haha. That would not be a good thing.

yeah thankfully I have my backup wrecked car to steal parts from, otherwise this would have been a nightmare. I will take some pics tonight, all I have left to do (which I plan on doing tonight):

-drop engine in and connect everything

-install radiator, exhaust system, etc, get the engine running and timed correctly.

-install new brake proportioning valves / bleed brakes.

-swap stock shocks/springs to my old koni's with coilovers

-take her to the carwash!

may seem like a stretch but I think I can make that all happen in about 6 hrs.

And nebulizer, you can update my info to Red miata now, instead of refrigerator white.

gripfreak89

--
19 Feb 2008 08:30 AM

6 hrs was waaay optimistic. It took me about twice as much. But she's running great. I promise I will post some pictures soon, couldnt find the camera...

Peppler33CS
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
19 Feb 2008 07:54 PM

Glad to hear you got it up and running! I want to see pics badly [H]

Mine is still torn apart, no control arms/header/exhaust/driveshaft/differential/power plant frame currently. I'm trying to swap differentials and my old rusty one was in way bad condition (even snapped a diff bolt trying to get it off) so I have to source used bolts. I'm going to POR15 my control arms, paint the underneath of the car, install urethane suspension bushings, window weld my diff bushings, install SM racing seat, and try to put everything back together. Its going to take more then 6hrs though! I'm hoping to be ready by the 1st practice event in early April.

balefire
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
07 Mar 2008 09:36 PM

No more excuses for me other than crappy driving this year. My offseason changes:

1) New Hankook C71 275/35/18 on some light weight Rota P1s, courtesy of performance driven. Thanks Brian and Dave!

2) New plugs and fluids all around. Thanks Brian and Dave!

3) Mod my sway bar to make it stiffer (next weekend at Performance Driven).

4) Get a real alignment with me sitting in the car (next weekend at Performance Driven).

After this, my car will be 95% prepped for BS. But, since there are no local BS competitors, at least I can compare myself to CS and PAX.

GChambers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
13 Mar 2008 10:39 AM
balefire wrote:

No more excuses for me other than crappy driving this year. My offseason changes:

1) New Hankook C71 275/35/18 on some light weight Rota P1s, courtesy of performance driven. Thanks Brian and Dave!

2) New plugs and fluids all around. Thanks Brian and Dave!

3) Mod my sway bar to make it stiffer (next weekend at Performance Driven).

4) Get a real alignment with me sitting in the car (next weekend at Performance Driven).

After this, my car will be 95% prepped for BS. But, since there are no local BS competitors, at least I can compare myself to CS and PAX.

Sounds like another X-class competitor to me...

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
15 Mar 2008 11:26 PM

Performance Driven installed my coilovers and bushings this week (one of the old bushings apparently crumbled away[:O]). I also cashed in my Awards Banquet prize for a free alignment. Now, I wasn't sure if I would really be able to tell that much of a difference after all of this. And, I was a little afraid the car would ride too harsh, but figured it would allow me to perform a little better. I am amazed at the difference. It handles so well now. It is so much more solid and stable feeling - but not at all harsh. It is probably a combination of previously worn out bushings, bad alignment, and of course the improved dampers. The car feels great - much more sure footed and I can't wait to autocross.

Plus, I love the more aggressive, lowered stance - I'll get some pictures up soon...

Dave and Brian at Performance Driven did a great job on everything. I highly recommend them to anyone who hasn't had a chance to check them out yet - and, really great prices.

gripfreak89

--
16 Mar 2008 11:08 PM

Nebulizer, looks like your BMW is getting some nice work done to it. Hopefully the car/suspension remains balanced.

I finally got my camera back from my brother who had gone on a trip to Colorado.

Here's the engine bay (taken today). It used to be black because the previous owner of the car had sprayed it very professionally with rubber undercoating. By very professionally I mean without sanding or masking or prepping absolutely anything. So I removed all of it and of course, the original red paint under it was in perfect shape. Again, that engine (along with all the main components down to the subframes) came from my white car which now sits in a junkyard.

[url=http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/view/full/1052750_2nnak]SCCAForums Image[/url]

I will take some more pictures of the car in general soon when I mount my new wheels and tires for clearance testing (I should be getting the wheels tomorrow or tuesday).

balefire
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
17 Mar 2008 04:36 PM
GChambers wrote:

Sounds like another X-class competitor to me...

contemplating X-class... but right now I can blame all my future poor times on my ridiculous camber challenged car. Only got -1.1 on the left front this weekend. Oh well, at least I have an excuse.

SopFu

--
17 Mar 2008 05:42 PM
gripfreak89 wrote:

By very professionally I mean without sanding or masking or prepping absolutely anything.

So, you must work at Chevy?

(let the flaming begin)

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
25 Mar 2008 02:50 PM

German, that enginebay looks very nice. Good job rebuilding your car. You must know everything about it now.

Here is a shot of my car with my new 'not-for-autocrossing' wheels (from Z4M coupe) and the new Ground Control coilover setup. (BTW I took this with my new Aiptek A-HD HiDef video camera - only $120 and it takes awesome video and pictures (this was from a cloudy day and resized from native 5MP) - I plan to use it to record races this season... in HiDef! Check this thread http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/275006.aspx for more info/examples of video on this great little cheap camera)

brgmcs

--
25 Mar 2008 08:19 PM
Looks nice Jason.
Shahab323is

--
04 Apr 2008 11:07 PM
well a couple weeks ago I traded in the BMW and purchased a 2008 laguna blue pearl s2000, been having a blast with the new car, won't be running it in any events soon, but I'll most likely be co-driving my friend's mini
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 4 of 4 << < 1234

Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner