G-LOC Brakes
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 06 May 2008 04:03 PM by  Locked
2008: Indy Solo #1 (April 27th: 16th St. - 'Spring Into Solo')
 50 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>
Author Messages
The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
21 Apr 2008 03:23 PM

INDY EVENT #1: 'Spring Into Solo' at 16th Street, April 27th

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Pre-Race Information ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Post-Race Information :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

• Summary: The 1st event of the season had a few hiccups to start, but once underway ran pretty smoothly. The course proved more challenging than many thought on walkthrough, but Phil Wehman's inspired design was well received. The course allowed higher speeds with subtly tricky technical elements with a focus of on-camber turns (rather than the typical 16th St. off-camber design). Mark Lamm had the FTD by a landslide in his CM Formula Ford, but Geoff Chambers once again took the traveling PAX prize (which he didn't even bother to bring... confidence or absent-mindedness? - probably the fumes from his poorly exhausted car...). Everyone was dying for another run, but the tough call had to be made to limit the record crowd of 124 racers to 3 runs or we would have gone over our permitted time.[:'(] Everything on the course went well - no rolled cars or course workers smooshed into poles - and the weather was great. Sean Murphy came out of his shell and made a political statement by letting his overpriced fuel spill all over the course. But, the most shocking moment of the race came when we saw Dave Dusterburg come out of the closet... driving a Miata![:O] No one saw that coming.
    • Conditions: Dry, cool, dirty asphalt with some shallow potholes. Low 60's, partly cloudy.
    • Course Diagram: ....
    • Results: Results page at IndySCCA.org
    • Photos/Video: Luke Wilson's YouTube Video
    • FTD 1st: Mark Lamm 2nd: Raleigh Boreen 3rd: Geoffrey Chambers
    • PAX 1st: Geoffrey Chambers 2nd: Brian Davis 3rd: Gustavo Hammerly
    • Novice 1st: Scott Herzog 2nd: Jay Warfel 3rd: Brent Kalman
    • Improvement* 1st: Sean Murphy 2nd: Chris Snyder 3rd: Lee Miller

* Improvement lists racers with the biggest improvement from their season average (based on Tovey Cup scoring). Indy Fun Run was used to get this first value.

Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    21 Apr 2008 10:54 PM
    Technically, there is no more "II" after Solo any more. Don't let Velma see that you have done that! [;)]
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    21 Apr 2008 11:59 PM

Eclipse2Lancer wrote:
    Technically, there is no more "II" after Solo any more. Don't let Velma see that you have done that! [;)]

Really? It pained me to put that, but I thought it was technically the proper name. I'll gladly dump it as it seems stupid - what the heck was Solo1 anyway?

turbohappy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    22 Apr 2008 02:41 AM
    The Nebulizer wrote:

Eclipse2Lancer wrote:

Really? It pained me to put that, but I thought it was technically the proper name. I'll gladly dump it as it seems stupid - what the heck was Solo1 anyway?

Higher speed stuff. Think hillclimbs, etc.

DRAG

--
    24 Apr 2008 11:38 AM

Does Solo1 not exist anymore or what?

turbohappy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Apr 2008 01:39 PM
    DRAG wrote:

Does Solo1 not exist anymore or what?

Nope. Although PDX/Time Trials is sort of a spiritual successor.

turbohappy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Apr 2008 10:45 AM
    Results are up, close but no cigar for me [:)] Kudos to Will for getting them up so fast!
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Apr 2008 04:55 PM

turbohappy wrote:
    Results are up, close but no cigar for me [:)] Kudos to Will for getting them up so fast!

I blew my chance for glory too. (well, my own kind of glory anyway... )

1st = DNF: 2nd = ran in 3rd gear[:S]: 3rd = nice run (46.2), but back end slipped out and tapped a cone (almost my best even with a cone)

Overall, I felt really good though. I loved the course - Phil Wehman designed another great path on a tight layout - very enjoyable course. I hope we see this one again. New yoko neovas and traction control off felt great too. I got a little loose, but still controlled - and all the power I needed on accel! M3 (and driver?) is finally shaping up nicely......by really extending the after the race speculations.... if I were running in STU (should be legal as is next year) and if my 3rd run I had avoided that cone that jumped out at me, I would have PAX'd 18th. In reality, no trophy this event, but I think I might get one before the season ends...

Anyone else got some could've/should've's ? How did you do? Anything the numbers don't show?

DRAG

--
    btwelch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Apr 2008 07:10 PM
    The Nebulizer wrote:

Anyone else got some could've/should've's ? How did you do? Anything the numbers don't show?

If I woulda had an "explicitive-free" and/or 4th run, I think my car could have squeezed out a run in the 47's. I got my trophy though and a lot of people had to go home with the shame of knowing they got beat by a CADDY so I'm happy!

DRAG

--
    28 Apr 2008 11:26 PM
    That Caddy is scootin!!! I'd like to see what you could do with the new wider stance and more powerful 6. I think the V would be a handful like the other real high power cars out there.
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Apr 2008 11:53 PM

Nice video, Luke. I like how you picked video of you running clean, but Nick smacking a cone [:P]

I have some nice in car video (er, above car video, very good angle BTW), but my computer is too slow to handle it. I will try and use the work computer and post it somewhere.

Bryan, you are definitely learning to deal with that Caddy's body roll and no LSD nicely. Nice times for a 99% stock CTS. Congrats on your first Indy trophy! [<:o)]

btwelch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    29 Apr 2008 12:13 AM

DRAG wrote:
    That Caddy is scootin!!! I'd like to see what you could do with the new wider stance and more powerful 6. I think the V would be a handful like the other real high power cars out there.

Shhh! Dont tell my dealership but if my car just happens to have to be in the shop over a race weekend at some point this season, maybe I'll bring a loaner out to see what it can do (I usually get a brand-spanking-new CTS).

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Apr 2008 06:22 AM

Tried to get Jim to run the TSX loaner he had. . .just wouldn't do it.

One more run. . . I ran a 47.2 on my last and had SEVERAL MAJOR f-ups. I know the car had a 46 in it. It just needed a driver to do it. I think CJ would have had one . .. had it not been for someone moving the box closer in between runs. . .

Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Apr 2008 10:10 AM
    The Nebulizer wrote:

Our data confirms what I initially thought.....I left about .5 to .6 out there (with my current capabilities, the car is still more capable than I....but I am creeping closer to Brian). Ideal run would have been 44.4xx for me. Car was capable of low 43, mid 42.....Brian got real close. Seems I still need to explore the limits of the car's grip a bit more.

Still.....I'll take 6th on PAX and 13th Raw time considering the amount of experience I have in the car. [8-|]

turbohappy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Apr 2008 10:29 AM
    Eclipse2Lancer wrote:

Car was capable of low 43, mid 42.....Brian got real close.

Our Captain Planet run was a 43.1. Although you're right, if I had Jason Frank drive it he probably would have been mid 42s [;)]

DRAG

--
    29 Apr 2008 11:39 AM
    The Nebulizer wrote:

Nice video, Luke. I like how you picked video of you running clean, but Nick smacking a cone [:P]

Ha ha. I am posting it as much as possible so that people can see him smack that cone! Just kidding. I didn't make the video.

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Apr 2008 12:58 PM
    Any idear on when pics will be up?
    turbohappy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Apr 2008 02:59 PM

Bobzilla wrote:
    Any idear on when pics will be up?

Was there anyone taking pics? I didn't see Dick out there, doesn't mean he wasn't.

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Apr 2008 03:03 PM

I saw Mr Sombrero there.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 3123 > >>

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner