Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
snaponbob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
29 Nov 2008 02:21 PM
Patrick Washburn wrote:

Can be done, but towing anything that weighs almost as much as the tow vehicle = bad idea in my book and increases your chances of bad things happening eventually.

?????????????????

If you are referring only to the CR-V, maybe so. Otherwise, my Chevy van weighs about 4500 pounds, and it's towing capacity is a great deal more. The newer generation 1 ton pick ups have tow capacities over 5 tons.

p.s. minor hijack, what are you racing in 2009?

Patrick Washburn
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
30 Nov 2008 04:46 PM

Sorry...talking about with no brakes. I didn't know tow dolly's came with brakes. Additionally, a 1 ton truck is built for that stuff...not so sure about a CR-V.

OT - Dunno yet...too early to think about it! :)

first350
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
30 Nov 2008 08:53 PM
Patrick Washburn wrote:

Sorry...talking about with no brakes. I didn't know tow dolly's came with brakes. Additionally, a 1 ton truck is built for that stuff...not so sure about a CR-V.

OT - Dunno yet...too early to think about it! :)

The European CR-V's are spec'd with 2 different towing limits, w/ brake and w/o. (the US CR-V's only have a single towing limit that is much lower than either of the Euro limits...many of the Honda ppl think the difference is due to Honda's respective legal departments.

*I need to check what kind of electrical connections the CR-V is wired for...

Thanks for all the info guys - I'm still undecided whether or not I'll try towing...

David Lehman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
30 Nov 2008 10:52 PM

I think the best thing about towing with Dolly......

Is that when you get tired of driving you can use one of those giant melons as a pillow at a rest stop to get some much needed sleep.

Davard
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
09 Dec 2008 01:42 AM

When has a CRV been rated for 2500lbs towing? 

At least in this country?

I see that in the UK, the '06 CRV was rated to tow 1500kg, or 3300lbs, with the automatic, or 2000kg with the manual diesel.

Of course, looking at aftermarket hitches, Curt makes one rated at 3500lbs.

But if you have an accident, you could be held negligent if you exceed the manufacturers specs.

And your insurance might not cover the damages.

Just something to think about. 

Davard
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
09 Dec 2008 02:11 AM
first350 wrote:
Patrick Washburn wrote:

Sorry...talking about with no brakes.  I didn't know tow dolly's came with brakes.  Additionally, a 1 ton truck is built for that stuff...not so sure about a CR-V. 

OT - Dunno yet...too early to think about it!  :)

The European CR-V's are  spec'd with 2 different towing limits, w/ brake and w/o.  (the US CR-V's only have a single towing limit that is much lower than either of the Euro limits...many of the Honda ppl think the difference is due to Honda's respective legal departments.

*I need to check what kind of electrical connections the CR-V is wired for...

Thanks for all the info guys - I'm still undecided whether or not I'll try towing...

Didn't see this before typing my above response (which was about 5 hour from when I started to when I finished), but it looks like Honda already has a connector for trailer lights. [url=http://www.etrailer.com/pc-VWH~118336.htm?vehicleid=20067323]Here[/url] and [url=http://www.etrailer.com/pc-VWH~33105.htm?vehicleid=20067323]here[/url].  You'll need to run your own wires for trailer brakes.

first350
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
11 Dec 2008 02:17 PM

Yesterday I saw a tow truck towing a car (front wheels lifted on the tow trucks tongue/platform) and the rear wheels were sitting on a axle w/ wheels (total of 4 wheels), this rear portion wasn't attached to anything on the truck - the car's rear wheels were just tied down to it...I've been searching around, but I can't find anyone that sells the rear single axle portion.

This would effectively be like towing on a flatbed, but without the middle portion.

Thanks!

snaponbob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
11 Dec 2008 07:49 PM
first350 wrote:

Yesterday I saw a tow truck towing a car (front wheels lifted on the tow trucks tongue/platform) and the rear wheels were sitting on a axle w/ wheels (total of 4 wheels), this rear portion wasn't attached to anything on the truck - the car's rear wheels were just tied down to it...I've been searching around, but I can't find anyone that sells the rear single axle portion.

This would effectively be like towing on a flatbed, but without the middle portion.

Thanks!

WAAAAY back when I drove a wrecker. Those dollies are meant for short hauls. The tires are small, and on a long highway haul they will be spinning VERY fast for a LONG time. The tires won't be rated for those speeds and the bearings will cook. BAD plan for long trips, but may be viable for short (30-45 miles) hauls. Any company that supplies stuff to wrecker operators (it's Google time) can sell these things, but they won't be cheap.

Primetime Glick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
18 Dec 2008 09:55 AM
Windscreen wrote:
47CP wrote:

Trying to think through this with no transmission in front of me....the gears are always engaged with the countershaft, aren't they?

DaveW

Dave: in your illustration, when towing in neutral, all the gears are stationary. The yellow output shaft will be spinning inside the stationary gears, with rolling element bearings between the shaft OD and gear IDs. Most manual transmissions are splash lubricated, and depend on the countershaft (silver, here) to be turning in order to get oil to all the bearings.

Yes, the loads are low, since the trans isn't carrying any engine torque. Even then, all those roller bearings still need some replenishment of their lubricant, as they will continue to dry out as they spin around with no splash lube. It doesn't take much load to hurt a dry roller bearing. I've seen roller bearings get scored simply by drying them with compressed air and letting the bearing spin around on the race at high speed.

Here's a list of manufacturer approved cars for flat towing, which basically covers the discussion here about towing with drive wheels on the ground. List. Other than 4WD vehicles (presumably with a transfer case disconnect) there are very few longitudinal trans cars on that list. Of note are the Nissans, which say to idle the engine in neutral for several minutes every 500 miles. These are the manufacturer recommendations.

-Steve

Ugg. To save cash, space, and MPG for my tow vehicle/trailer combo I was considering a surge-brake dolly, and a v6 truck (with upgraded brakes) for my longitudinal-trans NISSAN. Key word WAS. I don't want to get involved in routinely disconnecting the driveshaft (never even done that before). I already figured backing up would be an issue.

But here's a dumb question. If you need to lubricate the gears which have been spinning, how does idling in NEUTRAL affect the transmission's lubrication... you're not connected!

Primetime Glick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
18 Dec 2008 10:11 AM
first350 wrote:

I have an '06 Honda CR-V that I'm planning to tow my STS2 Miata with...The CR-V has a relatively low towing capacity, so I'm thinking of getting a tow dolly (the other option would be an aluminum trailer...which is a bit too $$) - is there anything I should watch out for??

Standard stuff, trans temp gauge and cooler -- though I'd assume plumbing in the lines in the right place is a bit more complicated for a transaxle over a transmission. Maybe mimic the Odyssey Tow Package setup, that's the only TA equipped with an external cooler I've ever heard of.

If you don't want the extra expense and complexity of electric brakes (~$500 more for a dolly with 'em than without 'em) and a TBC, I would get SS brakes lines and extreme duty pads (i.e., Hawk Super Duty). Though that still may not be safe; the CRV has a pretty low weight-handling capacity, and those things are a bandaid for forgoing the elec. brakes.

Steve Hoelscher
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
18 Dec 2008 11:39 AM
Primetime Glick wrote:

But here's a dumb question. If you need to lubricate the gears which have been spinning, how does idling in NEUTRAL affect the transmission's lubrication... you're not connected!

Idling in neutral turns the input shaft, which turns the transfer gear, which turns the individual gears on the output shaft. Turning these gears circulates the oil from the transfer gear up and onto the output shaft.

TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
19 Dec 2008 09:23 AM

I have a dolly with e-brakes I'd love to get rid of on the west coast, top of the line Mastertow

tow the car in reverse (drive wheels up) and throw some rubber spacers in the front springs to provide clearance, I also installed low profile tires on the dolly to lower the tilt angle, several years of cross country towing, the one issue to consider on any tow rig is tongue weight and rear sag on the tow vehicle

another issue with towing rear first is you need to lock the front wheels straight, some cars i..e. Mazda, only lock at 180 deg steering wheel turned, I ran a small ratchet strap from the front seat leg, up around the steering wheel and back down to the other seat leg on my RX-8 to keep the steering straight.

JKOBD

--
01 Jan 2009 04:42 PM
I have been towing my 2450lb civic for many years now with my tow dolly. I have traveled many times from FL to OH to NJ with it and it does not have brakes. I am not certain about towing a RWD car, but as far as the CRV is concerned, you should not have any issues with the load you are pulling. Use common towing sense with stopping distance, etc. but it will tow it.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner