AspireTec Engineering  468
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 06 May 2008 08:54 PM by  Eclipse2Lancer
June 8th Solo Event #3 News.....READ THIS - NEW SITE!
 20 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Eclipse2Lancer
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
01 May 2008 11:56 PM

We have a contract signed to have an event at Terre Haute Airport! The area is about 400x1300 feet. If you look at an aerial view, we will be using the West Ramp of the tarmac. Nice flat smooth concrete. Think Grissom type grip, only flatter.

More details to come.......

jww
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 May 2008 06:56 AM
    Eclipse2Lancer wrote:

We have a contract signed to have an event at Terre Haute Airport! The area is about 400x1300 feet. If you look at an aerial view, we will be using the West Ramp of the tarmac. Nice flat smooth concrete. Think Grissom type grip, only flatter.

jww
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 May 2008 06:56 AM
    Eclipse2Lancer wrote:

...gheesh. Note to self. Don't hit enter on this forum too early!!!

Anyway.. yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Congrats Will !! [Y]
    Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 May 2008 11:30 AM

Long list of people helped out on this one.....not just me.

Darren Daubenspeck, Raleigh Boreen, Bill Foraker (Rose Hulman / our airport insider). It was a team effort.

jww
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 May 2008 11:54 AM
    Eclipse2Lancer wrote:

Long list of people helped out on this one.....not just me.

Darren Daubenspeck, Raleigh Boreen, Bill Foraker (Rose Hulman / our airport insider). It was a team effort.

Ooops.. I meant Yea Team!! [:D]

DRAG

--
    02 May 2008 01:13 PM
    400 x 1300.....how big is that compared to say....Mt. Comfort.
    Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 May 2008 01:58 PM

DRAG wrote:

Made a quick comparo side by side for ya (best I could do at work). It is a bit bigger than Mt. Comfort, and not as abrasive. The red outline is what we will use for course and grid. The blue is paddock. We will use that access road to the gate (double red line) to gain access.

I'll post my better map tonight or sometime this weekend so we can all get oriented.

SCCAForums Image

Mt. Comfort is more like 400 x 800ish.

kar120c

--
    02 May 2008 02:21 PM

DRAG wrote:

Mt. Comfort is 400 x 800, but you have to take out some sq ft for the grass between the tarmac and taxiway, and the shed that sits on the west side. This is SIGNIFICANTLY bigger in terms of course design space.

Phil

btwelch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 May 2008 10:08 PM
    kar120c wrote:

...This is SIGNIFICANTLY bigger in terms of course design space...

Does that mean the course will be 2 minutes long and we'll get to reach speeds of 80mph?!!! [:D]

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 May 2008 10:22 PM
    Great work people! The site looks to be very promising! Can't wait to run there!
    Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 May 2008 10:24 PM
    btwelch wrote:
    kar120c wrote:

...This is SIGNIFICANTLY bigger in terms of course design space...

Does that mean the course will be 2 minutes long and we'll get to reach speeds of 80mph?!!! [:D]

Um.....not quite. [:P]

Here is the formal map. Seems that the length is closer to 1130 feet.....even though, still quite large.

SCCAForums Image
    btwelch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 May 2008 08:35 AM

Eclipse2Lancer wrote:

This makes Baby Jesus cry. [:'(]

jww
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 May 2008 09:43 AM
    btwelch wrote:

Eclipse2Lancer wrote:

This makes Baby Jesus cry. [:'(]

..there there wipe them there tears. ..just part o' the rules. [au]

Courses must be tight enough so that cars run the entire course in their lower gears. Speeds on straight stretches should not normally exceed the low 60’s (mph) for the fastest Stock and Street Prepared category cars. The fastest portions of the course shall be those most remote from spectators and property. Turns should not normally allow speeds in excess of 45 mph in unprepared, cars.

If you wanna go really fast go to a road course. Quite a few car clubs run over at Putnam and are in need extra cars for their DE events and track days. ..and it is a really fun track for being so close.

DRAG

--
    06 May 2008 12:14 PM
    To me....there is more fun and intense driving at 20-60mph in a solo event than there is on a road course. I'm not experienced enough on a road course to say much about it as I've only had some slow beginner laps at Putnam, but there is definately more driver input in Solo.
    jww
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 May 2008 01:34 PM

DRAG wrote:
    To me....there is more fun and intense driving at 20-60mph in a solo event than there is on a road course. I'm not experienced enough on a road course to say much about it as I've only had some slow beginner laps at Putnam, but there is definately more driver input in Solo.

Yup.. I would say that 30 - 40 secs on one run in an autoX, depending on the course, is for me much harder and requires more precision as well. .. I was conveying that if someone is interested at really high speeds, being able to lay on the brakes a ton, and experiencing sustained g's ...a road course is the place to be. ( and never do it on public roads... not very smart to involve innocent, less experienced drivers in your mayhem )

...I would be quoting someone, but usually a really good autoXer makes a great road racer and not always the other way around.

So yeah.. even though the speeds are faster.. the time between turns is usually much greater.

The funniest comment I had was at Road America while I was getting signed off to solo... My instructor was reminding me of the checklist after coming out of 14 for the main straight. . ".ok.. now keep it smooth and accerlate hard, good! .. up through all the gears.. up the hill.. nice! ..now we should be checking our gadges, keeping an ear out for anything wrong, checking the mirrors for anyone faster that wasn't there a second ago, and if everything is fine... you have enough time to eat a sandwich before tapping the brakes for turn 1"

..but that being said... going into the kink at RA and not lifting or braking is still one of my most thrilling experiences. Quite a bit of pucker factor! ....if you mistime it, it isn't a cone you just flattened... [:O]

Racerlinn
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 May 2008 02:06 PM
    This has been argued endlessly before. Both disciplines, solo and racing, are very different. A loss of concentration or a mistake is much more costly in road racing. And you have left the wheel-to-wheel factor out as well. It's not like a lapping day. But on the flip side, minor mistakes can be made up for in a race due to the longer format. As long as you don't make another mistake later, especially on 90 degree days when you are backing under a three layer suit, nomex undies, a balaclava, full face helmet, and a 110+ degree cabin temperature.
    jww
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 May 2008 02:58 PM

Racerlinn wrote:
    This has been argued endlessly before. Both disciplines, solo and racing, are very different. A loss of concentration or a mistake is much more costly in road racing. And you have left the wheel-to-wheel factor out as well. It's not like a lapping day. But on the flip side, minor mistakes can be made up for in a race due to the longer format. As long as you don't make another mistake later, especially on 90 degree days when you are backing under a three layer suit, nomex undies, a balaclava, full face helmet, and a 110+ degree cabin temperature.

Good point.. I was speaking mostly of lapping days... and wasn't interested in your undies.

.....speaking of mistakes being more costly ... how IS that motor issue going? [:(]

Fah GTI

--
    06 May 2008 05:08 PM
    I to have done a few laps at putnam and i have a lot more fun autocrossing. Its probably because autocrossing is so much more action packed and you cant do to much damage to your car. I think a lot depends on the car though, because a porsche on a road track is an amazing experience. But on topic, I just found out my dad designed the new location
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    06 May 2008 05:56 PM

Fah GTI wrote:
    I to have done a few laps at putnam and i have a lot more fun autocrossing. Its probably because autocrossing is so much more action packed and you cant do to much damage to your car. I think a lot depends on the car though, because a porsche on a road track is an amazing experience. But on topic, I just found out my dad designed the new location

Do you mean he designed the airport? Or is he one of our members and designed the course?

Fah GTI

--
    06 May 2008 06:23 PM
    he disigned the airport, it should be perfect for autocross because he made sure that it is very smooth
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner