Looking for feedback on new Trans-Am Series
 8 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
mowog

--
13 Dec 2008 01:23 PM

Sorry for the troll/spam posting but I wrote an opinion column on the new Trans-Am Series.

I feel that while it is good to see TA back I think that they missed the mark by limiting the series to GT1 only.

See the link below.

http://theracesite.com/index.cfm?te...g_id=16264

I will look for feedback here or via e-mail at

jimbourn (at) theracesite.com

Thanks in advance

TeamWheels

--
    17 Dec 2008 10:29 AM
    Very well written article. I certainly agree with your points. I think GT-1 is the headline race that gets people excited and I think adding just one or two additional classes fills out the field and makes the racing more exciting. As a GT3 Cup driver I would love to have that opportunity.
    Mrsideways
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    17 Dec 2008 11:28 AM

Some Opinions available in the other thread about T/A.....

http://sccaforums.com/forums/1/3370...spx#337062

Shortcutsleeping

--
    17 Dec 2008 05:54 PM

I liked the article also, but don't want to see it go overboard adding classes. I think the Grand-Am Rolex series has spoiled me a bit and I think that two classes make it nice and easy to follow. I feel ALMS has too many classes. I can see adding in GT2 cars (which brings in the gt3 cup cars), but the differential to T1 (radial slicks vs DOT Rs) is a good sized step.

Two classes and keep it simple.

mowog

--
    18 Dec 2008 01:20 PM

I agree that having too many classes would be an issue. One of my points was that it would be reasonably easy, even on the same weekend, for a GT3 car to be made reasonably competitive with a GT2 by taking out balast and such. To be honest I am not familiar enough with the rules packages of the GT 2 and 3 classes to give specific examples but using Black as a guide it sure seems possible to compete in both.

As far as the T1 cars go I wouldn't allow much in terms of rules changes, like changing over to slicks, because that would put too much pressure on the teams to make a lot of car changes and present too many issues for tech. But again I would lump all of the non-GT1 cars into a single class at the start just to get the series going.

Thanks for the responses.

mowog

--
    18 Dec 2008 01:31 PM

I know that the Muscle Milk Trans-Am Series release presented a GT1 only approach I get the sense that they might be receptive to this concept particularly if they got positive inquires from existing GT2 and GT3 drivers and teams. I really think that for the long term the Series is omre interested in a single class but the people involved are very fervently interested in making this series fly.

Given that I would suggest that you contact someone like Eric Prill to mention your interest. Sorry Eric. I don't think it would hurt to take a pro-active approach and push for inclusion IF there was interest from teams outside of GT1. All they can say is no.

1995cobraR

--
    18 Dec 2008 02:26 PM

I'd agree that they should use a few different GT classes.

I find it curious that SCCA could not get enough support in good economic times but can now get support for this historic series.

tonyave

--
    19 Dec 2008 09:21 PM

My original vision was Trans-Am Categories 1, 2, and 3 running together, as three separate classes. We are still on track to give that a chance, however when we are dealing with so many variables, the club, the schedules, a series sponsor, other financial backers, it is a little more complicated than that, so have patience. As far as classes beyond that, very unlikely, if I have anything to say about it, as T1 and others don't fit with what we are doing. Show up at Atlanta in March and you will see car counts are not going to be an issue. Think sprint car racing on a road course, lots of HP in purpose built race cars that are loud, fast, and occasionally trade some paint. That is what we are doing. The series will work because the competitors are behind it, the manufacturers are not, at least not financially. If they want me to race the cars they sell, they can subsidize it. If I am spending my own money, I am not going to race a warmed over street car. If I have to explain why that is a good thing, I'll start another thread. If you want high tech, factory teams, watch ALMS, they do it well enough so that no one else needs to. The new camaro, mustang, and challenger are very cool, and you will see those bodies built to adapt to our GT-1 cars eventually. But that's it. It is not our job to sell cars for the big three, it is however, my job to sell the cars I build, which are tube-frame GT-1 cars, same goes for Jim Derhaag, Rocketsports, and others. If you want to see production based cars, watch World Challenge, they have a great cross section of manufacturers there. No laptops, more mechanics holding wrenches than engineers holding micrometers, and lots of noise!!!

Tony

sandrajolly

--
    29 Mar 2012 12:32 AM

I really enjoyed reading what you had to say. This is really a great stuff.

I think you have lots of good ideas.Waiting to read your next informative post!! :)

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner