6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
SpeedTeacher

--
28 Sep 2008 10:59 PM

Hey Everyone,

Sorry about the unanticipated delay at the end of today's event. My right front tire decided to make a jail-break and tried to get away. I'm not sure how many people have experienced the jarring (feel and sound) of something breaking on their pride and joy, but let me tell you... it ain't good.

Luckily, it just sheared off all the lugs on that one hub. I changed from my racing wheels to my stock wheels for this event. I must have inadvertantly created a weak point. Either I didn't torque it enough for the extended lugs (I torqued it to stock specs), or did something else in relation to the change of wheels (18x9.5 to 17x8). One thing I am sure of... its probably my fault.

The car is still at Kruse. Ryan's dad (a mechanic) and I are going to go fix it on Monday afternoon. I am very fortunate to have Ryan's family on my side. They treat me very well.

Speaking of treating me well, I would like to thank everyone who helped or tried to help. I apologize if I was a little 'short' right after the incident. I was trying to digest the situation. One thing I have learned about the Fort Wayne SCCA (and our visitors) is that we all stick together. I am proud to be part of this group.

And to John (I think that's his name... ESP 17 Trans Am, maybe James?), please let me know if your jack is 'jacked' up. I will take care of any damages that may have been caused by using it to move my car. I really appreciate the help and you shouldn't have something that no longer works because you helped me.

Again, thanks to all and sorry for the delay at the end of the note.

Cliff Notes - Todd is thankful the damage was very minor and not an axle or differential. :)

Todd J.

Dasmopar

--
    29 Sep 2008 08:52 AM
    No need to be sorry man. That could have happemed to anyone of us.
    CSP137

--
    29 Sep 2008 01:15 PM

Todd,

You are very gracious, but no need. Everyone seemed very eager to help in any way possible. I am glad that the problem was as minor as it was. I don't hink I've ever seen someone loose a wheel and do so little damage!

That's the danger of running wheel spacers. Especially if the spacers are enough to get the hub centric part of the wheel past the hub. Then the wheel studs are taking the load in all directions, which can fatigue the lugs over time.

Steve

bmonnin1
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Sep 2008 01:28 PM

Todd,

As the event master it would have been very bad form if I wasn't out there helping but even if I was not the event master I would have done the same thing. As the old saying goes, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." I personnally would like to get a lot of people to help me out if something like that happened to me so when something like that happens to someone else I make sure I at least try to help. I am pretty certain that you are the same way. No apology is necessary, this is racing and sometimes things like this happens. Just return the favor when it happens to someone else.

Peppler33CS
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Sep 2008 04:04 PM

On my way home from work Monday evening, I saw Todd driving the Evo to work so he must have gotten everything taken care of! Just make sure you replaced the studs with high quality stuff! If you haven't already, you may want to replace all the other studs as well.

SpeedTeacher

--
    30 Sep 2008 10:22 PM

Thanks Guys!

It appears that the culprit is pretty simple. I believe that when I changed my tires I torqued them appropriately. But, during the event, I did not 're-torque' them to make sure they were good to go. That was my mistake. Because the event was heavy on fast left turns, it put a lot of stress on my right front wheel. Being a two-driver car didn't help either. When checking the other wheels, the lugs were all a little loose (nothing major, but not as tight as they should have been).

So... DRIVER ERROR. That's cool though. It goes to show that no matter how long you have been doing the sport, you can still learn lessons.

The next day we were able to put new lugs in and get the car going. I will be checking all the lugs, and most likely replacing them. Its a cheap insurance policy.

Todd

GLHDONTFLY

--
    01 Oct 2008 09:10 PM

Good to hear it was only lugs! It was a good thing that was such a slow spot where the car actually broke. I agree with you on the cheap insurance, change those suckers out.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner