Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Bobzilla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
16 May 2008 03:17 PM
    Driving around at lunch today, I came to the realization that the car is a great car. A fantastic car. An unbelievably fun car. At 8/10's.

Last Sunday I was a little dsiappointed with the car's overall performance. It was fun, but every flaw was glaring in my face after the day was done. But today, I drove it at a little less than full tilt, balls to the wall crazy man style and it was just fun and flawless. So for the average Joe, who only gets crazy once in a while, it's perfect. For the hardcore, looking for a constant buzz from the driving experience, look else where.

I'm in no way knocking the car. What else can be locally competitive, be a great DD and still knock down 32+mpg on the daily slog and 29mpg on race weekends? Still uber impressed with the car. I just want the Swift done so I don't push it so hard all the time and take it out of it's comfort zone.
    mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 May 2008 08:43 AM

You just explained my car, except for the "at 8 thenths stuff". Mines good -n- fun to the limit!

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    17 May 2008 02:55 PM

I think I get frustrated at times with it when I shouldn't be. It was a cheap Korean econobox mde to go from point A to point B and look what I do to the poor thing. . .

I dunno, just rambling I'm sure. I'm looking forward to no longer compromising a good DD for a toy. It's like a "One size fits all" hat, it doens't fit ANYONE right.

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    17 May 2008 10:34 PM

I hear ya, Bob. The only great autocross car that I have ever driven that makes a decent street car is a Miata. For some reason, the insanely high spring rates don't really affect the Miata as bad as some other cars. The CRX that I just bought and my old 92 Civic Si are HORRIBLE street cars when set up to be good autocross cars. You sure are gonna be very happy when the Swift is done.

Fah GTI

--
    18 May 2008 12:02 PM
    i feel the same way about my GTI it still feels the exact same on the street as the day I bought it. Even with a decent set of springs it is still a terrific DD and a decent autocross car. I get around 32mpg on the Highway, on anyother road however my young self comes out and takes control of my brain and i get around 22mpg
    thedrumm
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 May 2008 02:02 AM

I have a '05 Elantra GT 5 speed that I bought new in '05, and I have never gotten more than 27 mpg. I drive from Greenwood to the airport 5 days a week, almost all highway. How do you get 32 mpg? I do like it, but I have the original 15 X 6 wheels with the original Michelin HR garbage tires. Have you lowered yours or changed the suspension? It looks much lower than mine, and you have the GLS compared to my GT. The GT is suposed to have a "sport tuned" suspension, whatever that means.

Ted

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 May 2008 09:10 AM

The "sport tuned suspension" was a 1mm larger frt and rr sway bar and different coils. Still way too soft IMO. I'm on H&R springs and a 03 Tib 19mm rear sway bar. Car is night and day different. You get bored one of these Sundays and I'll toss you the keys.

As for my mileage, the Elantra is picky. Anything over 3200rpms and the ECU goes into WOT tuning mode. So with a 5 spd, that means you want to keep it at or below 74mph. To go faster, I've gone oversized on my tires (sonata 16" wheels and 205/55) so 3200rpms puts me closer to 80. So when I want to run 75, it thinks I'm running 70 and the engine spin slower.

Next, open up the intake. This car is really choked from the factory. The first step would be remove the resonator from the fenderwell. If you really wanted more, step up to a true CAI. Over inflate to 37/35 f/r tire pressures and you're golden.

Also, don't trust the trip computer for mileage. IT's about half right half the time.

There's a couple of good online resources for this car, www.elantraclub.com being the better of the two for the "more mature" generation such as myself!

EDIT: Ted, on vacations, we get 36-38mpg with the car now. Just for reference.

mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    31 May 2008 08:53 AM
    Bobzilla wrote:

Also, don't trust the trip computer for mileage. IT's about half right half the time.

So what you're saying is that the trip computer was designed by meteorologists?

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner