You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 4 of 4 << < 1234
Author Messages
dbrier
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
19 Jan 2008 12:07 PM

That is true, not just this year, but lots of past events too.

I can live with getting beat by guys in my own class, it happens all the time. But getting paired up with P and M cars leaves me thinking I have no chance and my only shot at beating them is if they hit a cone.

turbohappy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
20 Jan 2008 11:53 PM

Honestly, if you start seeding people then you would be obliged to run #1 against #16 the first round, right? I mean, that's how brackets work. It's not fair to run #1 against #2 the first round either, if you look at it from their point of view.

Personally, my dislike for the event isn't seedings or anything like that. The course is short without most of what makes autocrossing fun for me. You can go to Tuesday Night Street Legals and run head-to-head against other competitors, but I don't do that often because I don't enjoy that type of racing. The way to judge support is to look at the pocket book, not at who yells the loudest. If other people like it, bully for them, no problem with that here. There are plenty of other events to go to that time of year or a good time to take a weekend off.

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
21 Jan 2008 09:34 AM
turbohappy wrote:

Honestly, if you start seeding people then you would be obliged to run #1 against #16 the first round, right? I mean, that's how brackets work. It's not fair to run #1 against #2 the first round either, if you look at it from their point of view.

The problem is we seed to make the run groups, but then we go and make things random within the run groups. That doesn't work. It needs to be all ranked or not at all - otherwise you end up with messed up pairings.

What would be wrong with #1 vs. #2 first round (and #63 vs. #64)? If we are going the bracket way as you suggest, than it really should be #1 vs. #64 (AM vs.HS) - which would be aweful. Isn't #1 vs. #2 a lot more fun than #1 vs. #64? Keep in mind this is meant to be fun - sure, if we were doing an NCAA type championship that was all about avoiding any upsets we would want #1 vs #64, but this is meant to be fun. For that, the design should make pairings closely matched. Or, do we just want this to be fun for #1 (or as we ran it last year #1, #17, #33, and #49)

For some reason everyone seems to think it is important to split up into 4 run groups based on PAX, but then say PAX is not really important so mix it up within the run groups - this is not a consistant design. Inconsistant designs lead to bad pairings and arbitrary splits that favor the tops of each run group and disfavor the bottoms - which is why some people are complaining so vocally. Either make it totally random and screw the lower classes or use PAX (or another good measure) all the way through the pairings and keep the competition close and exciting. Those are the only valid designs - anything else is flawed from the start.

Bobzilla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
21 Jan 2008 09:57 AM
turbohappy wrote:

. . . The course is short without most of what makes autocrossing fun for me. You can go to Tuesday Night Street Legals and run head-to-head against other competitors, but I don't do that often because I don't enjoy that type of racing. . . ..

Alot of us don;t go to Tuesday night drags becasue we drive slow (in a straight line) cars. The AP gives cars that would be annihilated in a straight line a chance against the same car. Smaller, "slower" and underpowered cars have a great chance of beating that 300gp mustang because we can turn quicker and the car handles so much better.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 4 of 4 << < 1234

SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner