Kart class options
 12 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Bigblockbandit

--
15 Dec 2008 08:16 AM

My oldest son really wants to go racing with me. He is 12 now and I think he is ready to start learning. The question is, I picked up a gokart from a local track that was closing down. Its a nascar bodied enclosed kart with a 9hp honda. Not fast, heavy and very safe. My question is, can he run it at our events in experimental or something just to get some driving time in? I realize its not what was intended for the kids cart class but i really dont want to purchase something else right now.

looking for options

Sean

Peppler33CS
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Dec 2008 08:12 PM
    I know there a lot of rules regarding safety for kids karts, first with having a youth stewart chief that is up on all the rules. Bring it up to the board meeting.
    wrheadle

--
    15 Dec 2008 09:22 PM

2 classes, don't know the rules or difference. Look up formula junior, I think it is A and B.

Bill

Bigblockbandit

--
    16 Dec 2008 07:42 AM
    I read through the formula rules last winter and it appears that the cart we have does not meet the class definitions motor etc... That is why I was looking for other options. I may have to break down and decide to pick up a kart that will be formula legal and usable at some area tracks for the boys.
    wrheadle

--
    16 Dec 2008 05:41 PM

Bigblockbandit wrote:
    I read through the formula rules last winter and it appears that the cart we have does not meet the class definitions motor etc... That is why I was looking for other options. I may have to break down and decide to pick up a kart that will be formula legal and usable at some area tracks for the boys.

Make sure you meet the safety requirements and then run the closest class (probably for the age). If soeone else shows up in that class, we can make an adjustment then.

Bill

RonConrad
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Dec 2008 09:16 AM
    In the past fwr has allowed JA Grand Prix karts as a class. I wouldn't recommend "fun" karts. Check out 4cycle.com for used karts, or consider a 2 cycle 100cc if he wants to go fast.
    OneEyeMedia

--
    19 Dec 2008 08:25 AM

Local Indy guy getting rid of a Kart...

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/337511.aspx link to the thread....

Bigblockbandit

--
    10 Jun 2009 04:14 PM
    ok, finally bit the bullet and picked up a birel AR-28 100cc yamaha cart that is legal for JRA class scca competition. I want to run it in a few events this year with Beau. I e-mailed Rainer about it, who else should I start talking with so I can get things properly arranged for an event? I know there are some saftey issues with grid and a minor card or waiver to get and I dont want to add last min stress to an event by signing up and not having things worked out.
    OneEyeMedia

--
    10 Jun 2009 04:28 PM

Bigblockbandit wrote:
    ok, finally bit the bullet and picked up a birel AR-28 100cc yamaha cart that is legal for JRA class scca competition. I want to run it in a few events this year with Beau. I e-mailed Rainer about it, who else should I start talking with so I can get things properly arranged for an event? I know there are some saftey issues with grid and a minor card or waiver to get and I dont want to add last min stress to an event by signing up and not having things worked out.

I would also contact Steve Kammeyer (Re of our Region. He has a list of contacts as well that can make sure the right people are in the know and can get you the info you need to.. Contacting Rainer was also the right step!

stevekammeyer@excite.com

Also,

Marylin and George Russell have been in the sport long enough to know what you need. Marylin does Registration, she would be key for many of your questions.

msrussell3@comcast.net

Hope that helps!

Cheers

brgmcs

--
    10 Jun 2009 10:12 PM

As an fyi, Indy Region is running at Grissom this Sunday and will have FJA and FJB kids running (unless something unexpected happens to our karts or the weather). We've had kids running FJB in Indy and CSCC about 4 years. Those kids are now 12 and just moved to FJA, though we're still using the same 5-6hp Briggs engine. Also have an 8yr old that's run a couple of events in FJB that will be there. We're serious about the safety side of things but not super competitive so you're son should feel very comfortable even as a novice. Pre-registration (no money paid at the time) at myautoevents.com saves some bucks. See the Indy region web site for more info. indyscca.org

Bigblockbandit

--
    11 Jun 2009 08:01 AM

appreciate the invinte, but baseball season wont be over yet so we cant make it till the june 21st event. Ive got to get some saftey equipment bought for them and hope to try it out at the coliseum event. we will see.

Ill get ahold of marlyn as well I think se issued the boys the id cards last time.

Sean

Bigblockbandit

--
    16 Jun 2009 02:50 PM

Hey scott,

do you know who the youth steward for the indy region is? I would sure like to talk with him.

Sean

brgmcs

--
    16 Jun 2009 08:32 PM

Steve Linn. Contact info is on their web site. I just sent you (and Steve) an email.

Scott

90SM

You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner