You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
bmonnin1
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
17 Sep 2008 06:36 AM

Here is the flyer for the Australian Pursuit on 9-27-08. Print it, pass it out, post it please.

Australian Pursuit Flyer

Bigblockbandit

--
    17 Sep 2008 07:21 AM
    So who is bringing the cop car?!!
    sts38
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    19 Sep 2008 07:53 AM

Bart, how are the cars grouped? Displacement? By class? I've never done one of these events and I'm just curious about the format.

Is there just one overall winner? Could an HS car end up running against a CP car? If so, does HS get some sort of head start?

O6XRS

--
    19 Sep 2008 03:34 PM
    sts38 wrote:

Bart, how are the cars grouped? Displacement? By class? I've never done one of these events and I'm just curious about the format.

Is there just one overall winner? Could an HS car end up running against a CP car? If so, does HS get some sort of head start?

Hey, I'll take it if they give it! [Y]

Shawn IN

--
    19 Sep 2008 04:05 PM
    seems interesting. I'll be there.
    FTW_FRC

--
    20 Sep 2008 01:36 PM

Sounds interesting. I have ?'s being a n00b.

Two cars on the course at the same time, heading in different directions from each other? Or am I not understanding the layout?

This sounds like a lot of fun. But I am concerned about running afoul of the other vehicle on track. Are there two lanes?

I was planning on being there for the setup for the next day but can make it for this as well. But I am confused.

Is this similar to Pro-Solo with two cars on opposing courses?

Help a n00b out here please?

OneEyeMedia

--
    20 Sep 2008 03:50 PM

Quoted from Indy Regions Area:

Re: Indy Region Solo II Australian Pursuit, June 9

Racerlinn wrote:
    Indy Region Points Event #3 at the Anderson GM Plant 3 parking lot. For those not familiar, an Australian Pursuit consists of an hourglass shaped course (or an oval pinched in the middle) that we run two cars at a time on. Rather than using a timer, the cars compete head to head with the winner being the car that completes two laps first. This is not side by side racing! The cars start on opposite sides of the course at the start/finish line that bisects the center on the course. Cars are grouped in to one of four run groups that are classed by similar PAX times (such as BS and CS together, not A Mod and HS!). It's a double elimination format - loose twice and you're done. The winners of the four groups then run in the finals and we crown an overall event winner (it's not always a Prepared or Modified car as you would think).

------------------
    Steve Linn
    #6 STS Sentra SE-R
    Indy Region Head Solo Geek

I was trying to find more info for ya; buy this is the best I can do for ya. Maybe post up on the indy are to and someone will lend a hand :P I know Broeker has supposely done this once - heard from word of month, not from him. He has been on vaca this week, he will probably chime in here later on about it if he does know the event details.

Cheers,

JPM

FTW_FRC

--
    20 Sep 2008 06:04 PM
    JPMRacing26 wrote:

Quoted from Indy Regions Area:

Re: Indy Region Solo II Australian Pursuit, June 9

Racerlinn wrote:
    Indy Region Points Event #3 at the Anderson GM Plant 3 parking lot. For those not familiar, an Australian Pursuit consists of an hourglass shaped course (or an oval pinched in the middle) that we run two cars at a time on. Rather than using a timer, the cars compete head to head with the winner being the car that completes two laps first. This is not side by side racing! The cars start on opposite sides of the course at the start/finish line that bisects the center on the course. Cars are grouped in to one of four run groups that are classed by similar PAX times (such as BS and CS together, not A Mod and HS!). It's a double elimination format - loose twice and you're done. The winners of the four groups then run in the finals and we crown an overall event winner (it's not always a Prepared or Modified car as you would think).

------------------
    Steve Linn
    #6 STS Sentra SE-R
    Indy Region Head Solo Geek

I was trying to find more info for ya; buy this is the best I can do for ya. Maybe post up on the indy are to and someone will lend a hand :P I know Broeker has supposely done this once - heard from word of month, not from him. He has been on vaca this week, he will probably chime in here later on about it if he does know the event details.

Cheers,

JPM

Thanks JP!

Much clearer now. Sounds like fun. I like peanuts...lol [Beer]

KBroeker

--
    21 Sep 2008 11:55 AM

Quote from my Emial to Bart (yeah, I'm responsible):

"Aussie Pursuits are awesome (or at least I have enjoyed them). I will try to explain, but it may have to wait until we meet in person. The course is hourglass shaped, with each end being equal. Two drivers start at the "waist" of the hourglass, both headed the same "rotation" (either both CCW or both CW). They start at a starting line on each side of the waist at the drop of a flag. Both take two laps and whoever crosses the start/finish line on his side for the second time first wins the race. No timing, but sometimes it there are re-runs because the finish is so close visually. If one driver is so fast that they are catching the slow car, either the judges call it or the lead car should be reasonable and realize that by letting off, they can still maintain their 3/4 of a lap lead. When we ran them in Indy, they were always double elimination, usually with two "heats" (a slow and a fast, based on PAX or prep level). So, if you lost once, you could come back to win the "losers bracket" and if you beat the winner of the winner's bracket in your heat twice, you won the "heat" and went on to battle the winner of the other heat for the overall win. As you can see, if you do not have multiples of 8, the bracket construction can become tricky and there will be some "byes".

Some people don't like it because they only get two runs or maybe just 3 or 4. I seemed to always do well and often times was so close that there were many re-runs to decide who won. Of course, if you get loose, you are probably toast. If you spin, they throw the red flag. Also, it can be a very social event as it does not take many to run and the others can place "bets" on who will win each race."

I know that Steve Linn covered some of this, but maybe more detail helps. I can probably help with set-up and explination on Saturday, but I cannot stay for the event.

bmonnin1
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    22 Sep 2008 11:08 PM

I am planning on just running a "fast" bracket and a "slow" bracket. Given the short notice of this event and it being so close to nationals I am really not anticipating a large showing so more then two run groups would be hard to pull off, not enough workers. I am also planning to give everyone one practice run before we start actually eliminating people. This way everyone will get at least three runs. Practice runs will have two cars on course like the actual elimination. If we get enough novices to sign up I was also planning to run a "novice" run-off right before we run the finals. The novices will also compete in the normal brackets.

KBroeker

--
    22 Sep 2008 11:43 PM

Bart-

You probably only need 6-7 workers per heat...1 starter (they can get both cars to the line individually), 1 or 2 line judges (2 for second opinion on the hard calls), 2 in scoring and 2 in grid...the key is coordination between scoring (working the brackets as wins and loses are accumulated) and the grid (to get the right people to the line)...if you need to reset cones, you can do it between runs using the starter and the line judge(s).

Dasmopar

--
    23 Sep 2008 07:46 PM
    KBroeker wrote:

Bart-

You probably only need 6-7 workers per heat...1 starter (they can get both cars to the line individually), 1 or 2 line judges (2 for second opinion on the hard calls), 2 in scoring and 2 in grid...the key is coordination between scoring (working the brackets as wins and loses are accumulated) and the grid (to get the right people to the line)...if you need to reset cones, you can do it between runs using the starter and the line judge(s).

Quoted for truth. I'm going to try and make it out. I have done two of these type races in the past. I won one over all in my CS 87 GLHS in the 2.1L and up class. Car prep helps but does not make the more preped car the atomatic winner. The other one I ran in I made it to the 2.0L and down finals in my DS 97' neon ACR. They are always a blast!!!!

Bigblockbandit

--
    24 Sep 2008 04:14 PM
    Do you need to pre register for this event? I just verified I can get away this weekend and think Bob and I are going to get signed up...
    bmonnin1
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Sep 2008 11:13 PM

Bigblockbandit wrote:
    Do you need to pre register for this event? I just verified I can get away this weekend and think Bob and I are going to get signed up...

No, you don't need to preregister but if you want to it is on myautoevents.com.

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae...nt_id=9483

Bigblockbandit

--
    25 Sep 2008 07:14 AM

Got it, autoevents was apperently down for a while yesterday, Im signed up and bob is planning on coming but probably wont preregister due to computer issues...

Hopefully the new weather forcast is incorrect...

Dasmopar

--
    25 Sep 2008 08:04 AM
    Bigblockbandit wrote:

Got it, autoevents was apperently down for a while yesterday, Im signed up and bob is planning on coming but probably wont preregister due to computer issues...

Hopefully the new weather forcast is incorrect...

What did you hear aboots the weather?

KBroeker

--
    25 Sep 2008 09:33 AM

Lon & Bandit-

Right now, the Weather Channel shows high of 80 and only 10% chance of rain on Saturday.

Bart-

Do you need my help for set up/Aussie guidance and if so, what time do you want me to be there?

Dasmopar

--
    26 Sep 2008 09:59 AM
    If I was to show up in my AS solstice (sparkles) on street tires would there be a steet tire class I could run in? I guess I'm asking if there will be race rubber and street tire classes in play at this event?
    sts38
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Sep 2008 11:30 AM

Dasmopar wrote:
    If I was to show up in my AS solstice (sparkles) on street tires would there be a steet tire class I could run in? I guess I'm asking if there will be race rubber and street tire classes in play at this event?

Lon...short answer....NO

Are you and Sparkles trying to open up a can of worms? For details, click here >>> http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/321165.aspx

Dasmopar

--
    26 Sep 2008 05:23 PM
    sts38 wrote:

Dasmopar wrote:

Lon...short answer....NO

Are you and Sparkles trying to open up a can of worms? For details, click here >>> http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/321165.aspx

I scanned through that thread already. I have no way to tow Sparkles out there sat. so I will need to be on street tires. I know you guys run SMS so I was not sure if there was a STS2 or something my car could fit into with a better index than AS.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner