PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 14 Apr 2008 01:16 PM by  duck_hunter_117
2008 Indy Solo #0 (April 6th: 16th Street - Fun Event)
 65 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 41234 > >>
Author Messages
The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
31 Mar 2008 12:42 PM

INDY EVENT #0: FUN EVENT at 16th Street, April 6th

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Pre-Race Information ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Post-Race Information :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

• Summary: Perfect start to the new season. The weather was amazing and Phil Wehman designed a great and deceptively tricky course (I know I certainly underestimated the zig-zag after the 2nd slalom and the wide track turn around left the the crucial drive line wide open). Unfortunately, we have to mention that an out-of-towner came to our turf and stole FTD - I am a little ashamed of everyone... Hopefully, Mike DeArmond will bring his Astock S2000 out and teach us his foreign skills so we can take what he does and use it against him. Warren Leveque seemed to have the bugs worked out of his EM Corvair to finish under 40 seconds -Brian Davis would have joined him if not for those pesky cones. The big news of the day was how big the new SMS class was - 1/5 of all racers. But, Kevin Miller had little competition and easily took the class. SS had some interesting cars in it including some pretty Porsches, M coupe, and Toyota Yaris??? (Jack Tovey was apparently resting his Viper, but wanted to run the class). With the expansion of X class, STU has a new batch of worthy, newbie leaders in Luke and Nick. Another M3 spun out in the hands of a co-driver - proving that just because it is the most beautiful car out there, it takes a skilled driver to keep it under control...[H] Nice job to the new Co-Chairs (Will Lahee and Mike Benz) for getting the event off in great form.
    • Conditions: Weather was perfect. A bit couldy early, but it warmed up to mid 60s with sun. The course was a bit dirty for first runs and seemed a bit slippery perhaps due to the cold ground.
    • Course Diagram: (Phil, do you have a diagram?)
    • Results: Results page at IndySCCA.org
    • FTD 1st: Mike DeArmond 2nd: Warren Leveque 3rd: Brian Davis
    • PAX 1st: Brian Davis 2nd: Geoffrey Chambers 3rd: Mike DeArmond
    • Photos/Video: Dick Powell's pix at IndySCCA.org
    turbohappy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    31 Mar 2008 12:56 PM

The best you could as far as diagram is something like a satellite image of the site I would think.

I'll be there.

The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    31 Mar 2008 01:02 PM
    turbohappy wrote:

The best you could as far as diagram is something like a satellite image of the site I would think.

I'll be there.

I was just thinking a crude drawing - like I have seen some course designers make. Each cone could be labeled, so we could discuss specific parts of the course. Scale would be off of course, but I could reference a satellite image to make a template to help with the scale.

Oh, and I will be there - already pre-registered. The forecast is edging a little better. It sure would be nice to have a dry day after yesterdays wash out.

turbohappy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    31 Mar 2008 04:45 PM
    The courses always seem to end up getting changed (sometimes significantly) based on safety and surface conditions that day. I printed out a bunch of copies of a course last year and then ended up throwing them away because the course we ended up with just wasn't close enough to it to be really valuable [;)] And that's not just me sucking, I noticed the Nats courses didn't 100% match the printed maps (although they were a LOT closer).
    mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    31 Mar 2008 05:15 PM

I think better than the course layout would be to have the name of the course designer. That way we get to know who the sick, twisted minds from which some of our courses are spawned.

All I need to know is when and where. I'm there. This Sunday, 16th st.

I like the looks of what you did though.

"J.J., I'm confident we shall be victorious!"

kar120c

--
    31 Mar 2008 06:25 PM

I'm doing the course for Sunday and maybe the 27th. You've probably seen this course before. It's been our test/tune course for the last 2 years and made it's first appearance in the 2005 worker invitational (in a slightly faster form than our test/tune course). I believe it was pretty well-liked. If I do the 27th course it'll be a new one. If you know my courses, they usually have a lot of room for the driver to choose their line, and don't tend to be very cone intensive.

I leave it to the co-chairs on posting ahead of time since not everybody has access to the forum.

Phil

The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    31 Mar 2008 09:39 PM

kar120c wrote:
    I leave it to the co-chairs on posting ahead of time since not everybody has access to the forum.

Oh, that was never my intent. The diagram I was planning was strictly for after the race. Posting it beforehand raises too many potential issues. I was proposing this merely as a means to discuss the track/event afterwards or as a way to look back at previous examples - not as a headstart or advance notice.

Yeah, much of what I have as potential details above is not to be filled in until after the event. (Like I did in the first post for Columbus #1) It is all just in one spot so we can open up discussion beforehand and continue it after the event in the same thread. Sorry, if I didn't make this clear.

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    01 Apr 2008 08:01 AM

Hey Phil, I'd like to get with you about the 27th. . . I had an idear or two the other night. Plus, I'd kinda like to see what goes into making a course.

As for the event, of course I'll be there. I gotta get my mitts on everyones cars!

The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    01 Apr 2008 09:20 AM
    Bobzilla wrote:

Hey Phil, I'd like to get with you about the 27th. . . I had an idear or two the other night. Plus, I'd kinda like to see what goes into making a course.

As for the event, of course I'll be there. I gotta get my mitts on everyones cars!

Oh, I see how it is, Bob - you didn't reply to my post so I wouldn't get my +15 points....

Let me guess, the center of the course will be a GIant slanted 'H' with a circle around it? [;)]

I updated the first post to clean it up a bit and clarify some of the ambiguity. There don't seem to be a lot of formatting options with these forums, but I am doing my best to make it look clean and easy to read.

duck_hunter_117

--
    01 Apr 2008 09:44 AM

The Nebulizer wrote:

Let me guess, the center of the course will be a GIant slanted 'H' with a circle around it? [;)]

Sounds like a Aussie Pursuit course to me [:)]

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    01 Apr 2008 09:44 AM
    Actually, no. It's a couple different idears I had in my head as I was falling asleep. MAy not be feasible, or even workable but it was something in my head!
    Andy Ucter

--
    01 Apr 2008 09:46 AM

Jason..

great idea!!! I especially like your post event summary format!!!

turbohappy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    01 Apr 2008 10:41 AM
    New format is good, very clear [:)]
    Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    01 Apr 2008 11:36 AM

I like your idea Jason.

Maybe you can put it in some kind of format to post on our website. Maybe another column on the results that says "Event Summary" or something like that.

Get together with me and Wilmoth at the event sometime (before or after probably) and we can discuss.

kar120c

--
    01 Apr 2008 12:45 PM
    Sure Bob, I'm glad to hear your ideas and am happy to walk you through my process. Everybody does it differently - I always do it to scale on paper first then tweak it when it's on the ground. Some people just make it up the day of, but we're trying to discourage that and would really like to have it on paper ahead of time to see if there are any big issues (makes the set-up go faster). Somewhere I have a list of design maxims that I wrote down awhile back that I can send you.
    I am trying to work in a couple of specific ideas and sketched out some alternatives last nite, but I need to look at the site again in person to see if they'll work.
    We can take this offline and discuss.
    Thanks,
    Phil
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    01 Apr 2008 01:12 PM
    Andy Ucter wrote:

Jason..

great idea!!! I especially like your post event summary format!!!

Thanks, hopefully, I can get some help with a little write-up. It would be nice to get some expert input about the course or conditions (like was it a bad day for R-comps or whether it would be considere a technical course or not, etc). Plus, I don't know half the people yet, but I am trying to learn who everyone is and what they drive so when I see them spin out or slam into a pole I know who to give credit to (of course if it is me - or my co-driver - that makes it a lot easier to figure out... ). I'd also like to have some way of recognizing break out performances (even if it is not near the top) or any other noteworthy thing about the event.

I want to know what Bob's idea is... does it involve fire or a pit of sharks? Maybe a pit of sharks on fire? I've got a wading pool you could borrow.

Andy Ucter

--
    01 Apr 2008 01:14 PM

turbohappy wrote:
    New format is good, very clear [:)]

Thanks for not quoting me... to give me extra points...

mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    01 Apr 2008 03:41 PM

[quote]Let me guess, the center of the course will be a GIant slanted 'H' with a circle around it? [;)]

How 'bout an 'X' with an oval around it and run it aussie style[6]

I have a car I can afford to "sacrifice".

balefire
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Apr 2008 11:11 PM

I like the new format too. Looks good.

The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Apr 2008 09:05 AM
    The weather is looking better and better... we may just have a nice day afterall. Current forecast says 62 with no precipitation expected.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 41234 > >>

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner