Author Messages
brgmcs

--
The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
07 May 2008 09:45 AM

Plastic pedal arm? [:O]That isn't common is it? I can see it would reduce weight, but it seems kind of flimsy as proven by this article.

Luke is famous! Luke, give us the whole story. Did you have to get towed? Did the dealer tell you not to push the gas pedal so hard? And, uh, what were you doing when this broke....

Bobzilla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
07 May 2008 10:08 AM
It is common. Our 2000 Accent has one with 146k miles of hard use. I guarantee it's been mshed harder than Luke's trying to get into traffic without becoming a hood ornament.
DRAG

--
07 May 2008 11:48 AM
The Nebulizer wrote:

Plastic pedal arm? [:O]That isn't common is it? I can see it would reduce weight, but it seems kind of flimsy as proven by this article.

Luke is famous! Luke, give us the whole story. Did you have to get towed? Did the dealer tell you not to push the gas pedal so hard? And, uh, what were you doing when this broke....

It is very common on newer drive by wire cars. On some models BMW has a plastic gas pedal and clutch pedal. It is also common for them to break. Subaru had pedal issues with the STI. Plastic can be very strong, but I feel that on the EVO X it is a poorly engineered piece. Most drive by wire cars have the pedal mounted to the floor. This is a hanging pedal just like a metal one with cable throttle. It is in a good position for driving, but there is no stop at the bottom of the pedal and you can push it too far.

Some of the details in that story are not accurate, but I made some of them not accurate as I was trying to protect my warranty at the time. I was at ORP getting ready to run it down the drag strip for the 1st time. I pushed the pedal to the floor to get on the launch control, just like I do at every auto x, and it snapped off. I sat there for an hour waiting for roadside assistance when I finally figured out that I could take my shoe off and push the accelerator button with my big toe, so I drove it home and to the dealer. The next day the dealer called and said they were voiding my entire warranty because the service manager was at the track and saw me racing. My response was "I'm 10 minutes away from the dealer, I'll be there in 5" We had quite the conversation in the showroom...and it cleared out. The truth was that some little shit that posts on IndyCarz works there and ratted me out. I never even went down the track. It snapped on the line. There are 3 EVO X's on the lot at the dealer, and they have been sitting there since I bought mine more than 3 months ago. Long story short, they made right and covered my car. The truth is they probably lost a repeat customer because of their initial reaction because they DID turn this into Mitsu corporate along with my personal info and VIN. It is a pretty high profile deal right now...unfortunatley for me. But I made it that way in order to "get things done." When they told me my warranty was void I told them that the average person tells 8 people when they have had a poor experience...and I promised to tell a million. I didn't make that up.

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
07 May 2008 12:39 PM

DRAG wrote:
The next day the dealer called and said they were voiding my entire warranty because the service manager was at the track and saw me racing.

Unbelievable. They build a car with greatly publicized 0-60 and quarter mile times, then threaten you for trying to repeat their selling statistics. This kind of stuff really gets under my skin. You were even doing it in a fully lawful way. My dealer once asked me if I raced my car - I didn't know what to say, so I just asked him 'if I did, would it matter?'. He said no and I merely said I hear they make pretty good race cars...

I think my warranty just ended last week [:'(] (of course they were never willing to fix any of the things I wanted repaired under warranty anyway... )

Bobzilla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
07 May 2008 01:16 PM

Never had any problems with warranty repairs here. . . no one believes you would actually race a Korean Econobox. :D I'm down to my last 10K of the 10/100 powertrain warranty. It'll be gone by summer's end.

It's no suprise that Mitsu is doing this to you Luke. They did it in the past with the first Evo's they brought here. I remember them having people at track days/street legal drags running liscense plates and VIN's voiding warranties. Nothing out of character for them in all honesty.

Eclipse2Lancer
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
07 May 2008 02:02 PM

I'll echo Luke's sentiments. That is complete BS and I probably would have reacted the same way. The part is clearly poorly engineered.

The "other" dealer I go to knows I autocross (used to autocross the Ralliart), and the service manager has no problems fixing things for me under warranty. It's also understood that anything that would happen to fail while autocrossing would be on my dime. This is they sway things should be. They understand that co-operating with racers is just good business for them in the long run.

Sorry to hear your dealer felt the need to jerk you around.

DRAG

--
07 May 2008 03:17 PM

My dealer (Skillman) has always treated me well on my previous EVO and they never gave me a hard time. I'm out here using the car, which "could" help them sell a few cars. Obviously what they are doing isn't helping. The trouble I had was with a rookie service manager. I think it is straightened out.

My dad took his BMW in for brake pads, which are free under his service agreement, and was bragging about how he has been racing the car in solo events. They were happy to hear how he felt about the car's performance ability. +1 for BMW in my book.

schmuk

--
07 May 2008 05:00 PM

mitsu's been doing that same void the warranty crap for a while now, you would think they would see the light.... Here's a fast car, but don't drive it that way...

VW was (and in some places still is) like that. They used to void the warranty for anything - oh you put different headlight bulbs in, well that voids your powertrain warranty and is for sure the reason your coil packs failed. But nowdays I have had better luck on that respect. I actually had them do a pre tech inspection while doing some warranty work for a HPDE at VIR. And now VW is doing some sponsership of some of the HPDE events I am doing. Guess they realized that w/ some of their reliability issues they had, getting the large customer base back they had 5-10 years ago has to start somewhere. And the enthusiast who knows better than the average person what the car is and is capable of is a good cheap place to start w/ marketing.

I was kind of hoping for mitsu's sake that the new model would help them out with some of the issues they had in the past, but it doesn't look promising with stories like this. If an accelerator pedal breaks, it shouldn't matter how, I can push it just as hard on the street or track. Now if I crack a rotor doing a track day or auto-x, then that's all me because I doubt there is a street example that will get my brakes as hot as say a day in august at VIR.

DRAG

--
07 May 2008 05:39 PM

I am on my 2nd VW for my wife...1st an 03 1.8T Beetle and now an 07 2.5 Jetta. I love their cars...best interior quality of any car, but the dealers are the worst. Every time she goes in for an oil change she has to restrain me from walking in there with my Winchester and making spaghetti sauce out of everyone. Ha ha just kidding. That sounds bad :D She comes home with a list of "stuff" that needs to be done to her car every time, usually totalling $500-2000. This is on BRAND new cars! The last oil change, it was that the tires were wearing abnormally and she needed an alignment for $200 and her 2 front tires replaced at $300 each. So I went home and looked at the tires....they are perfect...brand new with no wear at all. Arrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh!

schmuk

--
07 May 2008 05:59 PM
agreed - that's why I try to do as much as I can myself. They give me a pretty good price on parts, so I'll go there for that, but other than warranty work I usually go elsewhere or my garage. Which dealer do you head to mainly? Just curious
Fah GTI

--
08 May 2008 06:19 PM
I go to the Tom Wood VW on 96 and i think their attitudes on the MKV have changed drastically because they know I auto cross, one maintenance guy is thinking about coming out even. My dealer even asks me how it performs every time I show up. I haven't had any warranty work however yet. Porsche is definitely the opposite i think, they will inspect you car for you to go race it, and they never try to bs you.
dbrier
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
08 May 2008 08:08 PM

Subaru can be just as bad. They would give you a free SCCA membership with the purchase of new WRX then void your warranty if they caught you racing.

Tom Wood used to be bad, but they have really come around. They sponsor our meetings and look at mods and racing realistically.

There were reports of Speedway Subaru/VW/Mazda taking pictures of cars at 16th Street and writing down VIN numbers from cars in the paddock. That is totally uncalled for.

jww
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
08 May 2008 09:11 PM
dbrier wrote:

Tom Wood used to be bad, but they have really come around. They sponsor our meetings and look at mods and racing realistically.

I would agree with that from the Audi side of Tom Wood. They are pretty cool about my mods as well as my Audi club buddies. They have sponsored our track days and flatbedded a new S4 out to Putnam for us to sit and drool over.. (however they kept the keys!!.. boo!)

Anytime I go in there they ask me what event I have just ran or what is coming up. It's really too bad seeing the posts about other dealers that aren't as supportive. I think they need to consider that we are the true enthusiasts of what they sell.

DRAG

--
09 May 2008 03:25 PM

I bought her Beetle at Speedway, and after it leaving her stranded on the side of the road 4 times in under 20K miles for different issues and then them sending her home with a HUGE bill every oil change, I bought the Jetta at Tom Wood. Wiht 7K miles on the Beetle they told her she needed her injectors cleaned for like $280. So I met here there, walked straight into the garage and said "My wife needs her injectors cleaned, can you show me how you guys do that?" I happen to use a pretty fancy injector cleaning station on a regular basis being that I run alcohol in my Honda. He told me they don't have one and showed me a bottle of injector cleaner. The sh*t hit the fan.

So I went to Tom Wood for the next warranty work....faulty brake pedal switch (3rd time). While we are there waiting we decide to trade the Beetle in on a new Convertible Beetle. They gave us a good trade-in and I was just signing the paper work. The service manager walks out and says, ok after you sign the paper work for your new car, you owe $100 for your Green Beetle. I was confused. I just traded it in. "Well we can't replace the brake switch under warranty without hooking the computer up to your car so that we get a computer verification that the switch is indeed faulty. You have an aftermarket CD player, so our computer will not work. You owe us $100 for the switch." Heh. I told them that VW installed that CD player because some tool sold the 6 disc Monsoon Changer to another customer when we purchased our car. They gave us a couple options, and that is what we came up with...they paid for a nice aftermarket one. They lost a sale that day over $100 because I told them to take that convert and shove it. Needless to say...I ended up back there again to buy a Jetta. I will agree that Tom Wood is 50 times better than Speedway. They are plain thieves.

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
09 May 2008 03:55 PM

Did you guys ever see that show "King of Cars" on A&E. It was great - an inside view on a used car lot - very informative on the inner workings of a successful dealership - the tactics, motivations, values, etc. They mostly presented them from a good viewpoint, but you could see the manipulation in the sales techniques. I wish they would do more episodes. (Blue Genie ruled!!)

I like that post, Luke. Next time Dreyer & Reinbold tries to screw me (i.e. next time I go there), I am going to have to try busting into their shop and getting details like that... I am sure I already told my story about going in to get a lug tapped? They came back with an $1800 bill (they claimed I needed a new hub rather than a simple tap, new rotors since the new ones I had were on the wrong side... )

schmuk

--
09 May 2008 04:20 PM

that's funny on the brake light switch - they cost like $4 at the parts counter.... I would have just said I'll be right back walked over bought one and said put this in, I'll keep my hundred bucks - it takes 5 minutes to do it. Funny thing is they didn't want to do a second one on my R32 (one had been done under recall), so I just bought one myself.

I personally have liked the treatment I have got at dryer the best, and that's why I bought the GTI there, but recently due to the fact I live within a mile from tom wood, any warranty work I have done has been there, as well as parts buying there. I still use my free Sat carwashes on the GTI - after 8 years, I have got my moneys worth on them :)

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
09 May 2008 04:26 PM

schmuk wrote:
I still use my free Sat carwashes on the GTI - after 8 years, I have got my moneys worth on them :)

I have been going to D&R for almost 3 years and I don't think they have ever washed my car (like they are supposed to). Usually they claim it is too cold. The difference is you bought a car from them. Then they roll out the red carpet. But, if you just go there for service, you get treated like second class citizens. There must be some kind of flag that comes up when they type your name in...

Shahab323is

--
11 May 2008 10:37 AM
Anyone have any experience with Bob Rohrman? I'm even more hesitant to autocross now after Luke told me this story the other night. I don't want to have to find rides in other people's cars for the next 3 years!
DRAG

--
11 May 2008 12:49 PM

Shahab323is wrote:
Anyone have any experience with Bob Rohrman? I'm even more hesitant to autocross now after Luke told me this story the other night. I don't want to have to find rides in other people's cars for the next 3 years!

You will be fine. Most dealers won't pull that crap. It certainly isn't worth missing out on auto x.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner