You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
balefire
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
03 Mar 2008 05:59 PM

So I'm considering going to a couple more nearby autox's this year besides Columbus and Indy. I know I've spoke to a few of you before about this, but I can't remember anymore. Guess I'm getting old. Anyway, what's the surface like at:

Cincinatti River Downs - Asphalt. Sandy. Small?
    Rantoul, IL - Concrete. Smooth. Big.
    Parkland College, IL - Asphalt. Quality? Size?
    Coles County, IL - Concrete, Smooth. Small
    Fort Wayne Navistar - Asphalt. Quality? Size?
    Indy region? Any updates for our region?

Thanks!

Paul
    BS #35

EDIT: MY INDY LOCAL AUTOX LIST
    -Based on myautoevents.com, planet-torque, indyscca, cscc-scca, cincyscca, and scca.com. GASS, Ft. Wayne pending.
    -All sites are < 2h away, except NTs and Pro Solo's

Mar 16 - River Down
    Mar 30 - Columbus

Apr 6 - 16th St
    Apr 12,13 - Arkansas Pro
    Apr 19,20 - Rantoul
    Apr 19,20 - Peru TT (Corvette)
    Apr 20 - Columbus
    Apr 27 - 16th St
    Apr 27 - Navistar?

May 3 - Parkland College
    May 17,18 - Rantoul
    May 18 - Peru?
    May 24,25 - Georgia NT
    May 25 - Peru (TSSCC)
    May 25 - Navistar?
    May 26 - Columbus
    May 31,1 - Rantoul

June 8 - Indy TBD
    June 21,22 -Rantoul
    June 22 - Columbus
    June 22 - Navistar?
    June 28 - Peru NT

July 5,6 - Toledo Pro
    July 19 - Milw NT

duck_hunter_117

--
    03 Mar 2008 09:50 PM
    Check out youtube and search "river downs scca" or "river downs autox". There are a couple videos of some events there. It looks like a good size lot to run on.
    Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Mar 2008 09:05 AM

Paul...
    Update for our region at this minute is that we are running events at 16th Street and Grissom. Dates for Grissom are TBD at this point because we have not received the agreements from them yet. Should get those soon then the dates will be posted.

We are currently pursuing other sites. Check the minutes of the Solo Steering Committee meetings for details.

For other regions sites....I have run an event at Route 66 in Joliet, IL. Nice asphalt surface there. Also run at Wright State U. in Dayton, but I don't think that site is available any longer (I don't see it on anyone's schedule as of today).

-Will

Andy Ucter

--
    04 Mar 2008 09:32 AM

I'll be at the river downs event on March 16.. with some friends..

I hear fort-wayne's navistar site is nice..

their verizon lot is too small.. and they don't run their kruse events until fall.. which is like topeka... but bumpier..

as big as indy is.. you'd think they would have more secure sites they can use.. same with fort wayne really..

MVSCC lost the wright state and nutter center lots.. which is a shame!!! I've never been to their kilkare site..so i don't know whether i should be looking forward to it or not!

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 Mar 2008 10:30 AM

It's not because we aren't trying to find more sites. Mt Comfort was a great site last year, I wsa really sad to see it go.

turbohappy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Mar 2008 10:57 AM
    Central Illinois is worth checking out as well if you want more events. Their sites seem to all be big, fairly smooth, and concrete and you always get a lot of runs. With the time difference, you don't have to get up any earlier than if you're running at 16th street (will get home later though).
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 Mar 2008 11:49 AM

It would be nice if we could put together a schedule of nearby races - like within 2 hours or so of Indy. Does anyone have any of this information already? Then we could also make any comments about conditions, layouts, special rules, etc. I will try to get some information from nearby regions to get this started, but I have not been outside of Indy or Columbus to comment on anything.

I am also planning on setting up a thread for each event in Indy (and probably Columbus) where we can post everything (or at least links) related to that event there (reminder, pics, results, discussion, whining, etc. ).

balefire
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Mar 2008 11:55 AM

The Joliet, IL Rt 66 site is a very nice blacktop surface, and course times are anywhere from 40-60 sec for stock classes. But its Chicago's only nice site. It seems that even in Chicago, they have problems... Also, its 3 hrs away which would get vetoed by my family...

So basically I'm looking for sites about 2h away such as Rantoul, River Downs, and Ft. Wayne.

Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Mar 2008 12:10 PM
    The Nebulizer wrote:

It would be nice if we could put together a schedule of nearby races - like within 2 hours or so of Indy. Does anyone have any of this information already? Then we could also make any comments about conditions, layouts, special rules, etc. I will try to get some information from nearby regions to get this started, but I have not been outside of Indy or Columbus to comment on anything.

I am also planning on setting up a thread for each event in Indy (and probably Columbus) where we can post everything (or at least links) related to that event there (reminder, pics, results, discussion, whining, etc. ).

PM'd.

duck_hunter_117

--
    04 Mar 2008 12:36 PM
    The Nebulizer wrote:

GASS had complied a schedule of all the GLDiv/CenDiv events here http://www.soloseries.org/Calendar.pdf They don't have one out for this year yet, but I would think they might do something similar again this year.
    GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 Mar 2008 03:30 PM
    The Nebulizer wrote:

www.myautoevents.com

All the autocross events you will ever dream of going to.

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 Mar 2008 03:35 PM
    Paul, IMO, unless you are desperate to run, I wouldn't bother with River Downs. It's a small lot and was EXTREMELY dirty the last time I ran there. There was actually a huge pile of sand right next to the course. They spent an hour sweeping and it still wasn't very clean. HS Mazda 3s smoked Gus and I by several seconds just by running in a later heat than us, if that gives you any indication of how dirty the lot was. I don't see me making the effort to go to that event unless the weather is perfect and I am Jonesing bigtime to run and I am guaranteed to run in the last heat.
    SopFu

--
    04 Mar 2008 07:36 PM

Here's my list:

3/16: River Downs, Cincy, OH (weather permitting)

3/23: Nothing yet

3/30: River Downs (Evo School); Columbus, IN; Owensboro, KY (really nice cement surface, kinda small - GREAT club, though, http://www.sirscca.org/)

4/6: Sparta, KY (cincy SCCA); 16th st W/Indy. Sparta is fun just because the roads to get down there are fun. They run in the parking lot of the NASCAR track. It's a funny shape, and they usually have to do lots of slolems to accommodate the shape of the lot. They usually pull from 4 regions, so lots of people show up - usually 100+ cars.

4/13: Nothing yet

4/20: Test N Tun at Grissom W/Corvette club (Saturday, too); Sparta, KY w/Cincy; Columbus, IN; Milwakee

4/27: Indy TBD

Early May: I'm in training out of state - Will be running the car around the Quad Cities, Winged Warrior is the 9th/10th, though

5/18: Indy TBD; KY SCCA @ Papa Johns Stadiom, SIR SCCA @ Lawrenceville, IL w/SIR; Milwakee. Papa Johns is a bit sandy, it gets better as the day goes on. Another venue with a lot of active clubs nearby, and they usually pull in 100+ cars. Lawrenceville is on cement, but they have to design the course around craters. They have a set course, which they don't always run but given the limitations in course design due to the obstacles...

5/26: Columbus, IN

6/1: Nothing yet

6/8: Indy; Milwakee; Lawrenceville, IL w/S. Ill SCCA.

6/15: Lincoln City w/SIR. Never been there, this year will be a first for me. I think it's in Kentucky.

6/22: Columbus, IN

6/28-29: Peru National Tour (I didn't write down any other events 'cause I'll be here)

7/5-6: Toledo Pro Solo National Tour

7/13: Columbus, IN; Owensburo, KY

719-20 Milwakee National Tour

7/26-27: Miata's at the Gap (not solo, but still fun)

8/3: Lawrenceville, IL

8/10: Columbus, IN; Papa Johns, KY

8/17: Indy; Milwaukee; Owensboro, KY

8/24: Lawrenceville, IL

8/30-31: Kansas City National Tour; Columbus, IN

9/7: River Downs w/cincy; Indy; Lawrenceville, IL

9/14: nothing yet

9/21: River Downs w/cincy; milwaukee

9/28: Columbus, IN

10/5: River Downs; Indy

10/12: Columbus, IN; Milwaukee; Lawrenceville, IL

10/19: River Downs; Indy

10/26: Nothing Yet

Once Rantoul and GASS get their lists posted I'll fill in the blanks. I might make a trip down to Lexington, too, if I get bored in Indiana. Should be a good year!

balefire
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Mar 2008 08:51 PM
    Eclipse2Lancer wrote:

Update for our region at this minute is that we are running events at 16th Street and Grissom. Dates for Grissom are TBD at this point because we have not received the agreements from them yet. Should get those soon then the dates will be posted.

We are currently pursuing other sites. Check the minutes of the Solo Steering Committee meetings for details.

I won't have any complaints if we replace all the Mt. Comfort events last year with Peru, although it seemed last year that the turnout at Peru was not as good as the more local events...

I also just updated my first post with my early season indy local autox list.

Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    05 Mar 2008 08:01 AM
    balefire wrote:
    Eclipse2Lancer wrote:

I won't have any complaints if we replace all the Mt. Comfort events last year with Peru, although it seemed last year that the turnout at Peru was not as good as the more local events...

I also just updated my first post with my early season indy local autox list.

HINT: make sure you pay close attention to 5/18, 9/7 and 10/26 Indy dates. [;)]

Glad to see you are planning on participating in the Indy hosted NT @ Peru.....more to come on that soon......

SopFu - Change your 10/19 Indy date to 10/26. Schedule updated on our website.

turbohappy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    06 Mar 2008 05:21 PM

Rantoul, IL - Concrete. Smoother than Grissom. Fairly large, shape means there are always several 180s here.

Coles County, IL - Concrete. Pad is smooth as butter and grippy, best surface ever. But kind of small so they usually run out onto the runway (normally active) which is typical smooth concrete with rain grooves. Runway is a little narrow, but they only have 1 at a time out on the runway section so it's all good. This makes the site a good size. Last time I was here the corner workers said I was up on 2 wheels almost every run at the turn-around at the end of the runway on my street tires if that gives an indication of the grip level. One of my favorite places to run.

Parkland College, IL - Asphalt parking lot. I've never been to this one.

balefire
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    07 Mar 2008 09:48 PM

Brian,

Thanks for the heads up. I knew about the Champaign County SCCA, but I didn't realize there was a Central Illinois SCCA too. Hopefully I'll make it out to some Rantoul and Coles County autox's this year.

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    12 Mar 2008 07:18 PM

GChambers wrote:
    Paul, IMO, unless you are desperate to run, I wouldn't bother with River Downs. It's a small lot and was EXTREMELY dirty the last time I ran there. There was actually a huge pile of sand right next to the course. They spent an hour sweeping and it still wasn't very clean. HS Mazda 3s smoked Gus and I by several seconds just by running in a later heat than us, if that gives you any indication of how dirty the lot was. I don't see me making the effort to go to that event unless the weather is perfect and I am Jonesing bigtime to run and I am guaranteed to run in the last heat.

Here I go getting desperate and maybe going to River Downs this weekend. I need to race and there doesn't seem to be an event within 300 miles besides this one. If the weather says shitty I won't go but if it warms up, I may have no choice.

balefire
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    13 Mar 2008 07:14 AM
    GChambers wrote:

GChambers wrote:

Here I go getting desperate and maybe going to River Downs this weekend. I need to race and there doesn't seem to be an event within 300 miles besides this one. If the weather says shitty I won't go but if it warms up, I may have no choice.

Yup, if you've got the itch, then Cincinnati is the only game in town for a few weeks. Obviously nothing north of us is ready to go, and we would have to go a long ways south to find something else. Forecast looks sunny on Sunday, but rain on Sat and Monday in Cincinnati, so who knows... For me, its completely dependent if I can find a baby sitter...

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    13 Mar 2008 10:26 AM
    balefire wrote:
    GChambers wrote:

GChambers wrote:

Yup, if you've got the itch, then Cincinnati is the only game in town for a few weeks. Obviously nothing north of us is ready to go, and we would have to go a long ways south to find something else. Forecast looks sunny on Sunday, but rain on Sat and Monday in Cincinnati, so who knows... For me, its completely dependent if I can find a baby sitter...

Paul, if you go, give me a call. I will PM you my number.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner