AspireTec Engineering  468
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 11 Aug 2008 03:18 PM by  Peppler33CS
August 3rd at the Fort Wayne Coliseum event(Event Master Chuck McMillion)
 49 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>
Author Messages
chriskrumnow

--
24 Jun 2008 12:18 PM

Here is a link to Myautoevents.com!

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae...nt_id=8700

What are the plans for the event?

What are the plans for the course?

wrheadle

--
    24 Jun 2008 08:33 PM

Possibly speaking out of turn on Chuck but...

Current plan is to have 2 courses (well, one course, but run in both directions). The morning heats would take 3 runs on the course in one direction, break for lunch for say 20-30 minutes to allow for moving the start and finish, altering a couple of spots, and walking the course in the opposite direction. I have included the course maps below for your review. The best time in each direction would be combined for an event winner.

Blue dots are cones, lines are course edges and slaloms are shown as crisscrossing curves. Both slaloms on the course are optional entry side. Small red boxes are drain grates, red dots are light poles, large red squares are high-tension power poles, and the long red rectangle in the lower right is a guard rail. White box is timing and yellow box is equipment truck.

Morning course starts east (bottom) center by baseball stadium and finishes along south (left) end of lot

Morning course

Afternoon course reverses start and finish locations, with the cool down lane added as course at the start. There are two modifications to the body of the course, one as you enter the northern (right) half of the course to change the brake zone after the sweeper, and the kink around the light pole (near afternoon course finish) is removed.

Afternoon course

Thoughts?

Bill

KBroeker

--
    24 Jun 2008 10:09 PM
    <<< Safety dude for this event putting on safety hat...Where is paddock and grid? If grid is to the East and paddock is to the West, is there an issue with people returning to paddock after their last runs while others are still finishing runs...I have no concept of scale here so maybe there is more than enough room for the above scenario...also wondering about minimum distances to obstacles and spectators... is there a barrier either already there or something we can put up besides just cones on the West side (natural area for spectators)...for this event, do we want to restrict access to the paddock for non-drivers/non-riders more than we have in the past at Intl/Nav....considering the incident at the last event, do you think some "if this happens, do that" coaching should take place in the driveres meeting...I think we already prompt for "both feet in" in case of a spin...just some thoughts and questions.
    KBroeker

--
    24 Jun 2008 10:40 PM
    A few more questions...I am not sure if it is the Event Master or Solo Director who applies for event sanction/insurance, but make sure you do this in time...also, besides myself, Jerry Strope and Bill Headlee (I think) who are SSS in our region or will likely be attending (like Lee Miller and/or Warren LeVeque)...can we get hats or vests that are special for the SSS's, so the average participant or spectator knows why you are asking them to not have their 4 year old son run through grid?
    slowmod2

--
    24 Jun 2008 11:11 PM

course looks good.

there are only two possible concerns that i see:

With the morning course: if your coming out of that slalom with any speed the pole at the finish might be close.

afternoon course: after you come out of the two sweepers there is a small straight away with a pole at the end.

Hope I'm not being to critical, I would just hate to loose another site.

wrheadle

--
    24 Jun 2008 11:20 PM

Paddock is cropped off of the bottom of the image (it will be next to the ball park) and the grids are between the start and finish. The red line on the west (top) of the course is a temporary concrete barrier that will be in place when we get there. The access road that I have drawn in on the south (left) end is the controlled access (waiver) access. Scott and I spent nearly 2 hours on the parking lot laying out the courses. We should be fine on distances.

As a side note, "both feet in" only works when it has a clutch, and the incident you refer to did not have that option. We can talk all we want, but instinct and pre-programmed responses will take over in that type of situation, regardless of what you tell them in the driver's meeting. Besides, its not like that incident was a rookie driver error... It was mechanical failure with a relatively experienced competitor. Some things just happen, thus the term "accident".

BTW- I'm not a SSS.

Bill

wrheadle

--
    24 Jun 2008 11:24 PM
    slowmod2 wrote:
    With the morning course: if your coming out of that slalom with any speed the pole at the finish might be close.

That was moved to address that issue. The map is for direction, not scale distances.

slowmod2 wrote:
    afternoon course: after you come out of the two sweepers there is a small straight away with a pole at the end.

Don't see where you are referencing. More detail please.

Bill

OneEyeMedia

--
    25 Jun 2008 08:48 AM

Thanks Chris for the updates!

I am working on the flyer this week. Should have it all ready for Chuck for him to submit Monday for advertising. It will look killer!

Chris,

One thing, anything new I may need to have on the flyer for info? I have the usual... Just want to be sure it is all there!

Please email me the details, Thanks!

chriskrumnow

--
    25 Jun 2008 08:37 PM

Honestly there really have not been any updates other than opening registration for the next three events. If you want to know, I did the sanction and insurance about a month ago. Other than that it is supposed to be the Event Master's gig. I'm trying to give them as much space as possible. I do need to know what else to request from the colliseum. I want to meet with them a week or two before the event to go over details again.

The cement barrier are give us a little more room than the picture shows. The barriers will continue the guardrail all the way across the parking lot. Scott and Bill are correct that there is not enough room between the cement wall and the light poles to put the course anyway. As there is only about 40 ft between them.

chriskrumnow

--
    25 Jun 2008 08:41 PM

Seeing all that room reminds me that 97hp is just not enough hp! I really need to put a small block in the fiero!

HEHEHEHEHEHE!!

wrheadle

--
    25 Jun 2008 10:36 PM
    chriskrumnow wrote:
    I do need to know what else to request from the colliseum. I want to meet with them a week or two before the event to go over details again.

The chance to mark cones a day or two before the event. Won't leave anything set up, just leave chalk marks on the ground to save time...

chriskrumnow wrote:
    The cement barrier are give us a little more room than the picture shows. The barriers will continue the guardrail all the way across the parking lot. Scott and Bill are correct that there is not enough room between the cement wall and the light poles to put the course anyway. As there is only about 40 ft between them.

Based on our visit a few weeks ago, the reconstruction of the Coliseum Blvd entrance has moved the guard rail to just about where I have shown the red line. The Google maps screen capture that the maps are drawn on above is the old layout, not the new.

Bill

OneEyeMedia

--
    26 Jun 2008 02:44 PM
    chriskrumnow wrote:

Seeing all that room reminds me that 97hp is just not enough hp! I really need to put a small block in the fiero!

HEHEHEHEHEHE!!

You would still be slow.

Chuck, Chris, and Steve... check your email for the Flyer. This should be ready to go!

bmonnin1
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Jul 2008 04:41 PM

Kyle,

I just got my class and training for SSS finished (and signed off) at the GASS event in Columbus and I will be at this event so there is one more SSS you can add to the list. Also if you think we need vest or hats you can buy green hats that say you are a SSS from SCCA but they are not very cheap. A single hat cost $18 if you purchase them as a single member, $14 if you purchase them with the region's account. I do agree that you need to have something like that for the SSS though.

Bart Monnin

Dasmopar

--
    15 Jul 2008 05:33 PM

We are trying to get a small group of NWOR folks to come out and kick all your butts. So make sure it's a good 400FWD hp course would ya? Lots of long straights but not to long as down shifting to 2nd gear can be tough for me. No drag race type starts as that favors the AWD Chuck cars.

Hope to see you all there

Lon

OneEyeMedia

--
    15 Jul 2008 06:09 PM

woot woot!!!

Bring it :)

Garold Shaffer

--
    17 Jul 2008 02:30 PM

Hey guys, Garold Shaffer INR RE. A few of us will be there also. I'm also a SSS so if you need more help I am willing.

It looks like your event will be the unvailing of my new (too me) AX weapon. The wife & I plan to come down the night before and get a hotel room. I used to live in FT Wayne, but its been 22yrs so I know things have changed. Is there any hotel close by the Coliseum that you would recommend? I will have my car on an open trailer so I am looking some place well lit and safe. Spent all my "mad money" getting the car ready that I don't have enough for a enclosed trailer yet :-( It's also a open car (no roof) so just a few concerns there also.

Thanks!

OneEyeMedia

--
    17 Jul 2008 02:44 PM

Give me an email - I can hook you up!

We have a family B&B and you could park the trailer at my house :)

jasonpmassey@gmail.com

260-744-2261 ext 124 is my wrk number :)

LET talk!

Garold Shaffer wrote:

Hey guys, Garold Shaffer INR RE. A few of us will be there also. I'm also a SSS so if you need more help I am willing.

It looks like your event will be the unvailing of my new (too me) AX weapon. The wife & I plan to come down the night before and get a hotel room. I used to live in FT Wayne, but its been 22yrs so I know things have changed. Is there any hotel close by the Coliseum that you would recommend? I will have my car on an open trailer so I am looking some place well lit and safe. Spent all my "mad money" getting the car ready that I don't have enough for a enclosed trailer yet :-( It's also a open car (no roof) so just a few concerns there also.

Thanks!

OneEyeMedia

--
    17 Jul 2008 03:12 PM

Also, if you email me your phone number, I can call you from the B&B and work some stuff out. We have room in one suite and a couple rooms ava. upstairs.

Would love to help you out!

Cheers,

Jason Massey

sts38
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Jul 2008 04:17 PM

The event will be right in the heart of Ft. Wayne.....hotel options are endless.

Anything on Coliseum, Coldwater, Lima, or Washington Cntr should work just fine.

The Super 8 on Coliseum is less than a block away.

sts38
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Jul 2008 04:51 PM

btw....don't forget to save $5 by pre-registering.

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae...nt_id=8700

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 3123 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner