Are There Any Road Racers In FWA?
 8 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Weasel Keeper

--
28 Aug 2008 11:44 PM

Just curious. I joined the FWR (since I live in the Fort) this past spring while preparing for a road course driver school with the SCCA. I don't believe I've seen anything posted here yet from anyone other than Solo guys. I realize that most FWR members are into Solo...it's easy and fairly inexpensive to get into but is there any love for the road course club racers? [;)]

Since I joined the SCCA and FWR this past spring, I've had to race with Chicago/Milwaukee region at Blackhawk Farms, Indy region at IRP (ORP), and NE Ohio region events twice at Neslon Ledges, Ohio...and I was the only FWR driver at any of these events. Heck, my buddy who owns the car I drive is from the SB region. I did see one FWR sponsored event at Grattan this spring but I couldn't make it.

Don't get me wrong, Solo is very fun. I ran in the TRF Solo and had a blast...but road courses where you can really wind out a car at high speed is where my heart is right now. So, just wondering if there are any road course racers in the Fort. [:)]

RonConrad
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Aug 2008 08:48 AM
    Mike Runyan - F500 George Russel - ITS Ron Blackman - SM don't know who is actively racing this year.
    Weasel Keeper

--
    29 Aug 2008 10:42 AM
    Cool, thanks. This year was pretty expensive for racing with gas and all. I guess it wasn't just a lack of FWR drivers, but a lack of too many drivers period. Most events I started in had only 17-19 drivers...which was cool for me being a rookie this year. [:P]
    RonConrad
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Aug 2008 11:00 AM
    unfortunately 20 entries doesn't pay the track rental. Tracks get more expensive to rent, but entrants are decreasing, thus no FWR race for 2008.
    OneEyeMedia

--
    29 Aug 2008 02:20 PM

There is still road racing going on?

Really???

No - I am just messin' with you. Unfortunantly I think most of the road racers do not do much networking on the forums. I would suggest if you have the time to come to one of the FW SCCA board meetings they have every 3rd wednesday of the month.Next meeting is Sept 17th at the Junior Acheivement building in behind Office Max and Best Buy, like you are going towards Banditos. Most of the board members here in the fort road races or use to. You could probably get some networking that way through them. Maybe get their emails or numbers if you are looking for something in particular.

Also, I think if some here do road racing it might be more like HPDE events maybe. I am not involved in this as much as I am solo, so I cannot be 100% sure.

I know that our region did not hold very many races like they have in the past; but once again - I am commenting from what I have heard through others.

Maybe when some future sites that are in the works open in the tri-county, it will have a better price tag to open more racing around here for the FW region.

As for Solo (off topic): You going to bring the snot rocket to the Kruse events? There is more room to play out there than you got to at Verizon!

Cheers,

Jason

Weasel Keeper

--
    29 Aug 2008 07:30 PM
    I'll have to talk with Chad and see if he'd want to do the Kruse event. Sounds like a blast to me. I know after running in the 24 hour race at Neslon last weekend we both need a little break, but a month is a pretty good break. We ran the car for about 2,400 miles last weekend...driving to and from Nelson and the race. Hopefully he hasn't put everything away for the winter yet. [;)]
    KBroeker

--
    29 Aug 2008 08:05 PM

Jay-

There are plenty of Club Racers in FWR. Unfortunately, in the past years and in this year in particular, the road racing events have suffered due to the economy and gas prices (the solo events have as well, but not quite as much). If you come to a solo event, some of the road racers you can look up are George Russell (ITA RX-7, typically working tech; his wife Marilyn typically helps with registration), Steve Kammeyer (Regional Exec, runs a Formula Ford?), and occasionally Pat McCammon (not sure what he drives) or Larry Dent (drives a Ford GT in solo from time to time). I'm sorry I don't know more as I typically enjoy the solo event s and that is about all I can afford in terms of time.

Weasel Keeper

--
    30 Aug 2008 03:08 AM

Thanks! Like I said I was just curious, and I totally understand the financial strain with road racing recently. I'm lucky that I have a friend who "loaned" me his car to train with and get my required races in for my regional competition license, and for the 24 hour race. Still, without having to rent the car (I did buy gas and helped with tires...plus replaced a windshield when I rolled it...lol) I probably threw down around $3,500 - $4,000 this year just being a driver for the four races and school I did. I think Chad (car owner) went down around $8,000 just for the Nelson 24 hour race after getting all the spare parts, tires, fuel, logistic stuff.

I doubt I'll do quite as much next year, but I might have to look at getting a little CRX or something just for Solo so I can come out and play a little cheaper. [;)] I guess I could run my Jeep TJ...might get first in class all the time if there is a class...lmao. (just kidding)

xunchicrewx

--
    30 Aug 2008 03:32 PM
    i tend to do events at gingerman but its more a lapping day called WMHM.. ive done that for the past 4 years now.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner