Sunoco 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 18 Jul 2008 09:36 AM by  Primetime Glick
Bringing back the 55 mph speed limit? Read this!
 9 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Aged racer
New Member
New Member
Posts:


--
14 Jul 2008 09:38 PM
    Guys, don't know where this might fit, so I've picked this section. Figure it applies to towing, if nothing else. Writing to raise the alarm- a U.S Senator has brought up bringing back the old National 55 mph speed limit, in the name of "energy savings". Sadly, it's Virginia's own Senator John Warner, who yesterday asked the DoE to "evaluate" what the "conservation effects" might be.

    Please, wasn't this nightmare discredited enough years ago? The productivity losses, the enforcement costs, just plain taking forever to do your business doing the week (or getting to the track on the weekend). The energy savings are likely dubious as well (Can we drill more? Now?)

    Small example- my travel times to Roebling Road are 7 hours one way, close to same for Road Atlanta. The thought of adding close to four hours travel time is absolutely depressing. Yes, I'll buy more gas, but that's my choice!

    If you agree, email your Senator, and the rest of your representatives ASAP, and make your opinion known! Maybe enough heat on the pol's will nip this thing in the bud. 0

    Steve

    davebs14
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Posts:2498


    --
    14 Jul 2008 10:14 PM
    unless you're donating millions of dollars to them the entire US senate doesn't give a rats a$s what anyone thinks. :(
    PullG
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Posts:214


    --
    14 Jul 2008 10:36 PM

    Aged racer wrote:
    Guys, don't know where this might fit, so I've picked this section. Figure it applies to towing, if nothing else. Writing to raise the alarm- a U.S Senator has brought up bringing back the old National 55 mph speed limit, in the name of "energy savings". Sadly, it's Virginia's own Senator John Warner, who yesterday asked the DoE to "evaluate" what the "conservation effects" might be.

    Shouldn't be a surprise. IMO, Virginia runs right behind Ohio in trying to make life difficult for long-distance drivers, plus VDOT never figured out how to fix potholes and plow roads in the 10 years I lived in there. Warner knows as well as anyone else that highway drivers find their own pace -- speed enforcement on the Interstates is little more than revenue collection, and a lower speed limit just increases the opportunities.

    DrJones_CMR
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Posts:527


    --
    15 Jul 2008 06:55 AM
    PullG wrote:

    Aged racer wrote:
    Guys, don't know where this might fit, so I've picked this section. Figure it applies to towing, if nothing else. Writing to raise the alarm- a U.S Senator has brought up bringing back the old National 55 mph speed limit, in the name of "energy savings". Sadly, it's Virginia's own Senator John Warner, who yesterday asked the DoE to "evaluate" what the "conservation effects" might be.

    Shouldn't be a surprise. IMO, Virginia runs right behind Ohio in trying to make life difficult for long-distance drivers, plus VDOT never figured out how to fix potholes and plow roads in the 10 years I lived in there. Warner knows as well as anyone else that highway drivers find their own pace -- speed enforcement on the Interstates is little more than revenue collection, and a lower speed limit just increases the opportunities.

    I'm sure the law enforcement agencies are taking hits in revenue. I know of a lot of people (me included) that have slowed down considerably on daily commutes just to save that daily gas.

    cmt52663
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Posts:443


    --
    15 Jul 2008 09:02 AM

    Empirically, I observe the same trend in eastern MA. Average speeds on Route 95 are down 5-10 mph.

    Hopefully some bright spark will collect some data - if the closed loop feedback from wallet to right foot is having similiar effects nationally then traffic flow may be slowing to the currently posted limits, effecting significant conservation.

    In my case (driving a small but extremely un-aerodynamic Cooper - cd of something like .36) the difference between 85 and 70 is in the order of 20% in fuel consumption.

    55 would be a disaster!

    Charlie

    solonut52
    New Member
    New Member
    Posts:


    --
    15 Jul 2008 12:11 PM

    For me it wont change much as when towing i usually run about 62 mph and get 15+ mpg. If I run 70 mph I get 11-12 mpg...on most trips it might take an hour longer drivig time...but I've observed people pass me 2-3 times in a 300 mile trip and when i get to the destination they pull in after me...its the old tortise and the hare syndrom....

    Foglght
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Posts:794


    --
    16 Jul 2008 12:32 PM
    solonut52 wrote:

    For me it wont change much as when towing i usually run about 62 mph and get 15+ mpg. If I run 70 mph I get 11-12 mpg...on most trips it might take an hour longer drivig time...but I've observed people pass me 2-3 times in a 300 mile trip and when i get to the destination they pull in after me...its the old tortise and the hare syndrom....

    That's strange, but considering drivers training in the states is soo poor, and the fact that people who want to go faster are kept at bay by people on their cellies poking along in the left lane, it doesn't suprise me one bit.

    There literally is no data to support a bill that would validate the reasoning for lowering the limit. If anything, I'd say remove it. Let the guzzlers guzzle, and the rest that actually care can stay to the right and reap the benefits of higher mpgs. Hell, charge more for drivers training and actually give the people better driving skills. That in itself would help out way more than lowering speed limits.

    So, how many people do any of you know that know how to really control their cars in emergency situations on the freeway, other than stabbing the woah pedal? Scary isn't it.

    Jim G
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Posts:837


    --
    16 Jul 2008 12:52 PM

    Foglght wrote:
    Hell, charge more for drivers training and actually give the people better driving skills. That in itself would help out way more than lowering speed limits.

    This would be a good thing for driving in the U.S. but it will not ever happen. Why not? Because it would take a legislative effort and what politician wants to be known for creating a bill that would result in Americans having to spend more money to get a license?! U.S. driving will continue as it is forever because all politicians main goal is to stay in office ... if they do happen to pass a good law it's because they calculated that it would not hurt their careers.

    However, they just might end up passing a 55 mph limit again because it SOUNDS good to many people and is one of those things where if you're against it (a 55 mph limit), you might be considered as "hating America" or some such ridiculous thing.

    Thinkkker03
    New Member
    New Member
    Posts:41


    --
    17 Jul 2008 04:57 PM

    I have done my own scientific testing in a flatnose guzzler. I can set the cruise on the car and just about anywhere between 55-70 there is no appreciable difference. Once I hit 75 or so *normal speed limit here* I drop 1-2 mpg. If I travel on the interstate where its 80 I can drop an additional 1-2. Normally a low of 24 on the highway, high of about 28.

    If its efficiency the only cars that I can see it really effecting are going to be the older cars. Newer vehicles I have not been able to find a large if any variance in mpg.

    The topic of US autobahn, Im game! Hell there is nothing out here anyways!

    Primetime Glick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Posts:1279


    --
    18 Jul 2008 09:36 AM

    Aged racer wrote:
    The thought of adding close to four hours travel time is absolutely depressing. Yes, I'll buy more gas, but that's my choice!

    Steve

    Steve, I'm with you wholeheartedly on that one. I know I can save gas by slowing down... but I'll pay extra to shorten my trip, and arrive awake (and not in a ditch because I fell asleep). If the daily commute is longer, it affects my productivity....

    From my experience, though, speed limits are almost completely unenforced in the expressways of mega-urban areas I've driven, i.e., Chicago, south florida. Everybody regulary drives 15 - 40 mph over any given limit around here, if the limit is even posted. As such, a 55 limit would be laughed at around here and there would be zero observed change.

    A long drive over the interstate in somewhere other than FL? You better be damn sure I observe the speed limit....

    You are not authorized to post a reply.


    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

    Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

    SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

    Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank



    Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner