G-LOC Brakes
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 11 Apr 2008 12:40 PM by  rboone
Has the BMW 135i been assigned to a class?
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
rboone

--
11 Apr 2008 08:31 AM
    Just wondering if the 135i has been assigned to a particular class?
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    11 Apr 2008 09:49 AM

rboone wrote:
    Just wondering if the 135i has been assigned to a particular class?

Oooh, BMW question....

No stock class yet. The 128, 135, 328, 335 are already elligible for BSP for some reason though. Many people are anxiously awaiting the 135's assignment with speculation anywhere from DS where it would probably do very well to BS where it would probably be outclassed by the RX-8 and 350Z, and even AS where it would be destroyed by S2000s. The 3 sereies had long been in the DS (and used to do pretty well), but the new 335 went to FS (a bit of a departure from the typical american muscle car). The main limitation of the 135 is it only has an electronic LSD (ie brake controlled) - though it is supposed to work pretty well, but it does have Brembo brakes which probably gives it the best brakes of any BMW - odd that the economy car would have these but the Ms only get single pot brakes. The 135 also suffers the Z4 M coupes fate of being heavier than you'd think. It is about the same weight (around 3200, I think) as an e46 3 series eventhough it is smaller (especially back seat). I really like the 135 (they had a Black on Red one at D&R that was really nice - see picture) and even considered purchasing one before I got my M3, but the M3 was much cheaper - the 135 decked out nicely hits just under $40k, which is not so economy. I really like the car (much more than the new 3 series which I think are a bit unattractive - althought the 1 series does suffer being a bit 'cute'.)

BTW I heard something that suggested the Z4 was finishing production and someone suggested the Z4 M coupe may be limited to a production of less than 2000. I suppose a new Z (Z5?) must be on its way.

Is the 1 series question just out of curiousity? You better nto be thinking of getting rid of that M coupe (unless you are going to sell it really cheap to me... ).

rboone

--
    11 Apr 2008 10:26 AM

Jason,

My son has bought one and it is due to arrive around the first week of May. He lives near Chicago, but will be coming down to check things out. Once he is sure he is not going to tear his car up he will get involved for sure.

We have driven 2 135s and they are fast, significantly faster than the330s, but it is a different fast (bi-turbo vs NA). You are right they are heavy, but they have a lot of low end torque and they appear to be more nimble than his 07 e92. Of course we couldn't drive them like we wanted so we have limited knowledge about how they perform. I called SCCA National and they said for now it is D Stock, but the final determination will be in the next publication.

As for the M, I just have to learn how to drive it so I can at least be competitive with the Yaris. If the weather is good, I am planning to go to Columbus this weekend to get some instruction. I'm heading out now to buy several rolls of blue painters tape.

rRandy

rboone

--
    11 Apr 2008 10:31 AM

Jason,

My understanding is the end of production is for the plant in South Carolina. There are several spy shots around that appear similar to the current body style. Not heard if it is different model #. Maybe 09, probably 010.

Randy

rboone

--
    11 Apr 2008 10:32 AM
    sorry next weekend
    turbohappy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11 Apr 2008 11:18 AM
    The Nebulizer wrote:

it does have Brembo brakes which probably gives it the best brakes of any BMW - odd that the economy car would have these but the Ms only get single pot brakes.

Take comfort that the Brembos are just "tuner bling" for what we do anyway [:)]

rboone

--
    11 Apr 2008 12:40 PM
    Actually the brakes on the M are the same brakes that are on the m3 csl. We both thought they were a little better than that on the 135i. Maybe they need to go thru a break-in period?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner