Tips for a beginner?
 7 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Shawn IN

--
01 Sep 2008 11:17 PM
    I would like to start getting evolved with autocross. I plan to make it out to the last two events at the kruse. I have mostly read over all the scca rules and faq that I could find. Bring helmet, check car, secure battery, register, pay fee. Thats basically what needs to be done? I may just come attend to spectate and not race if thats what you guys suggest I do, wait till next season to race. I plan on running a 95 ford probe gt. I'm still not 100% sure on the class it falls in yet, but I'll try to figure it out.
    bmonnin1
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Sep 2008 11:56 PM

First of all make sure the helmet you bring with you is minimum Snell M1995 or SA1995 or later. Secondly if you want to see an event first before you do an event yourself try going down to Grissom near Peru Indaina this coming weekend. There will be a lot of good people there that can help you be better prepared for your first event and probably be willing to give you a ride along on probably a very fast course. Just bring your helmet and ask questions. I will probably be there and am willing to give you a ride along or two, I drive the car in the picture next to this post.

Otherwise I say the best way to learn is just to show up and run. Most events including ours usually has a novice walk to help you figure out how to best get around the course. I like to do the novice walk to hopefully pick up something I missed when I walked the course. Don't expect to be fast on your first attempt, just go out, have fun, and learn.

Have you done any work to your Probe yet? If it is stock as from the factory leave it that way for a while. Learn how to drive the car first and get faster that way. Besides there is a chance you might not like it in which case you don't want to be spending a lot of money on something you end up not wanting to do anymore. After you start getting faster with no modifications on the car then you can start looking at what you can change on the vehicle to make it go faster. Simply put the best thing you can invest in to get faster is "seat time" and that is a lot cheaper then tires, sway bars, shocks, and engine mods. Also until you start getting the hang of it you won't really have a good idea what you can change to make the car faster.

If you need to know what class your car is in if it is totally stock you can run in G Stock or most of the street tire classes. We use a modifier index called PAX that we multiply against your best time so we can compare you against say a Corvette. The lower the number the better for you. Right now G Stock has a better PAX then the street tire classes so I would probably run in G Stock. This of course is assuming you don't have any modifications that would knock you out of G Stock.

The biggest most important thing you can do is show up and have fun.

Check out the link below, it is Indianapolis's Solo page and it has some good links you may find helpful like a Novice handbook and a car classification guide. Check it out.

http://www.indyscca.org/SoloPage.html

Shawn IN

--
    02 Sep 2008 12:24 PM

Yes the car is still stock. I left it that way knowing I would try my hand at this someday.

I will definatly attend the activities in peru this weekend. What is needed if I just do a ride along? I couldnt find the info on the indy page. I would love to take you up on the offer and if not find someone else willing.

OneEyeMedia

--
    02 Sep 2008 02:51 PM

WELCOME ABOARD!!!

SEAT TIME...SEAT TIME...SEAT TIME!!!

This is the first advise I will give you. Do not mod the car until you get a feel of what it is going to do on course.

I highly suggest you ride passenger with as many as you can if they let you... this will also help with understanding the course flow.

Look forward to meeting yah at an event!

Cheers,

Jason

bmonnin1
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Sep 2008 03:37 PM
    Shawn IN wrote:

Yes the car is still stock. I left it that way knowing I would try my hand at this someday.

I will definatly attend the activities in peru this weekend. What is needed if I just do a ride along? I couldnt find the info on the indy page. I would love to take you up on the offer and if not find someone else willing.

Actually you don't need anything since they have loaner helmets but if you have a legal helmet I would bring it, you don't know who's head the loaner helmets have been on.

Oh, and you will need to sign the insurance waiver but you'll have to do that just to get in.

Since they have to close the gate most of the day probably a good idea to get there early. If you get there early you can also walk the course like you were competing and learn a little about memorizing the course and what to look for.

Weasel Keeper

--
    02 Sep 2008 05:35 PM

Yup...no watching...drive it!

I'm also a beginner to Solo, but ran in the TRF event just for fun and ended up getting 2nd in class, and 1st out of the other Novices. [:D] With maybe 6 runs to do at an event, run the 1st and maybe 2nd run at an easier speed to get a feel for the car and course...then gradually push harder. My last lap I ran I let it all hang out (much to the dismay of the course workers picking up cones). [:P]

Nothing to hit other than cones, so just go out and have fun. Plus driving an event you get to also work the course for half of the event (picking up cones that get knocked down). This is a great way to see how others are attacking the course.

You can also see if you can grab some ride along time in between your runs to see how others are attacking. Nothing beats just going out and driving! [Y]

Weasel Keeper

--
    02 Sep 2008 05:39 PM

Andy Hollis also has some great tips for attacking a course here...

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthrea...s+top+tips

It actually helped me out a little.

xunchicrewx

--
    06 Sep 2008 01:21 PM
    yes please refrain from modding your car majorly until you know what you want to do with the car, and on a side note the more you mod the car could mean a much faster class and trust me on this..being a noob in a fast class isnt completely awesome! you might surprize yourself in knowing how quick your car can be with out 12k in mods or whatev.. cause really why spend the money on parts you might not need when you could be using that money for more events, more seat time, more runs and in turn will make you a better driver then decided what direction you wanna take your car! i might also suggest having an expirenced person ride with you for the day.. the point is to have fun but whats not fun is when youre not getting the concept of the whole thing and are afraid to ask for help. its the same idea as modding the car, might as well start right the first time.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner