You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>
Author Messages
GChambers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
05 Mar 2008 12:06 PM
You guys that want to Dyno better get there early. Gus and I are bringing our fire breathing STS2 Miatas to dyno. We are going to run hard and often. You guys can have the dyno when we are done with it if there is anything left of it. We have an estimated 115hp at the wheels. But, it's the 100 ft lbs of torque that is really going to do the damage. Wear your safety gear.
Bobzilla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
05 Mar 2008 12:20 PM
I'm hoping to best you Miata guys with my Korean powerhouse. . . shooting for 120 at the wheels and about 120tq! Watchout!
The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
05 Mar 2008 12:49 PM

Is running a dyno any harder on the engine than regular spirited driving? I have never taken my car beyond about 6000rpm (redlines at 8000rpm). I am just concerned that even a short burst to 8000rpm would be potentially harmful - am I just being too cautious?

I don't know how I can pass up a great deal like that though. I just wish I had some parts to swap out really quickly - like CAI. Maybe I can bring a new air filter...

Hopefully those Miatas won't break the dyno before I get my turn.

kar120c

--
05 Mar 2008 01:24 PM

BMW gave you that redline with a lot of tolerance - it'll go higher. Don't be afraid to redline it. I wouldn't bounce it off the limiter for long periods of time, but a dyno pull just goes up to redline with immediate deceleration.

If it's anything like my Elise, I'll bet you'll find a lot of happiness in that last 2000 rpm. Use it!

Phil

SopFu

--
05 Mar 2008 05:55 PM
kar120c wrote:

BMW gave you that redline with a lot of tolerance - it'll go higher. Don't be afraid to redline it. I wouldn't bounce it off the limiter for long periods of time, but a dyno pull just goes up to redline with immediate deceleration.

If it's anything like my Elise, I'll bet you'll find a lot of happiness in that last 2000 rpm. Use it!

Phil

Ditto. I take mine up to the rev-limiter daily. I would also be willing to bet accelerating WOT from 6000-8000 causes less wear than accelerating WOT from 1000-3000, at least on your short stroke engine.

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
05 Mar 2008 06:41 PM

SopFu wrote:
Ditto. I take mine up to the rev-limiter daily. I would also be willing to bet accelerating WOT from 6000-8000 causes less wear than accelerating WOT from 1000-3000, at least on your short stroke engine.

Yeah, I am like one of those moms that can leave their newborn at daycare... [}]

GChambers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
05 Mar 2008 11:33 PM
The Nebulizer wrote:

Is running a dyno any harder on the engine than regular spirited driving? I have never taken my car beyond about 6000rpm (redlines at 8000rpm). I am just concerned that even a short burst to 8000rpm would be potentially harmful - am I just being too cautious?

I don't know how I can pass up a great deal like that though. I just wish I had some parts to swap out really quickly - like CAI. Maybe I can bring a new air filter...

Hopefully those Miatas won't break the dyno before I get my turn.

Dood,

I want you to go out onto 69N right now and blast that thing up to redline in the first 3 gears. You have absolutely no clue what that car is capable of yet and won't until you do this. Don't forget to engage launch mode.

Eclipse2Lancer
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
06 Mar 2008 03:15 PM
Think I am going to put the Lancer on the dyno. Guessing it will make about 140-150whp. [:$]
balefire
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
06 Mar 2008 03:32 PM
The Nebulizer wrote:

I take my rotary powered car to the fuel cutoff at a minimum of once per day. Its well known that for my car, not doing so results in significant carbon buildup and premature engine failure.

As many have said, the "redline" is well below what the engineers deem safe for the engine. I would bet your engine was designed to handle 10k rpm or more.

duck_hunter_117

--
06 Mar 2008 04:36 PM
Another thing to remember about the stress on a engine is that for the reciprocating parts the stress increases as the square of the engine speed. So even though 6000-800rpm is only a 133% increase in speed the stress is increased by (133%)^2 = 178%. But the engineers put the redline at 8000rpm for a reason so I would image it is safe.
The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
07 Mar 2008 05:46 PM

Looks like the weather locally may not end up as bad as predicted. I know about 6 miles north of Performance Driven we still have clear streets (I know down south of Indy it is getting bad though). Still, I can't see getting anywhere near the 8 inches they predicted. Probably only about 2.

I am not sure if I can drive my autocrosser though. For various reasons I am down to 3 rears (mismatched even) and 1 front. I may end up bringing the daily driver and skipping the dyno - or maybe I will plop my rust bucket up there to make the Miata guys feel powerful [:P].

Eclipse2Lancer
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
07 Mar 2008 06:55 PM
Well our tech day is not canceled (like GLDIV's training is), but our tech chief is most definitely under the weather. Any and all help with annual tech would be appreciated. Find me if you would like to help out.

As for the Axware training, we will still do some of that too but will probably be busy helping with tech depending on the volume. I'll probably take a few individuals at a time to go learn the software.

SopFu

--
07 Mar 2008 07:48 PM
The Nebulizer wrote:

I may end up bringing the daily driver and skipping the dyno - or maybe I will plop my rust bucket up there to make the Miata guys feel powerful [:P].

This miata guy don't need any help...I'm hoping for 175 rwhp - 'cause we all know how much a number matters![H]

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
07 Mar 2008 08:30 PM

SopFu wrote:
This miata guy don't need any help...I'm hoping for 175 rwhp - 'cause we all know how much a number matters![H]

None of you guys need any help. Every Miata we have in Indy blows the doors off of me with half the horsepower and excellent driving. I was just playing off Geoff's comment above.

Bobzilla is sick? Flu? That stinks. Get well soon, Bobzilla.

balefire
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
07 Mar 2008 09:23 PM

For all those going, I would recommend taking Hannah, which means you go north on I-67 from I-465. It's alot faster than going south on I-67 and taking any of those streets. The shop is on the West side of Decatur Blvd. Google Maps and Yahoo maps give bad estimates of where the shop is.

brgmcs

--
08 Mar 2008 09:22 PM

Great day today at Performance Driven. Their new shop looks fantastic, and the dyno next door was kept busy from about 9am until 5pm. The mighty Miatas didn't kill the dyno, though they gave it their best efforts! [:)]

I'm going to vote for Michael's CP Corvair as the best sounding car of the day (why doesn't someone record it and get it into GT5 or Forza???), though there were some high rpm screamers that gave it a try late in the day.

As a Cummins' engineer, I'll have to say I was pleased to see that the dyno winner for the day (at least that I saw) was one of our engines. 460rwhp and almost 1000lbs-ft. Not too shabby. Should be able to pull a Mod car and trailer just fine.[:D]

It was nice seeing everyone. I hope to see you again later this month in Walesboro or early next month at 16th Street. I'll see the guys from Performance Driven again on Friday when they tweak the alignment on the MINI.

mtownneon
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
09 Mar 2008 08:29 AM

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who took the time to come visit us at our Grand Opening yesterday.

It was a lot of fun, folks kept Cozz's dyno running all day and some pretty cool cars and trucks showed up.

For anyone still needing Solo Annual Tech, we can do it at the shop now. Just stop by during regular business hours and we'll fix you up.

Thanks also goes to these companies and organizations for their help:

Indy SCCA
Magnaflow Performance
Motovicity Distribution
TCI
Cozzolino Motorsports
Sunbelt Rentals

Cheers,

Dave

Eclipse2Lancer
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
09 Mar 2008 10:57 AM
mtownneon wrote:

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who took the time to come visit us at our Grand Opening yesterday.

It was a lot of fun, folks kept Cozz's dyno running all day and some pretty cool cars and trucks showed up.

For anyone still needing Solo Annual Tech, we can do it at the shop now. Just stop by during regular business hours and we'll fix you up.

Thanks also goes to these companies and organizations for their help:

Indy SCCA
Magnaflow Performance
Motovicity Distribution
TCI
Cozzolino Motorsports
Sunbelt Rentals

Cheers,

Dave

I will echo the thanks for everyone coming out.....and a thanks to Performance Driven for hosting. Solo Annual Tech'd 25 cars, which will ease the initial tech lines at the first couple of events. This helps a lot. [:D]

Bobzilla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
10 Mar 2008 08:56 AM

I have got to thank all of you guys that covered for me! THanks to Ron, Will, Steve, Scott and all the others that made this happen. So sorry I couldn't stay, this flu is absolutely terrible!

25 cars is a great start. That's 25 less on the first few events. Remeber, aside from PD we are still doing annual tech at the first 4 events.

Eclipse2Lancer
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
10 Mar 2008 09:32 AM
Bobzilla wrote:

I have got to thank all of you guys that covered for me! THanks to Ron, Will, Steve, Scott and all the others that made this happen. So sorry I couldn't stay, this flu is absolutely terrible!

25 cars is a great start. That's 25 less on the first few events. Remeber, aside from PD we are still doing annual tech at the first 4 events.

+1. Thanks to the tech guys that helped out!!!
I was really surprised to see you there Bob. [+o(]

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner