You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 3 << < 123
Author Messages
Bobzilla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
29 Apr 2008 09:28 AM
Rome wasn't built in a day. I think a lot of us forget that things take time. We have a strong core, caring people and a lot of support. We'll be the best region in the country before it's over.
dbrier
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Apr 2008 11:05 AM

Sorry I wasn't there, I could have helped in the trailer. Stomach flu sucks.

Having worked registration a lot, I know that uninformed people at the window can really slow things down. A pre-registration table and/or line checker can help. You could have someone walk down the registration line every 10-15 minutes and make sure that everyone has all their paperwork in order and car classed. It is very annoying to get someone at the registration window with a blank card and has no idea what class he/she should be in. We need better instructions on site.

As much as I like extra money, let's see how pre-registration pans out in the next few events. Two events with a completely new system is not enough to start penalizing people who don't pre-register. If we stay below 50% by event 5 or 6, then we can look at the issue again. Hopefully folks will start seeing the advantage of registering online on their own without us forcing them to do it. I DON'T like the idea of preregister only. Some people don't like or don't have a computer. I would hate to kick someone out of autocross because they don't have a home Internet connection.

100 car limit. That topic is double edge sword and will probably be a "spirited" discussion at the next meeting to say the least. 16th St. is beginning to hit the line between profit and fun. 125 cars are great for business, but if the racers are on site for 9+ hours and only get three runs, we are in danger of losing people forever.

I like the idea of closing registration at 9:00 am. If you are not in line at 9 am sharp, you don't race. As a bonus, we could let pre-registered, annual teched folks come as late as 9:15 since there is nearly no work for them.

I know it makes me sound like a traitor, but Columbus is starting too look good. For an extra hour of driving, you get nearly twice the seat time of 16th St. and still get back home by 3:30 or 4. If I'm thinking it, I'm sure there are many others. I'm sure Grissom, Terre Haute and Walesboro won't have the overcrowding problems we have at Indy. The convenience factor of 16th St is what leads to near overwhelming numbers. Ask folks to drive outside the county and our attendance drops 30-50%.

jww
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Apr 2008 12:01 PM
dbrier wrote:

Sorry I wasn't there, I could have helped in the trailer. Stomach flu sucks.

Having worked registration a lot, I know that uninformed people at the window can really slow things down. A pre-registration table and/or line checker can help. You could have someone walk down the registration line every 10-15 minutes and make sure that everyone has all their paperwork in order and car classed. It is very annoying to get someone at the registration window with a blank card and has no idea what class he/she should be in. We need better instructions on site.

Hope ya feel better now! ..not a problem that you couldn't make it. When yer sick yer sick!

I learned quite a bit. ...did not think to walk the line though I thought of it later that evening. Not that I knew all the questions, but insuring the cards were filled AND LEGIBLE would have been a huge bonus. I can't tell you how many times we were all attempting to read some sort of nonsense that was supposed to be a name etc. ..so yeah, along the lines of what I was thinking, having another well marked line to get your card might help stop the swarm to the table and issues arriving at the window. Velma and Brian basically got overran and folks that "thought they knew" what they were doing wound up at the bus. ..that same table or window at the bus might also be a good place for questions. I started getting a bit agitated (I was nice.. I promise!) that folks coming back to reclassify themselves as their buddy was running here or told them to run there.. oh well.. you can't smack em.. I like to know them a bit better before I start doing that... like Steve for example.. :)

I wonder if we made the course a bit shorter if that would save some time for extra runs.. seems to me we used to have shorter times on some of the courses a few years ago. I doubt it is the answer, but it might shave a bit of time off a full run group. ...just a thought.

Oh well... I will see you at the meeting Thursday.. :)

DRAG

--
29 Apr 2008 12:59 PM

You mean you expect people to write in a manner that would allow you to actually read it? [I]

I think the course was perfect and I'm completely at a loss as to why people were running 60 and 70 seconds around that thing. It had a very natural flow with little confusion.

jww
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Apr 2008 02:02 PM
DRAG wrote:

You mean you expect people to write in a manner that would allow you to actually read it? [I]

I think the course was perfect and I'm completely at a loss as to why people were running 60 and 70 seconds around that thing. It had a very natural flow with little confusion.

LOL !! ..I think some were scrawled while using a buddies back for a writing surface. ...so yeah.. I guess I was a bit optimistic. :)

Funny you should mention the times... I have a pic of someone from last year that stopped at the corner station to ask directions. :) ...I'll have to find that sometime and post a link.

In case anyone is curious, this year I am attempting to compete more and help the new solo geeks as much as possible. So my thoughts right now for Solo is to just take pics at the National Tour (in case anyone was curious) and possibly another event if I get too lazy to prep my car or sleep through my alarm. ;)

DRAG

--
29 Apr 2008 02:16 PM

From where I was standing it looked like people stopped at station 4 on numerous occasions to ask for directions...ha ha

balefire
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Apr 2008 10:49 PM

Eclipse2Lancer wrote:
Guess I can weigh in since I am one of the people responsible for the program. Wanted to wait until a lot of responses were posted and digest what everyone was saying as well as discuss a bit with Mike/Phil/Steve. This was our 2nd event as program chairs (Mike and I).....we are still learning.

Will, just wanted to say thanks for a good event and I appreciate your hard work...

Someone should remember to revive this thread for the next 16th St autox ... in October ...

I don't think we'll have any of these issues at Grissom (or Terra Haute, or Walesboro). Which is really quite sad, since many top level autox guys consider Peru to be the premier concrete site of the midwest. I bet we'll have trouble getting 100 entrants the rest of the year unless the October 16th event has really nice weather...

Hoping to see you guys at Peru if the boss allows.

thedrumm
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
30 Apr 2008 03:25 AM
dbrier wrote:

Having worked registration a lot, I know that uninformed people at the window can really slow things down.....

As much as I like extra money, let's see how pre-registration pans out in the next few events. Two events with a completely new system is not enough to start penalizing people who don't pre-register.....

100 car limit...

I like the idea of closing registration at 9:00 am. If you are not in line at 9 am sharp, you don't race. As a bonus, we could let pre-registered, annual teched folks come as late as 9:15 since there is nearly no work for them.

I know it makes me sound like a traitor, but Columbus is starting too look good.....

I am also a person who cannot attend the Solo meetings as I work nights. For my 2 cents...

I know it is hard enough to get people to work now, but finding a way for people to have their paperwork ready would help a ton.

I have a computer, and I don't favor penalizing people for not pre-registering. There are a number of people who don't know until late if they can make it or not, including me. And I have been involved for 8 years.

If we can't get started on time with 125 cars, then we need to cut down the number of entries at 16th. Three runs when you're there 9-10 hours is no fun. I almost didn't come, because I knew this was going to happen, and I probably won't be back to 16th next April, because this is how it goes with 125 cars there. We always have 100+ cars at the April 16th event, and with no limit, it will always be 3 runs & 10 hours. The Solo chairs & set up/breakdown folks are there 12?-13? hours.

I have enjoyed Columbus for years because you get more runs. The trade off is the pavement. Terre Haute & Peru are so far away that I will only make 1 of those all year. I realize the problem is that we don't have sites here in Indy, so we are lucky to get anything even if it is an hour or more away.

Somebody needs to win the lottery & buy us some property here in Indy.

jww
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
30 Apr 2008 05:52 AM

thedrumm wrote:

I've been working on that, but for some reason powerball nor the state are cooperating... [:(]

Bobzilla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
30 Apr 2008 08:33 AM
jww wrote:

thedrumm wrote:

I've been working on that, but for some reason powerball nor the state are cooperating... [:(]

Ditto. I already have the spot located. . . just waiting on the winning ticket. I guess that means I need to buy one?

turbohappy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
30 Apr 2008 09:11 AM
thedrumm wrote:

I have enjoyed Columbus for years because you get more runs. The trade off is the pavement. Terre Haute & Peru are so far away that I will only make 1 of those all year. I realize the problem is that we don't have sites here in Indy, so we are lucky to get anything even if it is an hour or more away.

They really aren't any further than Columbus...unless you live on the south side I guess.

dbrier
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
30 Apr 2008 03:55 PM
thedrumm wrote:
II have a computer, and I don't favor penalizing people for not pre-registering. There are a number of people who don't know until late if they can make it or not, including me. And I have been involved for 8 years.
One good thing about our current pre-registration system is there is no penalty for pre-registering and not showing. When registration is closed, about 3 mouse clicks and 30 seconds is all it takes to flush out the no-shows.
thedrumm
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
30 Apr 2008 11:35 PM

dbrier wrote:
One good thing about our current pre-registration system is there is no penalty for pre-registering and not showing. When registration is closed, about 3 mouse clicks and 30 seconds is all it takes to flush out the no-shows.

I pre-registered for the fun event, but could not come at the last minute & didn't know how that may have messed you up. So should I pre-register for each event just incase I might make it?

turbohappy wrote:
They really aren't any further than Columbus...unless you live on the south side I guess

I live on the Marion - Johnson County line so Columbus isn't very far. Peru is light years from my house. Hey, atleast some folks will be able to run, better than noone.

Bobzilla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
01 May 2008 08:27 AM
thedrumm wrote:

I live on the Marion - Johnson County line so Columbus isn't very far. Peru is light years from my house. Hey, atleast some folks will be able to run, better than noone.

I'm just the opposite. Exit 133 off 65N so Peru is not that much of a drive for us. . . but columbus is a 3 hour tour. . . .a 3 hour tour.

DRAG

--
01 May 2008 11:08 AM
thedrumm wrote:

I have enjoyed Columbus for years because you get more runs. The trade off is the pavement.

There is a TON of grip at Columbus and it is easier on tire. I know it makes them look ugly, but it takes less rubber off. There is even grip in the rain because of the raised asphalt texture.

balefire
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
01 May 2008 02:07 PM
DRAG wrote:
thedrumm wrote:

I have enjoyed Columbus for years because you get more runs. The trade off is the pavement.

There is a TON of grip at Columbus and it is easier on tire. I know it makes them look ugly, but it takes less rubber off. There is even grip in the rain because of the raised asphalt texture.

Agree with the former.

Disagree with the latter. Have you driven on a nice asphalt surface (e.g. Joliet or Milwaukee) or concrete yet?

brgmcs

--
01 May 2008 06:54 PM
Running the same tires at both sites, several of us lost measureably less rubber at Walesboro for 6 long runs than we did in 5 shorter runs at Mt. Comfort and I'm not particularly easy on tires at any site in my car. I would expect a nice aspalt surface to be much easier on tires than either concrete or the rough asphalt at Walesboro. 16th St is pretty easy on tires, but it is also the lowest grip surface that is regularly used around here. Converse had more grip. Lafayette Square was similar to 16th St, and the Anderson gravel pit was the lowest grip I've run on in central Indiana.
schmuk

--
02 May 2008 04:15 PM

curious question - I don't have anything in mind right now, but if I were driving around and found some big parking lot, what if any are the requirements or regulations (or what to look for) in a space?

Interesting on the wear you guys had on tires between walesboro and mt comfort. I experienced the exact opposite (part of it was definately me) - I really had big tire wear in walesboro and very little at mt comfort. But I don't want to start an off topic discussion.

What to look for in a location?

kar120c

--
02 May 2008 04:30 PM
schmuk wrote:

What to look for in a location?

7-8 acres MINIMUM for course and grid. Room for Paddock. Surface not broken up. Securable. Not a lot of holes or things to hit. Ample room between light poles. Not used on weekends. If you see something, contact the solo chairs so they can officially contact the place with all the right information on safety, insurance, etc.

Phil

brgmcs

--
02 May 2008 05:24 PM
schmuk wrote:

Interesting on the wear you guys had on tires between walesboro and mt comfort. I experienced the exact opposite (part of it was definately me) - I really had big tire wear in walesboro and very little at mt comfort.

I think the key is measureable. My tires looked beautiful after each of the Mt. Comfort events. But if you checked the tread depth there was a lot less there. Concrete grinds the rubber away very evently across the surface, but actually removes quite a bit of it. The rougher surface at Walesboro nibbles away at the edge of the tread blocks and makes them look much worse, but actually removes less material. Nearly grooveless R compounds held up very well at Walesboro.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 3 << < 123

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner