AspireTec Engineering  468
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 26 Aug 2008 06:52 AM by  snookwheel
Converting (Uhaul) Jeep Hauler to a Solo Vee hauler (now for sale. See classifieds)
 9 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
snookwheel

--
27 Jan 2008 08:03 AM

Hi folks, I'm a new guy here. The past few years have been spent off roading & hauling Jeeps around with my son. He's off to college and losing interest in off roading. So I'm off to faster fun. I just purchased a Solo Vee. It's in Kansas, I fly out to get it next week.

Anyway, I had built a Uhaul moving van into a jeep hauler / workshop / camper. Kind of redneck, but worked well for us! The Uhaul will be the parking spot for the Vee, as well as a transport. Changing it over to handle a low profile toy meant adding longer ramps, both inside and out. With lifted jeeps, we could just about crawl in! Also added a 3000 lb. wireless remote winch under the work bench in the front of the truck box. So far, I have only tested it by hauling a golf cart in. It seems to do the job well. There are 4 9k tie down hoops through bolted into the frame.

This is a cheap solution for hauling a car, having your tools and being able to camp in comfort. I doubt the camping part will come into play much with autocrossing, unlike remote jeeping trips. One of the most fun Father/Son projects we ever did! Any way, it is once again a work in process. I am looking forward to meeting some of you folks at Solo events.

BTW, by adding shore power, water hook up and a bunk, I was able to re register the truck as a motor home. Very inexpensive insurance.

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

I am going to have to re name her & change the graphics... after our last 'hurrah' trip to River Rock Ga. with the jeeps.

One jeep inside & one in tow.

SCCAForums Image

Lynn
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    27 Jan 2008 10:03 AM
    That is a very nice rig. Where are you located? Did you buy the Bakker or the Martin? Two solovees were for sale in KS. Most of the solovee guys hang out at [url]http://www.formulavee.org/interchan...;/url]
    snookwheel

--
    27 Jan 2008 11:27 AM

I'm located in Crystal Beach, Fl. A small community just North of Clearwater.

I actually was speaking with the owner of the Baaker and very close to going that direction. It looks to be a real nice set-up. But, I ended up buying the 1982 Morton Vagan. One of the guys here (in Florida) was familiar with the Morton and the manner the owner took care of it. It gave me a better feeling buying sight unseen to have a third party speak highly of it. The owner kept meticulous records of everything he ever did to the car.

SCCAForums Image

Now, I'm chomping at the bit to get it home. LONG drive back, approx. 22 hours. Scott

Lynn
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    27 Jan 2008 01:58 PM
    That's the car I was thinking of when I typed Martin. Oh well, at least I got the consonants right. Congrats on the purchase. I never saw the car, but the pics of it are great.
    snookwheel

--
    05 Feb 2008 06:52 AM

I got it home.... one LONG drive. The ramps, winch etc. worked out well. I was able to use the same tie down mounts as for the jeeps. This solved a Vee storage issue for us!

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

Patrick Washburn
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    05 Feb 2008 09:25 AM
    Congrats...nice little setup. Reminds me of a bus I once knew about. ;)
    jcoyoung

--
    14 Feb 2008 01:52 AM

Looks great! I never would have thought of using an old u-haul as a toy hauler.

Hmm, looks like you have the vertical space to add a stacker and second car for when your son finishes college and takes interest in dad's new hobby. [;)]

snookwheel

--
    14 Feb 2008 08:59 PM
    jcoyoung wrote:

Hmm, looks like you have the vertical space to add a stacker and second car for when your son finishes college and takes interest in dad's new hobby. [;)]

Now THAT is a great idea! I like the way you think!

snookwheel

--
    13 Mar 2008 09:14 PM

Well as the addiction of this sport grows.. so does the need to modify the hauler. For very little $$ and time (did it after work today), I added a tire rack. Two 24" E-tracks, two E-track 2x4 holders, 4 2x4's and a couple of 2x4 hangers and the project is finished! I have 6' 2" clearance under the rack. Not that I need it.

This would work for any enclosed trailer.

The bottom 2x4's are screwed into the etrack clamps.

SCCAForums Image

The rear upper 2x4 just sits in a 2x4 hanger bracket on each end. Easy to lift the board out to remove tires and keeps the tires from bouncing out. there is another one in front of the rack.

SCCAForums Image

And, 6' 2" clearance for those taller than me.

SCCAForums Image

snookwheel

--
    26 Aug 2008 06:52 AM
    Sigh.... time to sell her. Posting in the classifieds.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner