Sunoco 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 03 Apr 2008 11:34 AM by  gripfreak89
2008 Columbus SoloII #1 (March 30th: Walesboro)
 36 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
RonConrad
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
29 Mar 2008 04:37 PM

Well, it don't look like I'm going to make it. For some reason my turn signals, backup lights, and gauges don't come on. My hazard lights come on fine. I've replaced fuses, cut off my trailer wires, took my front bumper off, cut my fog lights off (they were crappy ones anyway), and replace the turn signal / headlight switch with 3 others. I've got some kind of ground problem, maybe a bad backup switch? Who knows. My brakes got rusty from sitting over the Winter, and my tires are weather checked.

Plan on staying home Sunday, and between the rain storms (or it may not rain) try to figure out my problems. I had an intermittent problem last Fall when I parked it, where the tach would just stop working, I'd hit a bump in the road, and then it would come on again. My shift light works fine.

Well, have fun, and I should have all my problems resolved by next Sunday. (Taking the car to a mechanic, if I can't figure it out).

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
29 Mar 2008 11:09 PM
RonConrad wrote:

Well, it don't look like I'm going to make it. For some reason my turn signals, backup lights, and gauges don't come on. My hazard lights come on fine. I've replaced fuses, cut off my trailer wires, took my front bumper off, cut my fog lights off (they were crappy ones anyway), and replace the turn signal / headlight switch with 3 others. I've got some kind of ground problem, maybe a bad backup switch? Who knows. My brakes got rusty from sitting over the Winter, and my tires are weather checked.

Plan on staying home Sunday, and between the rain storms (or it may not rain) try to figure out my problems. I had an intermittent problem last Fall when I parked it, where the tach would just stop working, I'd hit a bump in the road, and then it would come on again. My shift light works fine.

Well, have fun, and I should have all my problems resolved by next Sunday. (Taking the car to a mechanic, if I can't figure it out).

Just drive slowly with your hazards on to Columbus. Well, at least it isn't anything major - just frustrating to track down. Good luck tracking down that ground problem.

Weather update - now down to 40% chance of rain during the day... maybe we will get lucky[:)]

(I won't mention next week's forcast... here's a hint, its the same thing all week...)

RonConrad
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
30 Mar 2008 10:08 AM

I actually thought about that until I looked at my dry rotted tires. I just mounted those tires last season. The sun really dried them out on the outside.

Turns out the neighbor's son-in-law is a Honda mechanic, and is willing to come over this week, and help me figure it out. Since I own 3 Honda Civic (Civic Si, CRX Si, and Wagovan), he'll probably become my "new best friend".

Walesboro is a fun place to run even though the surface is not grippy. The courses are usually a mile long!

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
31 Mar 2008 12:30 AM

Did anyone spot the new camoflaged Challenger (EDIT: or was it even a Camaro?) running some test sprints just outside of the Walesboro course?

Is this car out yet or do you think this was some kind of test vehicle? I know I haven't seen one on the streets yet. It was black with a bunch of white triangle oultines all over it. Seems it must have been some kind of test vehicle as no one would choose to paint it like that. And, it had some kind of instrument stuck on its passenger side window.

EDIT: come to think of it, I think it was a new Camaro, which I know is not out yet. Did anyone get a good look at it to know what it was? It definitely seemed like something I had not seen before. Paul and I saw it as we were running the mud off the M3 in the puddles. Now, I wish I had snapped a picture.

mtownneon
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
31 Mar 2008 08:00 AM
The Nebulizer wrote:

Did anyone spot the new camoflaged Challenger (EDIT: or was it even a Camaro?) running some test sprints just outside of the Walesboro course?

Is this car out yet or do you think this was some kind of test vehicle? I know I haven't seen one on the streets yet. It was black with a bunch of white triangle oultines all over it. Seems it must have been some kind of test vehicle as no one would choose to paint it like that. And, it had some kind of instrument stuck on its passenger side window.

EDIT: come to think of it, I think it was a new Camaro, which I know is not out yet. Did anyone get a good look at it to know what it was? It definitely seemed like something I had not seen before. Paul and I saw it as we were running the mud off the M3 in the puddles. Now, I wish I had snapped a picture.

More than likely it was a Camaro mule. The Challenger SRT-8 is in production now with cars being delivered to dealers starting in April. GM says the Camaro will be introduced as a 2010 model.

A couple of interesting asides;

The 2008 Challenger is only offered as a top of the line SRT-8 model in limited quanities. Chrysler has pretty much all but sold the entire 2008 run already. The rest of the Challenger line up for 2009 was un-veiled at the New York Auto Show recently. There will be 3 versions of the Challenger, a 250hp V-6 powered SXT, a 5.7L Hemi powered R/T, and the 425hp, 6.1L SRT-8. The 2008 SRT-8's are only offered with a 5-speed automatic, but in '09, both 5 and 6 speed manuals will be available.

There have been several spottings of Camaro mules sporting SS badging and stripes reminicient of those found on '69 Camaros.

SCCA is reported to be in negotiations with GM, Ford, and Chrysler to participate in resurecting the Trans-Am series using the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger. It is considered by many that the best days of Trans-Am was 1968 to 1970, with 1970 being the pinacle of the series, when all of the American manufactuers were backing factory efforts that produced production models such as the T/A Challenger, AAR 'Cuda, the Trans-Am, Z-28 Camaro, and Boss 302 Mustang. It would be very cool to see the iconic American pony cars swapping paint again on road courses around the country!

balefire
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
31 Mar 2008 08:12 AM

mtownneon wrote:

There have been several spottings of Camaro mules sporting SS badging and stripes reminicient of those found on '69 Camaros.

This camaro mule didn't have stripes. It looked like it wore army camouflage attire in white and black. If I wasn't so worried about the mess I made, I would have otherwise snapped some pics with my phone.

And good job Jason for royally kicking my butt almost the entire day. Your car looks and feels awesome. Now about those tires. Maybe we can find you a cheap used set of sticky street tires. What size do you run?

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
31 Mar 2008 08:59 AM
balefire wrote:

mtownneon wrote:

This camaro mule didn't have stripes. It looked like it wore army camouflage attire in white and black. If I wasn't so worried about the mess I made, I would have otherwise snapped some pics with my phone.

And good job Jason for royally kicking my butt almost the entire day. Your car looks and feels awesome. Now about those tires. Maybe we can find you a cheap used set of sticky street tires. What size do you run?

Paul, in your graceful humility, I am not sure you made it clear to everyone that I beat you on my final run... but popped a cone - oh, and that you spun the car off into the corn. [:P] BTW the video is going up on youtube so you can show everyone. [:D] (you'll never be able to live this one down... it will be immortalized in internet history)

BTW Did anyone get a photo of the M3 sitting in the cornfield? I wanted a picture, but was kind of preoccupied with yelling at Paul... [;)]

The car is definitely handling better with greatly reduced understeer (undefeated in SM this year!) and my in car training helped a lot - "Brake! Brake! Brake! Brake! Brake! Brake!....... Go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Go!...." (too bad the video didn't pick up sound well, that was some good stuff, Paul - there is a new firmware that improves the excessive microphone gain). I definitely need to work on my early braking and not getting behind in the slalom - and easing the throttle a little better - but other than that I think I did pretty well besides the occassional brainfart - like forgetting to shift or getting lost on the course. Given the great times the STU crowd was running, I still have a ton of work to do to be competitive. (Can I maybe put some of the blame on RWD vs 4WD in the rain... maybe?... I know there was a big issue with getting power down and tripping DSC constantly on accelleration.)

It was a fun day despite all the rain - thanks for the help, Paul! Seeing a great driver drive your car really opens your eyes a lot - and scares the crap out you when they decide to 'give you an in car demonstration of what it is like to lose control' [:P] (that never gets old... )

As for tires, currenty I am running 255s. I can safely fit 265/35/18 up front (rear can go as wide as 285/35/18, but I think most M3'ers go with the same size all around, which sounds a lot easier for rotating etc.). I'll keep my eyes out for some cheap used ones, but for now I think I am better off limiting my car spending for a while. What do you think of Michelin Pilot Sports? Those also come stock on M3s and I would have access to cheap, used 255s.

Thanks again, Paul - it was a lot of fun. I hope driving a different car was benficial to you too. I know I learned a lot yesterday and felt pretty good about my driving by the end of the event.

And, thanks to everyone in Columbus for a great event (given the conditions). And, thanks for everyone who helped get the M3 out of the corn with no issues. (I have to get a tow hook... thanks Mini XP guy for the hook.)

GChambers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
31 Mar 2008 10:04 AM

Gus, German and I had a great time yesterday. It was a quagmire but well worth it. Kevin Kent was outstanding. Nobody was going to touch him yesterday.

Yours wasn't the only car in the corn fields yesterday but I do think it went in further than anyone else. Good form, Paul. It will be fun to see the vids.

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
31 Mar 2008 11:24 AM
GChambers wrote:

Gus, German and I had a great time yesterday. It was a quagmire but well worth it. Kevin Kent was outstanding. Nobody was going to touch him yesterday.

Yours wasn't the only car in the corn fields yesterday but I do think it went in further than anyone else. Good form, Paul. It will be fun to see the vids.

Kevin Kent is amazing. He seems so laid back and cool about it too. He's like Fonzy or something. Scott Dales got pretty close though as a co-driver of a car he had never driven. I would have liked to have seen the STU guys run the course. 4 of the 6 best times were STUs with no tire bonus even - maybe I need to stick to SM...

Your Miatas looked great on the course. So effortless and smooth in your driving lines - it was like you were hardly steering. Working the end of the course, I saw you go right for the final slalom. I thought for sure the left would be better when walking the course, but coming out of that last garage with the proper angle - you could cut out the first cone by taking the line to the right and it wasn't that hard to get the angle.

Paul definitely sent the M3 deeper than any other car. Hopefully, someone has a good photo. Between the tears, I saw people taking pictures - please post or send one to me if you have one. (Due to poor angle of the in-car video you can't really tell how deep it got. Must have been a good 12 feet or more.)

EDIT: BTW I formalized the title of this thread - I am going to try to get a thread like this for every event within the area. I'll also update the first post with some info,links,etc. Just trying to keep things orderly.

Eclipse2Lancer
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
31 Mar 2008 11:40 AM
^^ Yes, Kevin is very good. Walk the course with him sometime if you can.
GChambers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
31 Mar 2008 01:25 PM

The Nebulizer wrote:

Your Miatas looked great on the course. So effortless and smooth in your driving lines - it was like you were hardly steering. Working the end of the course, I saw you go right for the final slalom. I thought for sure the left would be better when walking the course, but coming out of that last garage with the proper angle - you could cut out the first cone by taking the line to the right and it wasn't that hard to get the angle.

We figured going right for the final slalom was a no-brainer so I did it on every run. I was quite suprised to see how many people went left. IMO, going right took one cone out of the slalom. But, when you are dealing with the 110 thundering horsepower of a Miata, getting to the right was not much of an issue. It took one full transition out of the course which should be good for quite a bit of time.

Basic Member
Basic Member

--
01 Apr 2008 01:15 PM

The Nebulizer wrote:
Scott Dales got pretty close though as a co-driver of a car he had never driven. I would have liked to have seen the STU guys run the course. 4 of the 6 best times were STUs with no tire bonus even - maybe I need to stick to SM...

I was very impressed with Scott! Never driving that car and putting up his fastest time on the first pass. He let me ride along during pass #2 or #3 and I dropped 4 seconds that I can credit 100% to watching him take the course. Thanks Scott!

balefire
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
01 Apr 2008 10:44 PM

The Nebulizer wrote:
BTW Did anyone get a photo of the M3 sitting in the cornfield? I wanted a picture, but was kind of preoccupied with yelling at Paul... [;)]

I distinctly recall several people snapping pics with their phones. Thankfully you're too kind a person to yell...

The Nebulizer wrote:
I know there was a big issue with getting power down and tripping DSC constantly on accelleration.)

I still think you will learn more about your car w/o DSC than with. That being said, it was stupid of me to shut it off in a car I'm not familiar with in the rain...

The Nebulizer wrote:
As for tires, currenty I am running 255s. I can safely fit 265/35/18 up front (rear can go as wide as 285/35/18, but I think most M3'ers go with the same size all around, which sounds a lot easier for rotating etc.). I'll keep my eyes out for some cheap used ones, but for now I think I am better off limiting my car spending for a while. What do you think of Michelin Pilot Sports? Those also come stock on M3s and I would have access to cheap, used 255s.

The Michelins will only be marginally better. I would look for 265/35/18s in Yoko Advans, RE-01Rs, BFG KDs, Dunlop Direzza Z1, or Kook R-S2 in the classifieds. I'll keep my eye out...

The Nebulizer wrote:
And, thanks to everyone in Columbus for a great event (given the conditions). And, thanks for everyone who helped get the M3 out of the corn with no issues. (I have to get a tow hook... thanks Mini XP guy for the hook.)

Thank goodness your car accepted a tow hook. I can just see myself trying to jack up your car in the mud to tow it... Big thanks to everyone who helped us out...

Paul

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
01 Apr 2008 11:09 PM
balefire wrote:

I still think you will learn more about your car w/o DSC than with.

Thank goodness your car accepted a tow hook. I can just see myself trying to jack up your car in the mud to tow it... Big thanks to everyone who helped us out...

Paul

Oh, I plan to turn DSC off - I'll have it off this weekend. I just knew the rain was going to be too much for me to handle especially coming off the long off season. Certainly the car can go a lot faster with DSC off due to all the slow down on acceleration. (I have practiced sliding the back end around throughout indy to get the feel of it.)

Tow hooks rule. I got really worried when they started looking for a way to tow it after opening the hood. I could just see something getting torn off the car... But, with that borrowed Mini hook bolted on, I knew it was all going to be fine.

Terry3rdgenhatchdx

--
02 Apr 2008 01:55 AM

I just wish i could've ran the rest of the day, stupid work (i'm talking about my real job, not the autocross working) if it wasn't a sunday on double time overtime i would've called in sick...

I hope it's not raining next time, and i can run 1st work 2nd :D

Found out i don't have pneumonia, some other sickness can't pronounce or spell it but i guess my cartilage is inflamed, due to being exposed to the elements...

I had fun though!

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
02 Apr 2008 10:52 AM
Terry3rdgenhatchdx wrote:
I hope it's not raining next time, and i can run 1st work 2nd :D

Found out i don't have pneumonia, some other sickness can't pronounce or spell it but i guess my cartilage is inflamed, due to being exposed to the elements...

I had fun though!

Welcome to the site, Terry. I think I learned all there is to know about Hondas working with you [:P]

You should have asked your girlfriend to go get the umbrellas - she didn't need to stand out there if she wasn't competing and she could have left to get them. Get well soon.

gripfreak89

--
03 Apr 2008 11:34 AM
GChambers wrote:

I dont know what a quagmire even is but it sounds like columbus. Thanks to my uncle Gus' "Nelly approved" jacket and a fart competition (which was mostly between Gus and Geoff) we all kept somewhat warm.

I could say with some certainty that Jason's BMW was in the mud at least 20 feet in. Surprizingly it came out pretty clean on not-so-muddy on the next run.

Congrats to Gus for best time on first Heat and Kevin for best time, well, ever.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner