31 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
brgmcs

--
17 Feb 2008 12:09 PM

It isn't Indy Region, but the first Fun Event at Walesboro next Sunday is a chance for Indy Region drivers to blow the cobwebs out of your cars and helmets. Come on down. We'll have an event rain, shine or snow.

Andy Ucter

--
    18 Feb 2008 08:51 AM
    we'll be there!!! YAAAAY!!!!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Feb 2008 10:18 AM
    I hope it snows!
    DRAG

--
    18 Feb 2008 10:55 AM
    I am supposed to be in Iowa, but I'm going to try and postpone that trip a day so that I can run. Walesboro was WAY fun last year [:D]
    Andy Ucter

--
    18 Feb 2008 11:36 AM
    oh, wait, can't be there :( I was thinking you were talking about the april 6th event.
    brgmcs

--
    18 Feb 2008 08:01 PM
    You must have serious calendar issues! [:D]
    gripfreak89

--
    19 Feb 2008 08:20 AM
    count my brother and i in, probably both driving his car on crappy tires...!
    Andy Ucter

--
    19 Feb 2008 08:23 AM

no, i'm just really frazzled..

I need a vacation..

5 days off after tomorrow.. horray

dbrier
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    22 Feb 2008 07:36 PM
    brgmcs wrote:

It isn't Indy Region, but the first Fun Event at Walesboro next Sunday is a chance for Indy Region drivers to blow the cobwebs out of your cars and helmets. Come on down. We'll have an event rain, shine or snow.

Any guess as to what the condtions will be on the track?

Do the other users of the site clear it.? Some of the AWD guys were wondering and hoping it would be icy and snow covered. [6]

brgmcs

--
    22 Feb 2008 09:24 PM
    dbrier wrote:
    brgmcs wrote:

Any guess as to what the condtions will be on the track?

Do the other users of the site clear it.? Some of the AWD guys were wondering and hoping it would be icy and snow covered. [6]

At this point it's a bit of a cr@p shoot. I'm going to guess that it will be clear pavement for the most part, but I don't know. I doubt there have been many trucks out there in the last couple days, and I don't think the site is typically plowed. I'd love to have another Snow Event, as the last one was a blast.

I haven't decided which tires to put on the car yet. Either the 195/55-16 Michelin X-Ice, or the 215/50-16 Avon M500s. The one given is that the R comps are staying at home. I'll be there either way.

The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    22 Feb 2008 11:49 PM

Any idea what the off track conditions are like? If we slide off course, would we be in any danger from anything? I assume the corn is all cut down short, but what about the giant sprinkler thing?

All I have are summer performance tires (ContiSportContact). I am itching to get in an event, but the snow is scaring me a bit. (I have never driven my car in snow - let alone autocrossed it) I am counting on the sun to melt away the snow tomorrow. I could try my '94 Diamante - if it is really slick, the broken power steering will be less of an issue to fight with. It would actually be kind of fun to try it - perhaps the worst autocross vehicle ever. (broken power steering and old weak engine in a large sedan with ancient shocks and leaky front tires) Is there a full tech inspection for fun events? I know I would need to strap the battery down and maybe take care of a few other things to get it worthy.

Maybe someone is looking for a co-driver?[A]

Or, maybe a rental car...

dbrier
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 Feb 2008 07:56 AM

They are calling for a high of 31 and mostly cloudy today in Columbus, so what ever is there now will probaby be there tomorrow.

Anyone want to scout and report back?

brgmcs

--
    23 Feb 2008 12:35 PM

Report back from the guys setting up the course - the site currently has about 1" of snow covered by ice. The sun is out now and melting stuff up here in Greenwood, but tomorrow will probably start out pretty low friction and improve towards the end of the day. I'm going to stick with the snow tires. The course is relatively short, and we'll probably do one car at a time. When I say short, keep in mind that the typical course down there is real close to a mile. Dress accordingly, and keep in mind that your shoes might get wet.

It's a fun event so times don't count towards year end points but times will be kept and posted. All normal rules apply, so cars do need to pass tech. Don't forget, the purpose of tech inspections is to try and make sure the car is safe to run, not to see if it is legal. Batteries will need to be secured, lug nuts in place, etc.

Registration and Tech close at 10am. I'm going to guess that we'll be done by mid-afternoon as that is typical. Post or email if you have questions. I'll check back this evening around dinner time.

duck_hunter_117

--
    23 Feb 2008 06:26 PM
    Sounds like it should be interesting. I am still trying to decide between driving my Fiero which has newer summer tires but will spin around if I look at it wrong in the snow or the Suzuki which has decent AWD but summer tires which are at the wear marks. Either way I'm sliding all over the place.
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    23 Feb 2008 08:18 PM
    I am not going to be able to make this one. I suffer from severe and excrutiating migraines that last several days - one started last night (this is my first time vertical since), but I won't be well enough by tomorrow to leave my bed, let alone drive. I go blind and numb over half my body and my head hurts like hell - like to the point where I need to bang it into walls to shift the pain - driving doesn't work so well (the first day or so I can't even read). I need to see another neurologist, because they are getting more frequent. Work stress always seems to bring them out Friday nights ruining my weekend - then they are usually cleared up enough for me to get back to work on Monday.[:'(] If I am feeling significantly better tomorrow, I might come out to watch the fun though.
    dbrier
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 Feb 2008 08:20 PM

Here is a picture from early this morning (not mine). It describes what Scott was saying. I'll bet the sun today melted most of it like it did here in Indy.

http://www.vehmic.com/upload/IMG_3706.jpg

DRAG

--
    23 Feb 2008 10:23 PM
    I'm stuck in Iowa and won't be home until tomorrow night :( Bummer. Snow sounds like so much fun.
    brgmcs

--
    24 Feb 2008 08:12 PM

You guys should have come out. It was a blast. Ended up with a little over a 1/2 mile course, 6 runs broken up into two sets of 3 for each driver so no one had to stand at a work station for 6 runs straight (other than Randy Hall, Bill Farr and Bob Farr who spent the whole day working - thanks guys!). Finished picking up about 3:30. I just submitted results to our Web Master, so they should be up fairly soon.

Next event is March 30th. The first Driver's School of the 2008 season is April 19th.

Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Feb 2008 08:31 AM

What a fun event! As the day progressed the course got better and better from a slight increase in air temps and the # of cars clearing the way leaving those in the very last group with a definate advantage.

Every run for me was almost like learning the course all over again. Braking, acceleration, and turning zones all changed with each run. I couldn't just correct or improve upon my decisions from the previous run.

I could push harder in some sections, but other sections would be still be a complete sheet of ice/snow. I needed a lot of discipline in these sections. I also needed to aim for the 'clean' sections in the corners, as I would slide into them with no grip I was afraid the car would never find it and completely push through the exit then all of a sudden the car would turn. This required a great deal of trust.

It was fun to drive in the unpredictable.

Thank you to those who pushed me out of the field. My car must think it's a combine or something. [:P]

dbrier
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Feb 2008 04:44 PM

I should have come out.

Matt did well (blue STi). He's from NY and he did a lot of ice racing out there.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner