Data Loggers?
 10 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
DRAG

--
27 May 2008 11:24 AM

I know I could go do some research on this, but I like to hear opinions from people I know and that I see drive every other weekend. Forums have a lot of BS opinions tossed in...mostly from people who read and repeat instead of having actual experience.

What do you run and what do you like and dislike about it?

What would you consider the best unit regardless of price?

What would you consider a good compromise that is affordable?

Thanks!! [:D]

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    27 May 2008 01:01 PM

Gus and I have a MaxQData. I have about $600 in it including the price of the PDA that runs the software. Brian Davis has one as well. I like it. We can compare runs in grid. The only complaint I have with it is the resolution. Brian has the newer model with higher resolution. I'm sure he will chime in about it.

Gus and I talked today about getting a DL1. Much higher resolution and better software. Only problem is that it is very difficult to compare runs in grid. It records on to a storage card. You have to have your laptop with you to download the data then run the mapping program. The DL1 is quite a bit more expensive at about $1000.

Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 May 2008 02:03 PM

I'll let Brian give the details, but I love that he has a datalogger. Most times it confirms the "butt-dyno" on what went right/wrong.

IMO, I think it is more useful with a co-driver to compare. That way, in most cases, I can really see where Brian is kicking my a$$!

DRAG

--
    27 May 2008 02:31 PM

I definately see having a co-driver at nationals being an advantage for data. Some of the EVO say they were also doing it for tire temps.

Is there a way for you guys to post a screen shot or example of what the data looks like after you make a pass? I'll do a search now to see if I can find something.

DRAG

--
    27 May 2008 02:40 PM

Ok...so I found some screen shots of what the data looks like on their website.

What data is most useful to you guys when comparing a run to your reference run? Is it the speed through sections or do you use the course mapping with the accel and decel maps that show where you were faster/slower? It seems like that would be a pain to read on a PDA, but easy to read on my laptop.

It sure would be nice to import that crap into my navigation screen [D]

Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 May 2008 02:55 PM
    DRAG wrote:

Ok...so I found some screen shots of what the data looks like on their website.

What data is most useful to you guys when comparing a run to your reference run? Is it the speed through sections or do you use the course mapping with the accel and decel maps that show where you were faster/slower? It seems like that would be a pain to read on a PDA, but easy to read on my laptop.

It sure would be nice to import that crap into my navigation screen [D]

To make it easy for us, Brian breaks the course up into sections (1, 2, 3, etc.) and does time comparisons to see who is faster. We like to compare speed also. It helps show who is carrying more speed where. The G-Force loads are fun to look at....to get an approximation of G's in a turn. Example: at the last Grissom event, MaxQ showed we were both pulling around 1.3 G's through the turnaround....but my exit speed was consistently 4-7 MPH higher.

We communicate to let each other know what we are doing to make each other better in different sections. But this is mostly post event, with the intent of banking information for future events with similar elements. During the event in a 2 driver car, the pace is a lot faster so it is more difficult to pull data on the spot.

DRAG

--
    27 May 2008 03:13 PM

So do you find the course mapping with the accel and braking zones useful? Or just the speed through sections?

I don't want to spend $1000 on something that may be useless to me. I can pretty much feel where I am quick and goofing, but I can only realistically concentrate on remembering things from 2 sections of the course each pass. If you guys feel the data is useful from pass to pass with a single driver...I think I may give the MaxQ a shot.

turbohappy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 May 2008 06:07 PM

It really depends on when you are using it. In between runs on the small screen of the device I don't get as in-depth as when I get home. At the event I'll have the runs chase each other to try to examine different sections and I'll look at MPH through sections. I only use the Full map, I can't wrap my head around the zoomed map at all honestly. At big events I'll try to walk the course with my datalogger in my hat or something and get a base run. Then I'll set beacons for section times and then it's easy to compare section times. You could also do this based on your first run. I usually end up not setting beacons until we get home, especially at local events.

Having datalogging between runs can change how you approach things. Andy Hollis (from Texas) is very good at this, from what I've seen. You have 2 sections you aren't 100% sure what the best way to attack it is. So you run it one way your first run and another your 2nd run. Then you compare and do your 3rd run the best way on both sections. Whereas I usually make some sort of plan and stick to it, I've found myself experimenting a little more (and I should do even more) and I think it helps.

A lot of times you know whether it was better or worse, but you really don't know by how much (even if you think you do). I've found many times that a section I though was a LOT better was only worth a tenth and a section I thought was a little better was worth 1/2 a second.

It's also useful for figuring how much time you left out there if you don't feel like you ever had a great run. On Monday, I knew I had a couple runs where I ran the front side well, but the backside sucked and a couple runs that were the opposite. Using the data I was able to determine that I could have gained at least a second if I had put a run together that was good on both sides. Beware, sometimes it results in wanting to kick your own ass [;)]

I've looked at data on the DL1 and it is definitely better since it has actual accelerometers. But it's a lot more expensive and the ability to look at the data during the event is reduced. If I was road racing or even doing lots of autocross test and tunes, I'd go with it for sure. But for autocross I chose the MaxQ.

Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 May 2008 07:27 PM

Eclipse2Lancer wrote:
    But this is mostly post event, with the intent of banking information for future events with similar elements. During the event in a 2 driver car, the pace is a lot faster so it is more difficult to pull data on the spot.

So all that discussion post the Grissom event sure helped you put the smack down at Columbus this weekend. MaxQ ftw! [:P]

Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 May 2008 07:46 PM
    Locked wrote:

Eclipse2Lancer wrote:
    But this is mostly post event, with the intent of banking information for future events with similar elements. During the event in a 2 driver car, the pace is a lot faster so it is more difficult to pull data on the spot.

So all that discussion post the Grissom event sure helped you put the smack down at Columbus this weekend. MaxQ ftw! [:P]

Off topic there, my friend! [;)]

Sometimes you just aren't focused to apply your knowledge or skill. That event is like Vegas for me.....what happened there.....STAYS there! [:D] I know I'm better than I was that day.

DRAG

--
    27 May 2008 09:14 PM
    Every time I miss an event I mope around and whine and lock myself in my closet and eat myself. I wish I had been there.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner