Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
mavisky

--
12 Dec 2008 12:29 PM

http://www.autoweek.com/article/200.../812119962

Really? Really?

You're going to bring back the Trans-Am series with it's tube frame chassis and cars built for the most part around vehicles that aren't even for sale anymore powered by big block carbureted v8's? Way to stick with the times. The Speed GT and Touring Car series are great and modern, but still costing an arm and a leg, so they decide to drag this dinosaur up from the dead as well? I'm betting with the cancellation of the Big 3 bailout plan that there won't be much in the way of manufacturer backing for these cars any longer. This decision honestly baffles me, and then to boot they schedule the opening race on the same weekend as the Sebring 12 hour race. Good marketing decision there guys.

Weasel Keeper

--
    13 Dec 2008 10:19 PM
    The article mentions the cars will be GT1. There is a "historic" Trans Am series that runs all the cars from the late 60s and 70s.
    mavisky

--
    15 Dec 2008 08:50 AM
    That's my point. The Historic races would at least have a reason to be running cars of antiquated technology. Trust me I'd buy tickets to watch Boss 302's and Z/28's deuling it out around the racetrack like they did back in the late 60's. Tube frame wannabe nascar chassis and fiberglass Jaguar and Camaro bodies? No thanks.
    Weasel Keeper

--
    15 Dec 2008 05:16 PM
    Ahhh, gotcha! And I agree.
    srs007

--
    16 Dec 2008 01:31 PM

Humm...let's try to think of another racing series that uses a lot of really old tech to keep costs down...let's see...oh yes, NASCAR...no fuel injection, no ABS, no traction control, etc...looks like they will be out of business soon too... :P

oh well, personally, it's more about the racing then what is being raced...watching how a driver sets up another driver for a pass...their style of getting through corners...how well they can hit their marks every time...but, I am in the minority...most of the eyeballs go to the series with the best wrecks...Speed Touring is the NASCAR of road racing in that regard...I can't remember a single race that didn't have some contact into the first corner at the start of a race...i hate flagging their races...

talk to people that truely enjoy flagging corners at a road race and everyone one of them will say a good day is one that you don't have incident at your corner.

as to Trans-Am coming back, I hope they find a way to get the eyeballs, but I doubt it will happen...

just my two cents...

Bigblockbandit

--
    16 Dec 2008 02:18 PM
    I agree, doing that is an attempt to cash in on the growth Nascar has enjoyed recently. Being a vintage car owner/driver i do see the attraction for small team guys with the money and limited desire to go tech, remember the guys who owner/race are usually 40ish, having just gotten to that group I would be turned off a bit more by a high tech approach.
    GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    26 Dec 2008 12:18 AM
    srs007 wrote:

Humm...let's try to think of another racing series that uses a lot of really old tech to keep costs down...let's see...oh yes, NASCAR...no fuel injection, no ABS, no traction control, etc...looks like they will be out of business soon too... :P

oh well, personally, it's more about the racing then what is being raced...watching how a driver sets up another driver for a pass...their style of getting through corners...how well they can hit their marks every time...but, I am in the minority...most of the eyeballs go to the series with the best wrecks...Speed Touring is the NASCAR of road racing in that regard...I can't remember a single race that didn't have some contact into the first corner at the start of a race...i hate flagging their races...

talk to people that truely enjoy flagging corners at a road race and everyone one of them will say a good day is one that you don't have incident at your corner.

as to Trans-Am coming back, I hope they find a way to get the eyeballs, but I doubt it will happen...

just my two cents...

Why would you bring crashing cars into this thread? Also, what makes you think that a bunch of amateurs with too much money driving 10yr old tube frame race cars is going to be good racing?

So the little three are suffering but haven't they all started building cars that would be perfect for a production based series like the old Trans Am? Here's my issue. These jokers are going to further devalue the Trans Am "Brand". If they keep their "new" series alive with their silhouette DeTomasos, 90's Mistangs and Jags, they have tied up the Trans Am name when what could be a very cool, fun to watch production based series called Trans Am with the new Mustang, Camaro and Challenger competing once the little three become the Big Three, uh, or Big Two or whatever they possibly survive as.

I really wish I would have seen this crazy idea go out for member feedback. I certainly would have written a letter against it.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner