Author Messages
The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
01 Feb 2008 12:39 PM
brgmcs wrote:
The Nebulizer wrote:
BTW Scott, I don't know about hp, but I bet you had me beat in 0-60mph. I was running about 7.2sec in the SC'd 325Ci (about 215hp at crank w/ 4.5psi, 3350lbs, and a slushy automatic) - now the M3 is a whole other beast - 4.6sec. [H]

Yeah, I'm a couple tenths faster to 60mph than your 325 (high 6's). But on a hot day and with a delay starting a run, I may not be any quicker. The MINI engine is really suspceptable to heat, what with the tiny engine bay and lots of heat sources such as the inefficient Roots blower, plus a charger cooler mounted up top to catch it all. Running around in 15degF weather is a whole 'nother story. Too bad our season runs in the summer. [:'(]

It sounds a lot faster[au] - I figured more like 5's. I thought Mike Baker's Mini was more like mid-5's. Can a Mini be 'well-prepared' in SM or is it just too limited by engine bay size?

And, my posting this was not meant to be an excuse for my slowness - I know the 0-60 time of my car played little into my less than impressive times. (It was the heavy power/heated seats [:P] )

DRAG

--
01 Feb 2008 01:39 PM

Holy moly what a bunch of crap! Andy you can make your point without being a f'ing dick to everyone. My intention was to look out for the other competitors...not myself. I will make sure I am in contention for a win regardless of what happens.

I'm a rookie and my attitude is that if I can't keep up with the fast guys then I need to get some damn seat time and possibly work on making my car perform a little better.

I just bought a new car yesterday that is AS eligible, but I am still going to run SMS or SM for the heck of it. I look forward to trying to keep up with the good drivers. I've got some things to learn from guys like Kevin K, Scott, and others.

My X next to my VIII...just picked it up yesterday. Far superior in every way.

DRAG

--
01 Feb 2008 01:42 PM
The Nebulizer wrote:

It sounds a lot faster[au] - I figured more like 5's. I thought Mike Baker's Mini was more like mid-5's. Can a Mini be 'well-prepared' in SM or is it just too limited by engine bay size?

And, my posting this was not meant to be an excuse for my slowness - I know the 0-60 time of my car played little into my less than impressive times. (It was the heavy power/heated seats [:P] )

I always wondered what my 0-60 times were. I know when I left it would make me dizzy and it was hard to hit the first cone. I'm sure I would be faster if I slowed down. My car ran 12.5 @ 109 1/4 mile in my auto x trim and 11s @ 119.5 with the power turned up a tad. I added another 100hp after that 119mph run, but never got a chance to measure the performance.

Eclipse2Lancer
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
01 Feb 2008 02:05 PM
DRAG wrote:

Holy moly what a bunch of crap! Andy you can make your point without being a f'ing dick to everyone. My intention was to look out for the other competitors...not myself. I will make sure I am in contention for a win regardless of what happens.

I'm a rookie and my attitude is that if I can't keep up with the fast guys then I need to get some damn seat time and possibly work on making my car perform a little better.

I just bought a new car yesterday that is AS eligible, but I am still going to run SMS or SM for the heck of it. I look forward to trying to keep up with the good drivers. I've got some things to learn from guys like Kevin K, Scott, and others.

Nice X, Luke. Can't wait to see it in person. I am guessing dealerships are going to be flush with a bunch of VIII's and IX's pretty soon! [:D]

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
01 Feb 2008 02:22 PM
DRAG wrote:

Congrats on the sweet new car. I haven't even seen one yet. This car is not classed yet though, is it? I think there was some debate on if it would be AS, most likely though. Are you keeping the Evo 8?

Compete in AS - your dad and I need some company.

DRAG

--
01 Feb 2008 02:30 PM

Most of the current EVO owners hate the new car. I felt the same until I went in to drive it. Seeing it in person is WAY different than pictures. It looks bold in person, but not so "boy racer" It is definately a nicer car with the cruise, navigation, DVD player, and handling controls.

I don't think it will be classed different than the previous ones. Power feels about the same, and it is a lot heavier, but it feels just as agile if not more.

I am selling the 8, and I'm selling it cheap. I cracked the front lip and got a ding in the hood...so $20K this week as is, or I will put a spit-n-shine on her and sell for 22K. It has 37K miles and 245 Azenis with 1000 miles on them...but 2 auto x events.

turbohappy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
01 Feb 2008 03:58 PM
DRAG wrote:

My car ran 12.5 @ 109 1/4 mile in my auto x trim and 11s @ 119.5 with the power turned up a tad. I added another 100hp after that 119mph run, but never got a chance to measure the performance.

Nice. Mine did 16.2s all day in autocross trim [;)] Should have a little more power and a little grippier tires now, maybe I could crack the 15s? Probably not. I'm sure I could crack the 15s if I took a bunch of camber and toe out of the front wheels.

Andy Ucter

--
01 Feb 2008 04:16 PM
DRAG wrote:

Holy moly what a bunch of crap! Andy you can make your point without being a f'ing dick to everyone.

Take your own advise.. I wasn't "trying" to be a dick, so my appologies.. so those who may have thought/felt it.

why don't you bring your evoX to STU with Mr. M3.. Kevin Will be there too.. so they'll be like 3 of us getting our asses kicked by kevin..

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
01 Feb 2008 04:55 PM
Andy Ucter wrote:
DRAG wrote:

Holy moly what a bunch of crap! Andy you can make your point without being a f'ing dick to everyone.

Take your own advise.. I wasn't "trying" to be a dick, so my appologies.. so those who may have thought/felt it.

why don't you bring your evoX to STU with Mr. M3.. Kevin Will be there too.. so they'll be like 3 of us getting our asses kicked by kevin..

I wasn't sure what your intent was. When reading text over the internet it is often hard to tell what someone really means (that is why I try to use lots of smilies when I am razzing someone or when I think my post could be taken wrong). For example, "Mr. M3", I am not sure what that means. I don't know who you are, yet I have a nickname from you. I chose to take it that you were trying to be friendly with me, but it could have been read as an insult. At first I took Andy's posts like DRAG did, but then I reread them and figured maybe I misinterpreted the tone and there was no negative intent.

Either way, there are better ways to call into question someones tone than name calling. As moderator of this forum, I have to ask everyone to keep it friendly. One of the concerns the board members had about setting up a new forum was that it could get ugly - I assured them it wouldn't. Let's assume this was just a misunderstanding and not let it go any further.

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
01 Feb 2008 11:30 PM

The Nebulizer wrote:
As to coming to STU, I would love to, but e46 M3 is excluded...

Hey, check it out - I posted in another thread questioning if the e46 M3 could be made elligible for STU. Andy Hollis (member of SEB) responded that it might be time and started the thread below and it has exploded into a real possibility...

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/283004.aspx

I am not sure if it is too late for 2008 - but I kind of get the feeling it may not be fromt he overwhelmingly positive response. Guess I will hold off buying those Kumhos V710 and may need to invest in some springs, camber plates, sway bars, CAI instead.[<:o)] Performance Driven may make some money off me after all.

balefire
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
02 Feb 2008 01:32 AM
The Nebulizer wrote:

The Nebulizer wrote:
As to coming to STU, I would love to, but e46 M3 is excluded...

Hey, check it out - I posted in another thread questioning if the e46 M3 could be made elligible for STU. Andy Hollis (member of SEB) responded that it might be time and started the thread below and it has exploded into a real possibility...

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/283004.aspx

I am not sure if it is too late for 2008 - but I kind of get the feeling it may not be fromt he overwhelmingly positive response. Guess I will hold off buying those Kumhos V710 and may need to invest in some springs, camber plates, sway bars, CAI instead.[<:o)] Performance Driven may make some money off me after all.

--temporary threadjack--

Hey Jason,

Regardless of whether the e46 M3 officially makes it into STU this year (unlikely, more likely 2009), I would begin prepping it for STU anyway if I had your car.

1) In 2003, I autox'd a friend's AS prepped e46 M3 (light weight wheels, hoosier R compounds, stiff shocks, stock muffler) and it was terrible. No camber, heavy car, soft springs on sticky R compounds made the car feel like a heavy understeering boat out there. You would have no chance against the more nimble S2k, Solstice GXP, C4. My friend (a national level trophy winner) quickly realized this in 2003 and mid season gave up on it and went back to a BS s2000.

2) I'm sure you could convince the local STU / Indy SCCA region to allow you to run STU this year

3) STU would fix alot of the e46's inherent problems (camber, soft springs, weight)

4) It is a huge pain changing into R compounds at an event. If you can run a street tire class for your car and be competitive, I would.

Good luck. I need to sell my wife's car and get her an e46 m3 too. =)

Paul

BS #35

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
02 Feb 2008 02:13 AM
balefire wrote:
--temporary threadjack--

Hey Jason,

Regardless of whether the e46 M3 officially makes it into STU this year (unlikely, more likely 2009), I would begin prepping it for STU anyway if I had your car.

2) I'm sure you could convince the local STU / Indy SCCA region to allow you to run STU this year

3) STU would fix alot of the e46's inherent problems (camber, soft springs, weight)

(I think this thread could use a little threadjacking... )

That sounds like a good plan. (Was your co-driver the one that had an M3?). Hopefully they will decide on it before the season (even if it is for a 2009 implementation) so I could have a strong position for any local proposal. Of course, in STU it is a battle for 2nd place behind the amazing Kevin Kent, but I would much rather be in this class for the mods it would allow me to do (plus, I am really not ready for R comps). I think you are right about the STU mods being a big help in dialing the M3s potential (even with street tires). Probably still not as well prepped as the Evos and STi - but not too far off (with equal drivers). I think the M3 would be a pretty good RWD contender to the 4wd dominance in STU. I think this is another reason why it will go through - to give the class a little more diversity. Thanks for the advice, Paul.

DRAG

--
02 Feb 2008 02:14 AM
No please DO hijack the thread. It is like beating a dead horse.
Bobzilla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
02 Feb 2008 07:59 AM
I tried to jack it. . . I really did.
balefire
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
02 Feb 2008 10:28 AM
The Nebulizer wrote:
balefire wrote:
--temporary threadjack--

(I think this thread could use a little threadjacking... )

That sounds like a good plan. (Was your co-driver the one that had an M3?). Hopefully they will decide on it before the season (even if it is for a 2009 implementation) so I could have a strong position for any local proposal.

actually, it was another BS s2000 buddy, back in the heydey of s2000s. He temporarily tried autox'ing the e46 m3 because he got a deal too good to be true. another friend wanted to get rid of his e46 m3 so he could get the smg version...

also, in the other thread, what they say about smg in autox is true. if you have ever tried "speed shifting" a normal manual during a turn, you'll find out that it upsets the car and if you're not careful, will cause you to spin. if i were u, despite the ease and temptation of hitting that paddle during a turn, i would always wait for a straight before upshifting w/ dsg. in a normal manual, you can do a "smooth shift" during a turn and not upset the car as much.

DRAG

--
04 Feb 2008 09:20 PM
I would love to take an S2000 around some cones. I wanted to buy one, but it wasn't practical for my big butt. I have friends that have had them and they are probably top 3 of the most fun cars I have ever driven. Maybe the most fun actually.
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
08 Feb 2008 10:13 AM
Andy Ucter wrote:
DRAG wrote:

I agree! You should take your $40k X to STU. Well see if the navigation, heated seats, cruise control, and "aero" package get you around the cones quicker.

I had to quote this message just to see the car one more time in the list! I'm very glad I showed up to the dealership and couldn't talk you out of it!

DRAG

--
09 Feb 2008 01:40 PM

Don't be mad because I will be watching TV while I whoop your butt LOL!!

Thanks for NOT talking me out of it. I called you so that you would, but you suck at doing your job [:P]

By the way...active yaw is way cool :D

Basic Member
Basic Member

--
10 Feb 2008 10:27 PM
DRAG wrote:

By the way...active yaw is way cool :D

Warm spongy brakes are way cool too! Send me pictures from Saturday.

MichaelBenz

--
11 Feb 2008 12:14 PM
Andy Ucter wrote:

SMS r00oolz

and I don't see why you don't get it..

who cares about SM locally.. as Geoff mentioned.. could you, as a driver in SM even touch people like Daddio?? in a fully prepped car?? or sais?? etc??

SMS guys are typically newbs who don't want to spend money on dedicated "race rubber" or take time changing tires, moreover.. a majority of these people... e.g. mike benz.. (love ya man, but you're not ready for them) aren't ready for r-comps anyway

I'll stay out of SMS personally, as My borrowed car fits into STU.

more-over.. I would think/hope.. that the powers that be in INDY region would frown on a national or highly competitive driver... going to SMS.. just to beat-up on the kids there...

(E.g. scott dales, should stay out of SMS, and give the n000bs a shot.. at a class designed for un-prepped cars)

I think it is an awesome move for INDY region.. and I am glad to be a member!!!

nice to see such an old region.. staying fresh.. and up to date

What are you saying sir? I suck at driving my car? [:S] Thanks! Actually...it was recommended by one of the expert drivers and safety stewards that I get slicks due to my cars handling issues and the fact that the car was supercharged, which placed me in Street Mod. He recommened this very highly after having ridden with me about 5 times and even gave me two different tire recommendations. It immediately cut 2-4 seconds off my times due to eliminating the push in the front end greatly. I think if I hadnt missed two events last year I probably would have taken third in points in my class for the year anyway? What is your recommendation. It was my thinking that when the slicks are worn out I would get some decent street tires and try to SMS class...but frankly, I was one of those guys that just modded my car the way I wanted it. It was my daily driver at the time (still is greatly, although I have been driving the GS400 lately since it became available for my use) and I built it the way I wanted it not really caring about the rule book. But anyway, whats your recommendation? Certainly not beyond hearing another point of view! But not sure my budget will afford slicks after these are worm out....so certainly willing to look at another POV. Issue with my car is its an automatic, which takes some time to get up and go....and the slicks let me carry a bit more speed into turns and not be overdriving the cars tires. The supercharger and the Acura V6 with this setup has some lag to it from the start a lot, but less than stock without supercharger....but anyway...whats your recommendation?

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

Woodhouse Motorsports
SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner