how do you register a trailer queen?
 10 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
pinoysurf

--
28 Oct 2008 11:57 PM

Im just wondering how Im supposed to register my once street legal car that is no longer street legal.

Is it just Planned Non Operation? What do most people do?

David Lehman
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Oct 2008 12:07 AM

I believe to do this you must go to the TRANSVESTITE REGISTRATION office.

Ok now seriously-----If it isn't "street legal" then ipso facto you can't register it---IMO.

However-----don't tell them at the tag agency that you "RIPPED THE CATALYTIC CONVERTS RIGHT out of that bastard"

To register the car you probably need to show proof of insurance----show that with a old or rather older registration, and will get that which you seek.

PS---I really have no idea what I am talking about

poSSum

--
    29 Oct 2008 12:24 AM
    Probably very different from state to state (and provinces) but here in Manitoba we have "lay up" insurance which covers for fire, theft and vandalism. AFAIK they'll insure pretty much anything with a VIN. I'd suggest you contact your insurance company to see what they offer.
    pinoysurf

--
    29 Oct 2008 12:27 AM

Actually, I dont know what Im talking about. Youre right. If im not using it on the street why would I need to register it.

jumbojimbo

--
    29 Oct 2008 11:36 AM

My ITC car is registered and insured because I occasionally need to drive it 30 feet from the trailer to the driveway. I really don't want the sheriff to wander by when I'm doing it and start asking questions.

It also gives me the option to drive it locally to an autocross.

The nice thing about Ohio is that you can register anything. They never even need to see the car, it just needs to be insured if it is registered.

jim

Impala SS AutoXer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    29 Oct 2008 05:06 PM
    pinoysurf wrote:

Im just wondering how Im supposed to register my once street legal car that is no longer street legal.

Is it just Planned Non Operation? What do most people do?

In California (assuming "OC" is "Orange County"), you would PNO the car. For those outta state, a "PNO" means that the car is legal as far as registration (i.e. if you sell the car, the next owner will NOT owe back registration fees) but NOT legal to drive on public roads. It is a relatively small fee per year (I think about $10?).

rubenpadron

--
    06 Nov 2008 02:54 PM
    Impala SS AutoXer wrote:

In California (assuming "OC" is "Orange County"), you would PNO the car. For those outta state, a "PNO" means that the car is legal as far as registration (i.e. if you sell the car, the next owner will NOT owe back registration fees) but NOT legal to drive on public roads. It is a relatively small fee per year (I think about $10?).

Also in CA: I actually had a silly phone conversation with a DMV employee which went something like this:

ME: "I have a dedicated race car which is not street legal and will never be driven on the streets, always transported on a trailer... is Planned Non-Operation (PNO) the right way to register it?"

DMV: "If the car will EVER be on a public road, it needs to be smogged and registered with up-to-date tags. Being transported on a public road on a trailer is considered being on a public road and the vehicle needs to be smogged."

It makes no sense... according to hat employee, every time I trailer my PNO car (with very expired tags) to-from events, I'm risking a ticket. While trailering (open trailer), I've been followed by and even been given thumbs up from police with no issues. If I ever did get a silly ticket for trailering a PNO car, I plan to just take it to court... I hope that day never comes! [8-)]

Ruben

CSP Miata

BlueVR6

--
    06 Nov 2008 03:45 PM
    rubenpadron wrote:

DMV: "If the car will EVER be on a public road,

Ruben:

I believe the key is "on the road" (not over the road) If it is operated and it's tires are touching the road, then....

Best regards

Kurt Williams

--
    06 Nov 2008 06:14 PM

I live in California and have an IT car that I have a (OHV) Off-Higway Registration for. This costs me $25 dollars every two years. This vehicle will never be street driven again, however I wanted to have a registration for it , if for some reason the "Officer" asked for the paperwork for the car on the trailer.

Kurt

Sebastian R.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    19 Nov 2008 06:38 PM

Hey Todd, is that you?

When I put my WRX on the trailer, I just put it on PNO and that was that. When I bought Curt's Civic I had issues with DMV, after 2 trips and 2 hours waiting, I finally was able to transfer the title to my name and put the car on Non-Op status. Now it could be registered in the future if I can smog it first.

If you want more details, come by at one of the events.

pinoysurf

--
    21 Nov 2008 04:10 PM

Yea, I ended up just registering it PNO to avoid DMV issues in the future. I will probably be hitting you up soon with some trailer questions though.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner