36 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
fwsolo09

--
07 Jan 2009 08:36 PM

The first Solo Meeting of '09 is scheduled for Sunday January 18th at 2:00pm at J.A. We will be putting together the solo schedule for 2009, along with discussions on locations, challenge events, and new ideas moving foward. Come out and be apart of this years solo program early. If you are unable to attend you can still contact me with constructive suggestions at fwsolo09@aol.com

Hope to see you there.

Rainer Helmchen

FWR '09 Solo Director

Peppler33CS
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    07 Jan 2009 11:04 PM

Rainer good to hear from you!! I first want to say thanks for volunteering to be solo director this year!! We seem to go through solo directors fairly quickly (which probably every region goes through), so be sure to ask for help from your fellow club members/participants.

Anyways, thanks for the heads up on the meeting. Even though it is the offseason, I believe we will need input and help from people to get things going before the beginning of the season. If someone says "well I'll get involved whenever the season starts...” this is the chance to help steer the club in the right direction with your input now rather then speaking up 4 months from now.

See you Sunday!

SpeedTeacher

--
    08 Jan 2009 02:15 AM

Rainer,

I won't be able to attend the meeting, but I would like to help out this year as much as possible. I am actually planning on sending a lot of new people to SCCA autocrosses. Let me know how I can best help.

Thanks for taking the lead on the Solo Program. You have always helped unselfishly, but stayed in the background. Its time for us to pay you back for all that help.

Todd J.

OneEyeMedia

--
    08 Jan 2009 09:36 AM

I will be there with my note pad! Ready to Brain Storm :P

Looking forward to the new season and hope to see some more meetings through out the year. It might go slow at first with them; but once things get rolling and we keep them going - We can only become better!

See you in a few Sundays!

Cheers,

JPM

Peppler33CS
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Jan 2009 11:09 PM
    reminder bump
    OneEyeMedia

--
    18 Jan 2009 12:45 AM

Peppler33CS wrote:
    reminder bump

for realz...

and lets have our ducks in a row so we can get back for the play off games! :P LOL :P

JPM

bmonnin1
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Jan 2009 05:48 PM
    Rainer, sorry I couldn't make the meeting but with the weather around here it wasn't a good idea to do a 80 to 90 mile drive to Fort Wayne. Let me know if you guys and/or gals came up with any good ideas. Also did you guys discuss the idea I gave you? I emailed the DSSS and as long as the site is lit up enough there should be no problems running a night event. He may want to look at the site to confirm the lighting is good enough but other then that should be OK.
    GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 Jan 2009 11:13 PM

Good to see you guys moving forward with your 2009 season. It seems from an outsiders point of view that your Solo program does well in spite of your no longer roadracing Board of Directors and their old school non roadracing cronies. If they would step aside and really let you guys do your thing, I'm certain you would have one of the best regions in the country. All IMO, of course. [;)]

Some of us Indy guys will come up to support you at a few events. We look forward to running against you guys.

wrheadle

--
    20 Jan 2009 09:36 PM
    GChambers wrote:

Good to see you guys moving forward with your 2009 season. It seems from an outsiders point of view that your Solo program does well in spite of your no longer roadracing Board of Directors and their old school non roadracing cronies. If they would step aside and really let you guys do your thing, I'm certain you would have one of the best regions in the country. All IMO, of course. [;)]

It is not an issue of "the cronies" stepping aside, it is an issue of "the non-cronies" stepping up. None of the borad positions were opposed this year, one is even vacant, and some positions were only re-elected becasue no one else wanted the job. The incumbant had requested to step down and there was no other party willing to step up, so the incumbant reluctantly agreed to continue for another year.

There are those who may bring up the election for 2008 board as a counter point, and we can head down that path if necessary, but I think it stands more of an example of how not to run for club office, rather than taking a position of inclusion.

The board supports the Solo program fully, wants it to succeed, knowing that is the prime path for recruitement and involvement.

OneEyeMedia

--
    20 Jan 2009 11:25 PM

And to add...

Solo and Street Survival are the only two main events being held in the FWR at this time. So, the board is fully supportive of the Solo program. Matter fact - four of us board members were at the last solo meeting. How many other solo members came to the meeting? 3... 3 solo members came to the meeting....

People cannot make a change or support their club if they do not come to meetings and help support it in the beginning. It also needs the support from its members. 1st solo meeting had a small turn out and hopefully more will come out to the next ones - it is truly one way the club can grow and get better. Ideas and a voice of support, not sitting back and complaining. [not saying you were complaining BRO :o) ]

The last solo director got discouraged when now one showed up; but those same people that did not show up were the ones that complained the most.

Complaining never gets people or the club anywhere...

As for the meeting: It was a pretty good meeting and some good ideas for dates were discussed. I see Rainer really does have a passion for the Solo Position and look forward to his next meeting and first event! GOOD JOB RAINER! :O)

BTW: I do understand coming to meetings are hard sometimes with family and I do not look at or think badly if people cannot come to them. But those that complain about the solo program and that have ideas, you really should express you ideas and thoughts at our monthly meetings. Thien your voice is heard to all of the board members and allows for comments and discussion.

(Food for thought)

bmonnin1
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 Jan 2009 08:30 AM
    JPMRacing26 wrote:

And to add...

Solo and Street Survival are the only two main events being held in the FWR at this time. So, the board is fully supportive of the Solo program. Matter fact - four of us board members were at the last solo meeting. How many other solo members came to the meeting? 3... 3 solo members came to the meeting....

People cannot make a change or support their club if they do not come to meetings and help support it in the beginning. It also needs the support from its members. 1st solo meeting had a small turn out and hopefully more will come out to the next ones - it is truly one way the club can grow and get better. Ideas and a voice of support, not sitting back and complaining. [not saying you were complaining BRO :o) ]

The last solo director got discouraged when now one showed up; but those same people that did not show up were the ones that complained the most.

Complaining never gets people or the club anywhere...

As for the meeting: It was a pretty good meeting and some good ideas for dates were discussed. I see Rainer really does have a passion for the Solo Position and look forward to his next meeting and first event! GOOD JOB RAINER! :O)

BTW: I do understand coming to meetings are hard sometimes with family and I do not look at or think badly if people cannot come to them. But those that complain about the solo program and that have ideas, you really should express you ideas and thoughts at our monthly meetings. Thien your voice is heard to all of the board members and allows for comments and discussion.

(Food for thought)

I agree with you Jason. More people that are Fort Wayne members and have a passion for Solo should be at the meeting. I had every intention of going to the meeting until I woke up to several new inches of snow that morning and with the road crews around where I live trying to conserve salt it was not safe to drive that far. For those of you who do not know I actually live in the Western Ohio Region area now but since Western Ohio's Solo program is not doing well at the moment and I started with Fort Wayne I have never changed my region. To many good people up that way. I did send an idea to Rainer before the meeting in case I couldn't make it and I will take the time at the Awards banquet to get caught up with what is going on. I probably will even volunteer to be an event master again. I am planning to do all this and I live 80 or more miles away from Fort Wayne, on a good day it takes me 1 1/2 hours to get there. If I am willing to do this I can't seem to understand more people that live in Fort Wayne can't. SCCA is an organization of volunteers and for it to work and for everyone to have fun and the ability to pursue your passion you have to volunteer, even if it is just as small as coming to a meeting and putting your two cents worth in.

BTW: As fun as my "double cross" course was last year I am sure I can come up with a completely different and fun course this year.

KBroeker

--
    22 Jan 2009 08:45 AM

Peeps-

On a personal note, I am sorry I did not come and give my $0.02 worth. But, I also felt that coming in with ideas that I cannot help support/implement might be a little unfair.

I will not be able to participate in Solo this season, although I might come to spectate as time allows. I am in a relocation situation and I will either have my house on the market or will have moved (to Indy area) this Summer. Showing our house involves vacating my daughters and my 80-something Mother-in-Law our while the house is viewed. My wife works weekends and I want to be able to show the house whenever someone is interested, so I need to be available on weekends.

I wish all with the FWR SCCA continued success.

VerizonGuy

--
    22 Jan 2009 10:24 AM

This is going into my second season (year?) of soloing. I would have to say that my first years was great. I couldn't make every event but so is life! The only thing I have heard about our region is great things! One event I was with some Indy folk and they had a blast. Rainer I would say has his work cut out for him!

The only thing I want to know is the proposed schedule, that is what I'm looking for [au]

bmonnin1
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Feb 2009 11:54 AM

Rainer,

Are you planning to do another solo meeting sometime soon. I have plans to be in the area on Feb. 14th and maybe the 15th so if you are planning to do a meeting that weekend I can make it.

Andy Ucter

--
    03 Feb 2009 12:41 PM

wrheadle wrote:
    There are those who may bring up the election for 2008 board as a counter point, and we can head down that path if necessary, but I think it stands more of an example of how not to run for club office, rather than taking a position of inclusion.

+1000 I totally agree. and bringing it up would be a moot point...

however.... a hybrid board between what we had, and a few of those who ran, would have been better for the club.

wrheadle wrote:
    The board supports the Solo program fully, wants it to succeed, knowing that is the prime path for recruitement and involvement.

I concur whole-heartedly...

wrheadle

--
    03 Feb 2009 06:27 PM
    Andy Ucter wrote:

however.... a hybrid board between what we had, and a few of those who ran, would have been better for the club.

No one else ran... We try not to nominate those who are not present at the meeting unless we already know they are interested. We have the board we have because no one ran (or even expressed an interest to run) against incumbants that were re-elected. I would have galdly stepped aside if someone else was interested. Others would have as well.

A number of the people who ran for '08 board and were not elected are no longer members of Fort Wayne Region and are not eligible for '09 Board.

Andy Ucter

--
    04 Feb 2009 09:21 AM

wrheadle wrote:
    A number of the people who ran for '08 board and were not elected are no longer members of Fort Wayne Region and are not eligible for '09 Board.
    I wonder why... /hiJack..

anywho.. back to the real topic..

I'll gladly help with whatever, if the new cronies have the fore-sight to ask.

wrheadle

--
    04 Feb 2009 04:37 PM
    Andy Ucter wrote:

I wonder why...

You would have to ask them. It was voluntary and I am happy that some have returned. I hope the rest come back as well.

VerizonGuy

--
    04 Feb 2009 05:59 PM

At the Verizon events I maybe able to get us free wifi. I know some of the IT guys there. I just need a little lead time to set it up!

flogger

--
    15 Feb 2009 12:19 AM

OK, here's a wild idea.... How about a live feed webcast of events at Verizon? I'm picturing a simple single camera shot of the last sections of the course with the timer display in the frame and the announcer's voice included in the audio. Would something like this be beneficial to the Region? Could it be a useful recruiting tool if we promoted it right? Would Verizon recognize that they'd get some well targeted promotion for nearly zero cost out of it?

Sorry if I made too big of a leap off of your comment of "may be able to get us free wifi." It just got me thinking...

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner