41 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>
Author Messages
DRAG

--
16 Apr 2008 12:42 AM
    I know this is the Indy Region forum, but we are all here and there isn't a Columbus forum. Anyone plan on going. That is my personal favorite venue and I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't run it. Last time I was there the course was huge and traction was really good.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Apr 2008 09:29 AM
    I'll be there both days. Unless britt decides to have a baby.
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    16 Apr 2008 09:33 AM

DRAG wrote:
    I know this is the Indy Region forum, but we are all here and there isn't a Columbus forum. Anyone plan on going. That is my personal favorite venue and I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't run it. Last time I was there the course was huge and traction was really good.

I am probably going to either go to the Saturday school at Columbus or the Test & Tune up in Peru (probably Sunday since better weather likely). I've done the school in Columbus twice and it has helped me improve. But, I think I am leaning more toward burning up my Contis with unlimited runs up in Peru.

DRAG

--
    16 Apr 2008 10:32 AM
    I have some friends trying to get me to run the Peru thing. I want to go, but I don't want to burn through $1200 in tires [D] I also like Walesboro better.
    rboone

--
    16 Apr 2008 11:54 AM

I am planning on going to Columbus Saturday and Sunday. I have only been in one event (last weeks fun run) and I need to learn just about everything. Is the driver's school worthwhile and if it is, what 2 or 3 things should I focus on? Would the driver's school still be worth it if it is raining?

I'm so wound up about autocrossing, I can't wait to run - somewhere - anywhere.

Thx, Randy

turbohappy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    16 Apr 2008 12:06 PM
    rboone wrote:

I am planning on going to Columbus Saturday and Sunday. I have only been in one event (last weeks fun run) and I need to learn just about everything. Is the driver's school worthwhile and if it is, what 2 or 3 things should I focus on? Would the driver's school still be worth it if it is raining?

I'm so wound up about autocrossing, I can't wait to run - somewhere - anywhere.

Thx, Randy

Yep, go to the school. Probably even better if it's raining [:)]

rboone

--
    16 Apr 2008 12:08 PM

Drag,

The fun run was a blur, but now that it is behind me, I'm gonna be stalking your dad for some help and info. I didn't want to bother him last week, but now he is going to have to run me off. All I need is for him to help me with the 5 or 6 seconds that he is faster than me. Since we were in the same heat it was hard to see all of his runs, but he was so smooth and under control. I am going to beg him for a ride and hope he will ride with me and give me some pointers. You might want to warn him.

Randy

brgmcs

--
    16 Apr 2008 12:26 PM

Randy,

Like the others, I highly recommend the school. Rain is even better, as there is more to learn due to slightly lower grip levels plus other folks will wimp out and that means more runs for you and more attention from the instructors.

I'd suggest doing a combination of asking an instructor to ride along and getting one or more of them to actually drive your car while you ride in it. It can be very enlighening to see where your car can go faster than you think it can.

There will be a number of instructors who can help you loose a bunch of seconds from your future runs. [:)]

Bring a lunch and drinks with you, along with a towel or two (maybe one for your passenger seat if it does rain and the instructors are wet) and an umbrella and/or rain suit. Plus sun screen, because this is Indiana and you never know what the weather is going to do.[;)]

Hope to see you there.

The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    16 Apr 2008 12:49 PM
    rboone wrote:

Drag,

The fun run was a blur, but now that it is behind me, I'm gonna be stalking your dad for some help and info. I didn't want to bother him last week, but now he is going to have to run me off. All I need is for him to help me with the 5 or 6 seconds that he is faster than me. Since we were in the same heat it was hard to see all of his runs, but he was so smooth and under control. I am going to beg him for a ride and hope he will ride with me and give me some pointers. You might want to warn him.

Randy

Randy,

At the school you will have a seasoned driver ride along with you on several runs and give you tips on your driving. They will give a nice walkthrough and teach you some of the things to look for on the course - like increasing or decreasing slaloms (count steps between), offcamber turns, dirty track sections, and of course how to take your lines - like try to concentrate on exit speed before any long straight aways, etc. You can also have them drive your car to show you what it can do and what it should look like in a skilled drivers hands (I know for me - I think I am pushing it, but until I see how much that S54 engine can be pushed, I don't realize that I am not pushing the car enough). You will get a chance to run through mroe than the standard 4-5 times. And after all of this, if you go to the event, it should be the same course, so you get some practice on the actual course.

I thought I saw you today in Fishers - I asked the guy if he was you, but apparently there is another black Z4 M coupe in town now. (He said he does race it though - he was at Putnum last week - that was all I got at the traffic light... )

So, is anyone going to Peru? I see I have missed internet registration (I knew it ended on the 16th, but I didn't expect it to end at 1am... ) - I suspect they will still take more as they are only about halfway filled up (30 out of 50 max).

The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    16 Apr 2008 12:55 PM
    brgmcs wrote:

Bring a lunch and drinks with you, along with a towel or two (maybe one for your passenger seat if it does rain and the instructors are wet) and an umbrella and/or rain suit. Plus sun screen, because this is Indiana and you never know what the weather is going to do.[;)]

Yeah, lots of towels... you never know when you may need to wipe something off.... [:S] (hint: the dark sealed part of the course is slick)

Actually the weather forecast keeps getting better. Sunday now looks like it could be a great day and Saturday is only minor rain with mild temps.

rboone

--
    16 Apr 2008 02:36 PM

Jason,

I am in, but I may need some pointers on how to stay out of the muddy cornfield. I wish I was in Fishers today, that would mean I was not at work.

I think I talked with the other M guy on another forum, but I thought his M was blue.

Good Luck at Peru.

Randy

The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    16 Apr 2008 06:06 PM
    rboone wrote:

Jason,

I am in, but I may need some pointers on how to stay out of the muddy cornfield. I wish I was in Fishers today, that would mean I was not at work.

I think I talked with the other M guy on another forum, but I thought his M was blue.

Good Luck at Peru.

Randy

I can give you pointers on how to get into the cornfield... the black sealed area is the tricky spot. Both of the BMWs I raced in went off there in the rain - but each time with DSC off. If it is wet, I would leave DSC on. That S54 engine can be a handful with poor traction and no DSC - even my experienced co-driver slipped off. With DSC on though, you can beat on it pretty hard and it will keep you on the course. A few weeks ago in the cold rain, I had no issues of lost control while pushing it pretty hard (DSC on). So, that would be my advice if the track is pretty slick - leave DSC on and you should be fine. It will slow you down a bit, but will let you concentrate on the other things.

If anyone else is looking into Peru's Test & Tune, I spoke with the organizer and the registration is not closed - myautoevent has a mistake that is temporarily blocking registration (it should be fixed soon - or you can simply register at the event as it will not likely fill up).

SopFu

--
    16 Apr 2008 06:15 PM
    I was thinking of going up to Peru for both days, but then I looked at the price. Add in a tank of gas, and $20 for a hotel... Way too much for chasing cones. If I had a car that was "tunable" on spot I would definitely consider it. I think I'm going to go to Sparta or Louisville instead. Gotta love being in a state with 4 autocrosses within just a few hours of each other!
    RonConrad
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    16 Apr 2008 10:42 PM

I'll be there Saturday as one of the instructors, and Sunday for the Solo. Looks like Sunday may be dry. Saturday's forecast is for cool rain.

There is a Solo School the following Saturday in Fort Wayne (details at MyAutoEvents.com)

btwelch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Apr 2008 11:37 PM
    I think I'll be getting new brake pads installed on saturday so I wont be at the school, but I'm definately leaning towards being there on sunday.
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    16 Apr 2008 11:44 PM

btwelch wrote:
    I think I'll be getting new brake pads installed on saturday so I wont be at the school, but I'm definately leaning towards being there on sunday.

That shouldn't take all day [:P] (well, unless you have some stuck rotors - I have spent all day on that before... then given up and gone to a shop... )

So, between Indy, Ft. Wayne, Columbus, and Peru - that makes 7 events in 9 days. If only I could skip out of family duties to make more than just 2...

Andy Ucter

--
    17 Apr 2008 07:31 AM
    The Nebulizer wrote:

So, between... Ft. Wayne, ...

so are you going up to one of their events??

Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Apr 2008 12:19 PM

The Nebulizer wrote:
    I can give you pointers on how to get into the cornfield...

I could provide training guidance on this particualar skill as well. I'm in the cornfield club! Too bad AWD doesn't help much on ice.

DRAG

--
    17 Apr 2008 02:43 PM
    rboone wrote:

Drag,

Randy

Man I almost fell out of my chair reading that. Actually he gets a lot out of that little car and he is certainly fun to ride with. And I can't pick on him too bad...I co-drove his car at one event and he placed 1st in some pretty tough competition (SRT-6, XLR-V, STI, and me in his Z4) He beat up on me pretty bad all day, then I got within a few hundredths of a second on my last run. Close, but close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades! Don't be shy in talking to him, because he isn't shy at all... ha ha. He would be more than happy to give you a ride and I know he would LOVE to ride in your car. He won't be there this weekend....he is in DC then headed out of the country.

I decided against Peru for a couple reasons....#1 being that it is just open runs and half the fun to me is competing. #2 because Walesboro is more fun that Grissom :D and #3 because of the cost. Now I have to get some chores done around the house so I can go on Sunday!!!!

turbohappy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Apr 2008 03:06 PM
    The Nebulizer wrote:

btwelch wrote:

That shouldn't take all day [:P] (well, unless you have some stuck rotors - I have spent all day on that before... then given up and gone to a shop... )

So, between Indy, Ft. Wayne, Columbus, and Peru - that makes 7 events in 9 days. If only I could skip out of family duties to make more than just 2...

I'm pretty sure Central Illinois and South Bend both have events this weekend as well.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 3123 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner