Saturday cruise...(pics)
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
DRAG

--
11 Feb 2008 11:59 AM

I woke up Saturday with the intentions of getting my EVO VIII ready for the new buyer :( Needless to say I'm not looking forward to getting rid of that car. I went outside and it was so nice out...it seemed like a perfect day for a few spirited turns. So Nick (Locked) and I went for a little cruise. I can't wait for auto-x season to start so we can get back into pushing cars 10/10ths :D

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

We took a little cruise down SR 39 towards Monrovia then decided there was too much traffic. So we headed back into Danville to a pretty treacherous road made of many 90 degree switchbacks with lots of road hazards. They are all 2nd gear turns and the straights between them vary in length...some allowing short bursts to 60...some allowing up to 115mph between them (of course we did nothing over the speed limit :D...this is only what "could" be done) It is something where we always remind each other that 8/10ths is pushing it and 10/10ths could get you killed. We always take cars through there to deem them worthy, and brakes become the limiting component by the end of the road.

I led, and I was being very careful, but I also found it extremely easy to go fast and be in control. The AYC is great, and the brakes are nothing short of outstanding. Every other car I have driven on this stretch this hard loses some pedal, but these showed no fatigue whatsoever. Nick was able to keep up no problem and at times he could have run over me, but the 2 cars appear to behave in a different manner when being pushed through the corners. His car would slide towards the outside of the corner...no understeer, but it behaved the way an EVO does...a controlled and even slide through the corner....enter hard...brake late, and full power midway through the corner...tires screaming for mercy. I could enter too fast and leave under power and the car rotated nicely. Understeer is not even an option for you in this car. It rotates perfectly and then the AYC keeps the rear from going anywhere, but still allows a controlled slide. You can't feel the AYC interfere, but having taken this road many times in my VIII, I can tell it is more controlled.

Acceleration of the 2 cars was nearly identical, with the X having maybe a slight power spike upon spoolup and the VIII having a little more above 6000rpm. In reality, we could probably hold hands through 4 gears...ha ha.

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

brgmcs

--
    11 Feb 2008 08:57 PM

Sounds like a great day!

Two more weeks and you can go 10/10ths safely!

DRAG

--
    12 Feb 2008 11:47 AM
    brgmcs wrote:

Yep and I can't wait. I used to get myself into all kinds of trouble on the roads...and I am greatful that I was introduced to auto-x. It has calmed my daily driving down considerably and made driving hard so much more fun just knowing that the hardest thing I'm going to hit is a cone!

Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12 Feb 2008 11:53 AM
    What a beautiful day! I certainly had a lot of fun.
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    12 Feb 2008 12:01 PM
    brgmcs wrote:

I might bring out my '94 Mitsubishi Diamante with broken power steering and rusted out muffler for this one. (I would most likely need to go into reverse for some of the tight turns) Ah, it would never pass inspection...

Anyone looking for a co-driver for the Columbus fun event?

DRAG, where are these streets you were on? Trees? My neighbors are starting to get upset with my chicane taking antics... (sometimes I get up to 20mph [:P]) So, are you keeping the Azenis or do they go with the Evo VIII sale? Do they not fit on the Evo X?

DRAG

--
    13 Feb 2008 11:42 AM
    The Nebulizer wrote:

DRAG, where are these streets you were on? Trees? My neighbors are starting to get upset with my chicane taking antics... (sometimes I get up to 20mph [:P]) So, are you keeping the Azenis or do they go with the Evo VIII sale? Do they not fit on the Evo X?

They are going with the car. They are a 245 45 17 and the X has a stock 245 40 18 Advan. So far the stock tires feel promising...but I will certainly replace them with Azenis instead of $300/tire Advans LOL!

You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner