AspireTec Engineering  468
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 14 Apr 2008 01:16 PM by  duck_hunter_117
2008 Indy Solo #0 (April 6th: 16th Street - Fun Event)
 65 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>
Author Messages
The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
07 Apr 2008 03:48 PM
rboone wrote:

Jason,

I saw you a couple of times, but you seemed busy so i didn't want to bother you. I was still trying to get my bearings on everything that was going on. I'm very partial to the e46 coupe as I had a 2000 328ci. Your car is hot.

I'd love to see the tape sometime. If it was my 3rd run, my DSC kicked in 5 or 6 times. Then I tried to make up time and wiped out two cones. For my 4th run I turned the DSC off and then boy did I have a tiger by the tail. The car was faster, but I was not quite prepared and I about lost it twice.

All in all a great day. I can't remember when I have had more fun. You are more than welcome to ride along, but I think you will find the coupe is not as light as you think.

I might scare you to death. I'm learning, but I have a long way to go.

Randy

Oh, you are coming from a 3-series too. (I just got the M3 to replace my '01 325Ci a few months ago).

Yeah, I get a little freaked out before racing. I was nearly bouncing off the walls in the trailer just before my run group was about to start.

You turned DSC off - nice. [Y] I was going to as well (trying to learn), but Mrs. The Nebulizer was already on me about running over people. I feared if I did spin then I really would be forced into retirement. Next event (when Mrs. The Nebulizer is not there) I'll turn it off for sure. I really didn't feel DSC this time though (last week it was killing me in the rain by cutting out the gas on the straights, but it probably also kept me form spinning out on the slick surface). The non-Ms have 2 DSC settings. The first turns off the gas modulation and leaves on brake stability - I would like that on my M3, but I guess they assume we are good enough that we shouldn't need that...[:S]

Yeah, the M coupe is not really so light, is it? But, it has a smaller foot print which should make it slide through the cones a little better. Is yours SMG?

rboone

--
07 Apr 2008 04:36 PM

m coupe = 3230 #s

e46 m3 smg = 3415 #s

I guess it is 185 lbs lighter, but it is heavy for the ss class - I think. Not sure.

6MT

turbohappy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
07 Apr 2008 04:45 PM
The m coupe definitely felt like it had more power, but not much more nimble. Of course that was with DSC off on the run I rode in the m.
SopFu

--
07 Apr 2008 06:28 PM

I had a great time, too. Kudos to the course designer. It wasn't set up as a fundamentals course, but still rewarded those who looked ahead and set themselves up for several turns. I was just starting to understand what to do on my fourth run. I think lately the events I've been running have been set up as box, then slalom, then left, then slalom, the turn around, etc. I guess I like the courses set up around running through gates. I'm guessing national level courses follow that design more, too. Maybe it's not the best course I've ever run, but definitely the best in quite a while. Next time add more grip into the design and I'll be completely happy [:P]

47 SM2

kar120c

--
07 Apr 2008 09:04 PM
The Nebulizer wrote:

.....Course Diagram: (Phil, do you have a diagram?)

Here is the course. Sorry it's a bit messy, I had to erase some notes and sketch in the differnt finish with the chicago box. The actual course contained a LOT more pointer cones for visual puposes.

Phil4-6-08 Autocross designl

GChambers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
07 Apr 2008 09:32 PM

I had a great time yesterday. It's more fun when there are several guys there that can beat you. It definitely make one push just a bit harder.

Brian handed us our asses yesterday. I have excuses for this though.( You didn't expect that I would just quietly take this beating, did you? [:@] ) He was on better tires and had about 20 ride alongs during the first run group while Gus, Mike, Kevin, Chuck and I were running on the cooler surface. Gus and I also feel that we left time on the course. Still, I don't know if we could have beat him on raw times. He was awful fast. Looks like we are going to have to step up our game.

Big thanks to Will and Michael for taking the reins of the Solo program. Also, big thanks to Phil and Darren for doing what they do so well...

See you all at the next event... Maybe...

DRAG

--
07 Apr 2008 09:35 PM

I had a great time! 16th street is a great venue because of all the spectators...and the pavement is a tough one. It really seems like AWDs would succeed there, but it is definately a Miata friendly course.

I am debating sticking with STU. As long as there is good competition in that class and I am legal by mods, I will stick with it. I fear when Nick (Locked) gets a real set of tires on his car. He is a smoother driver than I am and I can't wait to see his times with some suspension mods and some tires under a 400 rating LOL!

Oh....and the new car is bad to the bone [D] (from a 1st impression anyway) I didn't really get the feel for anything until the last run where I was basically trying to scare my dad in the passenger seat. I hammered it through the 2 gates leading into the big sweeper and never took my foot off the floorboard all through the sweeper until I had to head into the 2nd slalom. We were both in the passenger seat! Then I completely screwed up by almost stopping in the garage, and it was still my best run. I need some pointers on really tight garages like that. My entry was pathetic. I slowed down enough that I had zero power coming out of it even in 1st gear...and this car has way more low end grunt and lower gearing than my old EVO. I just sucked. Overall, I think the 4000 pounder did ok. It needs some more horsey power for entertainment purposes only.

For anyone that has never been in a C6 Z06...I highly recommend taking a ride if you get the chance. It was one of the most composed vehicles I have been in EVER and the rumble makes it worth the $70K price tag no doubt!!! If that car ever showed up on a real set of tires, FTD would be a walk in the park.

DRAG

--
07 Apr 2008 09:50 PM

Also, the M Coupe is rad. That's about all I can call it. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. It had the same effect on me last year and I still get excited about every event.

One question....Do all of the events go towards your year end scoring or is it your best 6 or something like that? I have a race in New Jersey at the 1st points event and that sucks.

Eclipse2Lancer
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
07 Apr 2008 10:23 PM
DRAG wrote:

Also, the M Coupe is rad. That's about all I can call it. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. It had the same effect on me last year and I still get excited about every event.

One question....Do all of the events go towards your year end scoring or is it your best 6 or something like that? I have a race in New Jersey at the 1st points event and that sucks.

Best 6 points events, Luke. Allows you to miss 2 without penalty.

I wish I would have taken a ride in the X.....since I am a Mitsu type dude after all. I got to see you pull up to the line and take off like a rocket (I was running the computer).

My only personal tip for garages: treat them like tiny slaloms (depending on size and angle of attack). Sometimes they can be setup like a pin turn though. But the one at the fun event was like a tiny, tiny slalom. You only really pay attention to the 3 cones: entry, center, exit. Brake, turn in, transition, power out, straighten out. That's all I got. [:D]

kar120c

--
07 Apr 2008 10:40 PM
Don't worry that you couldn't get the box quickly - it was set up as a total speed killer before the finish (16th st doesn't lend itself to full blast finishes). The best line was to be to the far left of the last gate and going straight. Then you could approach it as a slalom. My Elise does not like to go into first when rolling, so I lugged out of the box in 2nd at low rpms. Talk about no power! I even went wide to the left after leaving the box to avoid turning the wheels and scrubbing off any acceleration!
The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
08 Apr 2008 01:24 AM

kar120c wrote:
Don't worry that you couldn't get the box quickly - it was set up as a total speed killer before the finish (16th st doesn't lend itself to full blast finishes). The best line was to be to the far left of the last gate and going straight. Then you could approach it as a slalom. My Elise does not like to go into first when rolling, so I lugged out of the box in 2nd at low rpms. Talk about no power! I even went wide to the left after leaving the box to avoid turning the wheels and scrubbing off any acceleration!

Yeah, that poor Elise has no power... [:P]

Aside from maybe Lee Miller's EM, that Elise was the best ride I have had. Lee's is a wild but amazingly fun ride, but the Elise was confident, smooth, and powerful - seemed like a perfect autocross car under your control. Phil, thanks for the ride along.

turbohappy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
08 Apr 2008 02:00 AM
GChambers wrote:

I had a great time yesterday. It's more fun when there are several guys there that can beat you. It definitely make one push just a bit harder.

Brian handed us our asses yesterday. I have excuses for this though.( You didn't expect that I would just quietly take this beating, did you? [:@] ) He was on better tires and had about 20 ride alongs during the first run group while Gus, Mike, Kevin, Chuck and I were running on the cooler surface. Gus and I also feel that we left time on the course. Still, I don't know if we could have beat him on raw times. He was awful fast. Looks like we are going to have to step up our game.

It was awesome to have so many fast guys there running X. Even cooler to finish on top [:P] I think given equal conditions I would have been kicking myself for not having either of my last 2 runs (both high 39s and 6-7 tenths faster than run #2) clean. BTW, I made sure to only ride with rookies...their speed was enough slower that the kink after the 2nd slalom still really surprised me my first run!

Basic Member
Basic Member

--
09 Apr 2008 10:43 AM

The Nebulizer wrote:

Luke (DRAG) and Nick (Locked) both had great runs in STU. Nick, do you have any previous experience? Or, are you just naturally great at it (isn't this like your 2nd event?). You guys are kicking my butt - moving to STU is going to be rough. I think at least Luke should leave and go to Xclass [:P]

I autox'd a supercharged integra several years ago. But you could have considered me the ricer kid of the group that just wanted to go fast without getting pulled over. I remember Lee yelling at me for doing a 1-2-3 pull with a friend in the car at Columbus. He said 1 more idiotic move like that and he would toss me permanently. The car was slammed as low as possible on blown shocks and 17" Enkie Shoguns! Like 30 lbs wheels. When I really try to count up how many times I went I remember 3 events. I thought I did it more than that, or that's what I let my friends believe.

This event was my 5th in the EVO. 2 late last year and all 3 this. Including the Rain and Snow days at Columbus.

Not to take anything away from Luke, but I think our cars make up for our inexperience. They may not be the best prepared out there, but they are powerful and forgiving. Big brakes and great handling stock. Yet, I don't believe I'm even close to the limit in it. I'm 3/4 throttle in places I should be full. I think I'm braking too early as well.

I really feel like a novice because all I do is react. I'm not ahead of the course and I don't dictate where I want to put the car. Even though Brian told me my lines were pretty good. I walked the course with Lee which was great, but while in the car any tips he provided went out of mind pretty fast. Brian rode with me and told me to look further ahead, harder said than done, and gave me pointers entering the sweeper and the box too. I didn't know I had the FTD driver in the car with me [:P]

I'm considering running the novice class. Any reason why I should or shouldn't?

Basic Member
Basic Member

--
09 Apr 2008 10:55 AM
DRAG wrote:

I am debating sticking with STU. As long as there is good competition in that class and I am legal by mods, I will stick with it. I fear when Nick (Locked) gets a real set of tires on his car. He is a smoother driver than I am and I can't wait to see his times with some suspension mods and some tires under a 400 rating LOL!

Just because they say Azenis on the side doesn't make them rt-615's [;)]. I've been saying tires aren't my problem, but watching an s2000 on slicks go under 40 sec's makes me believe better tires are needed.

I keep saying that springs and camber plates could come first, then ut oh these tires are gone gotta buy new in a few months. See my scheming to get modifications approved by the wife. :) So I guess the question is what first? Tires or suspension?

Another random question. Am I lifting a tire while driving out there?

Eclipse2Lancer
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
09 Apr 2008 11:26 AM
Locked wrote:

The Nebulizer wrote:

Luke (DRAG) and Nick (Locked) both had great runs in STU. Nick, do you have any previous experience? Or, are you just naturally great at it (isn't this like your 2nd event?). You guys are kicking my butt - moving to STU is going to be rough. I think at least Luke should leave and go to Xclass [:P]

I autox'd a supercharged integra several years ago. But you could have considered me the ricer kid of the group that just wanted to go fast without getting pulled over. I remember Lee yelling at me for doing a 1-2-3 pull with a friend in the car at Columbus. He said 1 more idiotic move like that and he would toss me permanently. The car was slammed as low as possible on blown shocks and 17" Enkie Shoguns! Like 30 lbs wheels. When I really try to count up how many times I went I remember 3 events. I thought I did it more than that, or that's what I let my friends believe.

This event was my 5th in the EVO. 2 late last year and all 3 this. Including the Rain and Snow days at Columbus.

Not to take anything away from Luke, but I think our cars make up for our inexperience. They may not be the best prepared out there, but they are powerful and forgiving. Big brakes and great handling stock. Yet, I don't believe I'm even close to the limit in it. I'm 3/4 throttle in places I should be full. I think I'm braking too early as well.

I really feel like a novice because all I do is react. I'm not ahead of the course and I don't dictate where I want to put the car. Even though Brian told me my lines were pretty good. I walked the course with Lee which was great, but while in the car any tips he provided went out of mind pretty fast. Brian rode with me and told me to look further ahead, harder said than done, and gave me pointers entering the sweeper and the box too. I didn't know I had the FTD driver in the car with me [:P]

I'm considering running the novice class. Any reason why I should or shouldn't?

Hey Nick (and everyone), check out the 2008 Indy Region Points Rules. The rules for Novice and X Class are in there too.

Technically, you are not eligible for the Novice class since you have done more than 2 events (Rule 5h).

turbohappy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
09 Apr 2008 12:04 PM

Locked wrote:
I keep saying that springs and camber plates could come first, then ut oh these tires are gone gotta buy new in a few months. See my scheming to get modifications approved by the wife. :) So I guess the question is what first? Tires or suspension?

After being maintained (all the important stuff working properly), the biggest factor to performance of the car is tires. Pales to the impact of the driver though. However, you are correct that suspension lasts "forever" and tires are temporary.

Get on an "allowance" plan like I am. Certain amount of $ per week to use for stuff that isn't bills. I bring my lunch to work every day so I can afford car mods [:)]

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
09 Apr 2008 12:28 PM
Eclipse2Lancer wrote:
Hey Nick (and everyone), check out the 2008 Indy Region Points Rules. The rules for Novice and X Class are in there too.

Technically, you are not eligible for the Novice class since you have done more than 2 events (Rule 5h).

Actually, it says you can't have 'competed in more than 2 events' - does that mean I can still be a novice? I am not sure you can call what I have done in my events as truly 'competing'... [:$]

Basic Member
Basic Member

--
09 Apr 2008 12:53 PM
Eclipse2Lancer wrote:

That's why I'm so good. 'Cause I'm not eligible for novice.

Bobzilla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
09 Apr 2008 01:46 PM

turbohappy wrote:
Get on an "allowance" plan like I am. Certain amount of $ per week to use for stuff that isn't bills. I bring my lunch to work every day so I can afford car mods [:)]

Ditto. Same plan here. Unfortunately my weekly allowance just barely covers entry fees. . . D'OH!!

turbohappy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
09 Apr 2008 04:39 PM
Bobzilla wrote:

Ditto. Same plan here. Unfortunately my weekly allowance just barely covers entry fees. . . D'OH!!

That's why I eat cheap all winter too to save up [:)] And have a co-driver.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner