You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 41234 > >>
Author Messages
Eclipse2Lancer
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
16 Jan 2008 03:33 PM

The Solo Steering committee has met 3 times now in preparation for the 2008 season, and no one has really defended keeping the Aussie pursuit when brought up at all the meetings. There are a handful of people that I know of that would really like it to stay, but the consensus seems to be that this event needs to be dropped in favor of another kind of autocross.

So before it is completely taken out of the 2008 equation, let's hear feedback from those who like the Aussie pursuit and would like to keep it. I think a bigger sample of the membership needs to weigh in on this.

Some facts that have been pointed out in meetings:
    - Low attendance compared to other events (62 entries in 2007). 30 in 2006 (possibly because of weather). 55 in 2005.
    - Not a good first event for Novices.
    - More than one person has mentioned that they just come for the points.

mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    16 Jan 2008 03:49 PM

I like the Aussie, would like to see it on the schedule, but only if it isn't a drag on the region.

1 vote "for"

Racerlinn
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Jan 2008 03:54 PM

Duplicate from the e-group.

I like the Aussie (raises hand, to no one's surprise).
    But it's not my decision to make.
    Steve
    Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    16 Jan 2008 04:04 PM

Well I already knew you 2 liked it.....but didn't really give any reasons why to keep it. I'm just looking for further input before we suffer the wrath of the pro-Aussie crowd. [:)]

Personally I am indifferent (a 6-4 record over the past 2 years though if that really matters) and am open to other ideas. But if it is dropped (and even if it is not)....something special will happen to one or both of the events at Grissom.
    And who's to say that it can't be brought back in the future if we take a year off from holding and Aussie event?

turbohappy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    16 Jan 2008 04:57 PM

I voted against. I wouldn't have gone last year if I hadn't been sweet-talked into going by Geoff for some reason ;o)

The first time I went I took my wife and it has negatively affected her view of the entire sport.

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    16 Jan 2008 04:57 PM
    I gave plenty of reasons to keep it. I too wanted it, But Dale was dead set on killing it off. I'm seeing a Black Subaru wagon that isn't going to pass tech for the '08 season. . . . .
    Racerlinn
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Jan 2008 05:05 PM

Eclipse2Lancer wrote:

- Low attendance compared to other events (62 entries in 2007). 30 in 2006 (possibly because of weather). 55 in 2005.
    - Not a good first event for Novices.
    - More than one person has mentioned that they just come for the points.

Well, then, if I can defend:

Around 60 entries is around the norm. We actually like to have around 64 as it makes for balanced brackets. If we get up above 70 something, we go to a 5th bracket and a modified championship round. 2006 had tornado watches and thunderstorm warnings and they were lucky to get it in, but that would have been the case no matter what that day. Compare the 2007 turnout to the Grissom events. About the same amount attending. Are we going to cancel the Grissom events and run at 16th Street exclusively?

Absolutely, it is not a good event for Novices. I have always tried to advise first timers away from the event. More education/advertisement regarding the event could help to explain what they are in for.

Points have been well discussed. It used to be that the Aussie was NOT a points event, until a bunch of folks decided they wanted to have it count. Is it any different than showing up and running in an undersubsribed class? It does not effect year-end Tovey points. Should it be reconsidered as a points paying event. Should it be doomed just because some people take advantage of the event to score points? The same could be said for the joint CSCC event in Walesboro. Lot's of Indy folks that normally do not run there do show up for that one event. Why? Points....

I'm just sayin'....

Racerlinn
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Jan 2008 05:08 PM
    And the $1 fun runs till you drop at the end are generally popular - a couple of "normal" entries worth of revenue.
    Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    16 Jan 2008 05:23 PM

I spent $8 this year on fun run and only stopped because everyone was going home!

I thought it was a nice "Break from the norm", but we also had to consider teh financial side of the event. If we lose money, than there is no point in having it.

Oh. . .I like points. They taste just like chocolate.

MichaelBenz

--
    16 Jan 2008 05:33 PM

Personally....I say dump it. Confused here....[^o)] Sorry....re-hash tends to annoy me after a decision is made....or I thought was made. Cool....ok....guess we could always do two special events if we have to or just not even worry about a new event format if we end up keeping the Aussie. Willing to do whatever the concensus asks....

Personally....I will probably NOT run in the Aussie this year unless there is some need for points. IMO it was a drag...but thats totally just my opinion obviously and mean to offense to anybody that may feel otherwise.

dbrier
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Jan 2008 07:02 PM

I'm with Mike on this. Dump it. I'm one of the guys who only runs it for points. Half of the racers are out in two runs.

I'm confused too, I thought we decided last night to dump it. We talked about what kinds of other special events to replace it with and some really good ideas came up. This seems like we are going backwards instead of forward. What is the point of making decisions at the steering committee meeting if we just open the topic back up the next day? I may sound like a jerk here, but I really thought this was done.

mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    16 Jan 2008 08:16 PM

[quote]I'm confused too, I thought we decided last night to dump it.

It was but obviously will wants to put it up for further discussion involving the rest of the region, not just us on the committee. What's funny so far is that the only voices are those of the committee.

So what's it going to hurt to have a thread about it? Are you sure it just isn't will needling you?

brgmcs

--
    16 Jan 2008 09:02 PM

I vote for keeping the Aussie. My reasons for that "vote" were given in the e-group.

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    16 Jan 2008 09:37 PM
    I voted against but I could go either way. The reason I voted against is to maybe replace it with another type of special event like a local version of a Pro Solo. Since I missed the meeting last night, I do not know what options were mentioned, if they were at all. One special event, IMO, is a good idea. But it needs to generate excitement as opposed to just the "I'm gonna run it because I get points and it is a local event" attitude, again IMHO.
    turbohappy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Jan 2008 01:18 AM
    The special event to replace it would be a double event (3 runs in the morning, break for lunch and change course to run it backwards, 3 runs in the afternoon, add best time for both courses together) or a prosolo type format (although this is very logistically difficult). Either would be at Peru.
    mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Jan 2008 06:59 AM

turbohappy wrote:
    The special event to replace it would be a double event (3 runs in the morning, break for lunch and change course to run it backwards, 3 runs in the afternoon, add best time for both courses together) or a prosolo type format (although this is very logistically difficult). Either would be at Peru.

Why do we have to have only one special format event? What's to say we can't do the double-back event at one of the Grissom events, we have it 3 times this year, and do an Aussie at 16th? Changing things up some is good and makes for a more interesting and fun season.

On the Yahoo group, Phil made a good suggestion, what about running the Aussie as the Worker's Invitational?

Again, over on the Yahoo group there seems to be growing support for the Aussie, I think it was a good idea that Will put this out there.

The Solo Committee is mostly fresh faces and unfortunately we're operating in somewhat of a vaccum. This discourse is good. Let's not start focusing on our own personal agendas based on what we prefer but what would be good for the region, that's our function as the committee.

Dave

Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Jan 2008 07:49 AM
    mtownneon wrote:

[quote]I'm confused too, I thought we decided last night to dump it.

It was but obviously will wants to put it up for further discussion involving the rest of the region, not just us on the committee. What's funny so far is that the only voices are those of the committee.

So what's it going to hurt to have a thread about it? Are you sure it just isn't will needling you?

That's exactly the reason I posted it here, for a wider audience (not to needle anyone at all). Sorry to confuse and not run it by you guys first, but I got to thinking that we only heard a small sample of our membership and wanted to gather more information from a larger sample. Sometimes I get a gut feeling about things and act independently, and apologize for that.

After all, it is January and would hate to make a hasty decision now without hearing from a larger part of our membership.

Racerlinn
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Jan 2008 08:25 AM

Again, my opinion, I think a big part of the attraction of the Workers Invitational is that you can swap cars (at least it is for me). I would NOT want to have the Aussie as the WI.

With at least 6 events at 16th Street, a little variety would never hurt.

Note: I was not very vocal at the Steering committee as that is not a meeting that I should be leading and I try to just listen and keep my mouth shut. My position as RE allows me to continue to let the program chairs run their respective programs independently, with oversight from the BoD, and trying to avoid micro-management.

dbrier
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Jan 2008 08:49 AM
    mtownneon wrote:

No, it just that I thought we made a decision and then we opened it back up. If our decision at the board meeting was to ask for more input then I wouldn't care. It's probably just a minor issue with a lot of us new members running the show now. I'm a fan of going with the majority, and it looks like we will be keeping the pursuit in on form or another.

Having two message boards with different inputs and trains of thought is going to be tough to keep up with, I really wish we only had one on-line communication system. (a topic for another time). When hot topics like this come up, you can see the problems.

My dislike of the AP comes from the lack of fun. Maybe it's a class thing, but some of us are showing up to the event in daily drivers and we're being matched up with Mod cars that came in on trailers and running motorcycle engines. I know there are few others that feel the same. It really isn't any fun to KNOW you're going to get stomped in the first two or three runs. And is not because I don't do well at the AP, I don't do well at any of the events. [:)] I know I would be happier if we took some of the randomness out and least ran against our own class for the first run or too. I end up feeling like a 16th seed team in the NCAA tourney every time being matched up against the best team in the nation. Someone on the old message board mentioned making the Worker Invitational and removing it from the points series. Because of the weird way it's scored, I think that is good idea even though I get more points for running poorly at the AP than I do running average at a regular event.

I'm noticing something else too. There is a clear (but not absolute) dividing line between those in favor and those that would get rid of the event. The newer members aren't as enamored with the Aussie Pursuit as those who have been racing for much longer. I can only guess that we don't have a sense of "tradition" about the event as more experienced racers do.

mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Jan 2008 09:13 AM

[quote]My dislike of the AP comes from the lack of fun.

Then I would say pass on the Aussie. You have 2 events you can toss. But as you pointed out, points wise, even when you do bad at the Aussie, you collect more points then your average.

[quote]No, it just that I thought we made a decision and then we opened it back up.

That is a correct statement. Will exercised what I beleive to be his preogrative as a Co-Chair.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 41234 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner