14 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Deviousjet

--
25 Nov 2008 04:15 PM

Hello All,

I had a few ideas and question that I wanted to bring up on the forums. A group of guys including me had a meeting this past sunday about Drifting. Now I know that SCCA doesn't really have a class for this but I would like to see if maybe we can get something going to open up a drift side of SCCA. I know that membership is down and we need more people to show up. We held this meeting off of Transmountain and we had 15 cars show up. Most of the group were standing SCCA Members or regulars at Auto cross. But there were a few that were not. Now I kept track of all the people and let them know to come to the meeting that we are having on the 6th of December at Fuddruckers at 7 pm.. My question to you is if I can get a certain amount of people to come to the meeting to show that we are serious is there something we can do to get drifting as a event that could be held on the other parking lot of the stadium? All that side needs is cones. THat is it. It's not timed and it will bring in some more revenue for the club. I asked everyone and they think that Cohen is the perfect place to hold an event like this. I know that it's easy to be skeptical of just one person but will you give us a chance if we show up in numbers on the 6th???
    Also besides that I wanted to know why we don't hold PDX competitions I read about them in sports car and they seem great especially if we can hold them at Arroyo Seco. I realized that we are the PANAM region and pretty much everything we do is in EL Paso. Just wanted to run that by you.
    Please consider, I think this is what the Panam region needs in order to get bigger and make more money. I don't want this great sport to go away in this area because obviously there isn't much else to do.
    Thank You,
    Kevin Parra
    915-241-8550
    Lehrschall

--
    25 Nov 2008 10:40 PM

Kevin,

This sounds interesting. If you can get enough people to stage adrifting event I don't see a problem with using the SCCA group to help organize it. Dec 6 will not work, however. This is an awards banquet (awards and dinner). There are no plans for a business meeting that night. Our next business meeting will be on the first Monday in February 2009. We can put you on the agenda for that evening. Please keep in mind that a true drifting course is not set up like our autocross courses. This would mean different course set-ups and probably different dates for the events.

Regardless of the event type, each driver has to be a regular SCCA member or pay for a temporary membership. The insurance, sanction fees, and facilities rental gives us a break-even number of about 25 or more entries. The other items to consider with an event that would be run at the same time as an autocross are that the motorcycle training group or others typically use that other lot when we run and we are currently using 90 to 100% of the cones we have now with autocross.

I don't know enough about drifting to help much right now. I will contact our divisional and national SCCA associates to see what I can learn about their rules. We have specific, licensed assignments for our autocross, rally, and club racing activities. Safety Steward licenses are issued after training, but the training and licenses are focused on the individual type of competition. (I have Safety Steward licenses for rally and solo (autocross) events, but I am not licensed to perform those duties at a club racing event). Sanctioning and insurance for events require sign-off by safety stewards along with other requirements. We may get comments on this through the forum, but to be certain we get the official SCCA response, I'll forward the message.

Be prepared for the responses you may receive here. The majority of members on this forum are tied in some way to the current SCCA events. I'm not interested in drifting personally. However, I love cars and performance events and I will work to help you pull this together.

We have done PDX events. One of our members, Bill Walker, was instrumental in starting this in our region. This too works only if we have enough show up to pay for it. - Dave

S13 Frankie

--
    25 Nov 2008 10:50 PM

I completely agree. I enjoy the sport of drifting. I see many other cities all over the US holding drift events that are getting more and more popular. Bringing legal drifting to El Paso can only benifit not only in safety, but financially as well. This sport is becoming more and more popular. I see people transitioning from illegal street racing(as i did) to drifting. So why not bring it through the SCCA?

If membership is low, this is your chance to be the first place to kick off the drift craze in El Paso! You guys will make mad bank. Drifters from all over the city and beyond would drive to drift at your parking lot. Just look at how many people go to Sandia to drift. Personaly I would pay to drift if I knew it was in a safe enviornment without worries from attracting attention from the police.

So please give us a chance and bring legal drifting to El Paso!

ps. see you on the 6th!

Richard Dziak

--
    26 Nov 2008 12:21 AM

S13Frankie & DEvious and all the people interested in PDX:

Dear Interested PDX drivers:

I am Richard Dziak, the Pan Am Club Racing chairperson. If we can get enough cars, I may be able to set up a form of PDX out at ArroyoSecoRaceway. We have a contingent of Pan Am Formula racers who go out to ArroyoSeco on a regular basis. We have split sessions between open wheel and closed wheel cars. Perhaps I could set something up, that would give the interested parties several hours on a real road racing track, that is 1.6 miles in length or 1.2 miles in length your choice. The 1.6 mile setup has lots of fun turns, and a long straightaway.

It may be unlikely to have the PDX sponsored officially by the PanAm SCCA, but my own Formula Racing Ltd LLC may be able do this, and the profit proceeds would go the Pan Am Club racing Endowment. It is important to understand that the cost to hold a PDX out at Arroyo Seco would not be $10.00 or $20.00 per car. It would be more in the area of $100 to $125.00 per entry. Costs to secure the track and have the track owner secure insurance is not cheap. But you would get plenty of track time, on a real road racing circuit that is considered a safe track to test your skills in your cars. We can have a driving instructor, flagman, and have lots of fun. We could conduct a practice, and have some competition between the entries. These are a few thoughts, if you have a serious contingency of racers than it may be very doable set up sometime in January when weather conditions are cool and comfortable to be in a car. The requirements for safety measures would be helmets and everything out of the car. One person driving. Each driver would have to sign a release, releasing the track owner and the organizer from any liability for damaged or wrecked cars. But normally these events are lots of fun, they build friendships, and give the opportunites to race where you can't in the El Paso or Las Cruces area. So bring your ideas to the meeting or write to me directly.

Richard Dziak

sonewmexico@fastwave.biz

www.formularacingltd.com

Deviousjet

--
    26 Nov 2008 09:41 AM
    Thanks dave. We really want to get this done. As far as PDX I'm down for that since I can't really drift as it stands. Dave February seems a bit far. Is there a way that we can just show up somewhere and show you that we're interested?? I know that we start AutoX in January right??? We'd like to get this started as soon as possible.
    Lehrschall

--
    27 Nov 2008 01:20 AM

I'm convinced that you are interested. We won't have an autocross event before the end of February. (The weather is generally nice, but still too unpredictable). I'm okay with setting up a special meeting to talk, but I want to stress that the hurdles are not with getting local support. Dick and I have given you some ideas to start with. The biggest challenges will be with safety compliance, insurance, and approved sites. I'm really covered up at work right now and I will be traveling. I could meet with you in the middle of December or the middle of January.

Dave

driftiteasy0313

--
    01 Dec 2008 01:52 AM

hello,i am 100% for starting drifting events in el paso,we really do need a safe alternative to enjoy our passions for drifting.it really sucks getting busted by the cops for doing something you love and not having anywhere to do it legally.i will try to help out in any way.just let me know.i am from las cruces but i am completely for this.

thanks,

vince

DriftDamage

--
    01 Dec 2008 05:11 PM

Hi im Jonathan. I just wanted to show my support for the SCCA starting up drifting in El Paso.

I have been going to Sandia this year to drift and to Arroyo Seco. I can help with the layout of the event so that its a track good for beginners and practice for those that have been going to events. It would be nice if this got started locally. I believe there a quite a few who would be willing to help get this started.

If the SCCA is not able to start drift events, any help you can give to direct us in the correct way to get something started locally would be greatly appreciated.

Lehrschall

--
    04 Dec 2008 02:02 AM

I have forwarded the information I received from the SCCA to Kevin. The SCCA and a few regions have included drifting events. The SCCA is not against drifting events. There was more interest and activity a couple of years ago, but there is still some SCCA drifting activity, today. The next steps should be the preparation of a plan by your group that can be presented to our Pan Am Region. My suggestion is to make yourselves available to meet with Kevin once he has collected the event rules and requirements. With this information, your group should be able to prepare a plan.

Dave

Deviousjet

--
    04 Dec 2008 10:40 AM
    Lehrschall wrote:

I have forwarded the information I received from the SCCA to Kevin. The SCCA and a few regions have included drifting events. The SCCA is not against drifting events. There was more interest and activity a couple of years ago, but there is still some SCCA drifting activity, today. The next steps should be the preparation of a plan by your group that can be presented to our Pan Am Region. My suggestion is to make yourselves available to meet with Kevin once he has collected the event rules and requirements. With this information, your group should be able to prepare a plan.

Dave

+

Thanks for forwarding the info dave I'll move our meeting to February and present the idea then. With the new Counsel Members. Everyone will know what I know asap. I just have to get a couple of things going.

99mx5

--
    07 Dec 2008 06:55 PM
    DriftDamage wrote:

...If the SCCA is not able to start drift events, any help you can give to direct us in the correct way to get something started locally would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all! Its been a while!

That also applies to trackdays at ASR. If you just want to try racing on the track, there are regularly scheduled trackdays that you can attend.

More info can be found at http://www.arroyosecoraceway.com/

-Ari

Lehrschall

--
    16 Jan 2009 12:22 AM

The Pan Am Region and the SCCA have worked out a plan to support Drifting events here in El Paso. We will have our first (trial) event in late January or February. Watch our website for details.

Lehrschall

--
    31 Jan 2009 07:15 PM

Our first drifting event will be held on February 15th at Cohen stadium. Check out our website for detail. www.panamscca.org

Dave

Richard Dziak

--
    01 Feb 2009 10:45 AM
    The ad for the "drifting" program on the Pan Am website main page looks FANTASTIC...............................GREAT JOB!
    Deviousjet

--
    06 Feb 2009 03:12 PM
    Yes the front page looks fantastic guys! Big Thanks to Justin. Sorry I haven't been on here in a while kind of went into sleep mode. I finally got my car in so if I can get it running you will see me competing out there for sure. So far things look great. We have quite a few people that are committed to showing up and making drifting a usual event.We have been passing out flyers like crazy so we are getting the word out. I have a good feeling that we are going to have a lot of spectators though so I just wanted to give you guys a heads up so we can plan accordingly.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner