Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
OneEyeMedia

--
15 Feb 2009 08:39 AM
flogger wrote:

OK, here's a wild idea.... How about a live feed webcast of events at Verizon? I'm picturing a simple single camera shot of the last sections of the course with the timer display in the frame and the announcer's voice included in the audio. Would something like this be beneficial to the Region? Could it be a useful recruiting tool if we promoted it right? Would Verizon recognize that they'd get some well targeted promotion for nearly zero cost out of it?

Sorry if I made too big of a leap off of your comment of "may be able to get us free wifi." It just got me thinking...

My opinion:

I like the idea, I have also thought about even past that. Having wireless cameras on the car inside/outside and have it wifi to a desk top computer hooked up to a 37-50" LCD screen over by a section where participants and spectators can view it without being in grid and a possible in the way factor. Verizon could (if wanting to) have a ticker with their latest specials on the bottom and a logo on there somewhere. I usually travel with a bunch of my mates and this was something I always thought would be cool in a paddock place or maybe next to the food vendor.

Excellent idea bro and thanks for bring it up. Should make for some nice talks...

KBroeker

--
15 Feb 2009 10:15 AM

I agree that it is an excellent idea, both of them. I am in no way sayig that the following issues are show stoppers, just to be considered.

The announcer will probably need to be "family friendly". If we could get Raleigh Boreen in to anounce, it would be awesome.

I know I have heard horror stories about insurace companies either denying coverage or denying cliams if it looks like someone is "racing" their car. We have not been particularly careful in posting photos thay may include licence plates that are readible, but some people might be more sensitive about this issue in a webcast situation.

I am pretty sure there are no "legal" reasons not to do this (that is to say that I do not think a webcast makes it a "spectator event").

Once again, not show stoppers in my mind, but to be considered.

A slightly different idea: I do not have a wireless internet card in my laptop, but probably there are people in the region that do. I do not know if there is bandwidth to transmit to the internet from one of those, but if there is, the Coliseum event may be a nice one to do that with. If someone was really geeked about it, you cold have multiple shots (roof of coliseum, finishline, timer, etc) linked through a wireless LAN (you know, the 802.11 b/g type that come with most laptops) with someone switching cameras on the fly. Then again, maybe I have had too much coffee this morning...

VerizonGuy

--
15 Feb 2009 11:48 PM

Yep, I think it is something very possible for us to do. I'm not sure of what bandwidth we would have but it could very well be 10 down and 5 up package. The other stuff I'm not to sure about.

Our routers are g but if someone has an a/b/g/n router it would be fully compatable to our network. I do have a webcam and a spare laptop to put in my car to test out if need be. I can get the cam in for March and have one of the tech guys inspect it. I want to make sure it is safe to run where we want to put it.

Live streaming is out of my knowledge base! As far as that goes it should go to the board for approval. Maybe we just do a "news" clip to send to the TV stations and put out on the web.

Any thoughts?

KBroeker

--
16 Feb 2009 05:41 PM
In car might be tough if you do not have a wireless camera. In general, us Safety Stewards frown at loose laptops flying around inside a car during a run. If it was securely mounted it would be OK, though...
Mazda3

--
16 Feb 2009 09:40 PM
wrheadle wrote:
GChambers wrote:

Good to see you guys moving forward with your 2009 season. It seems from an outsiders point of view that your Solo program does well in spite of your no longer roadracing Board of Directors and their old school non roadracing cronies. If they would step aside and really let you guys do your thing, I'm certain you would have one of the best regions in the country. All IMO, of course. [;)]

It is not an issue of "the cronies" stepping aside, it is an issue of "the non-cronies" stepping up. None of the borad positions were opposed this year, one is even vacant, and some positions were only re-elected becasue no one else wanted the job. The incumbant had requested to step down and there was no other party willing to step up, so the incumbant reluctantly agreed to continue for another year.

There are those who may bring up the election for 2008 board as a counter point, and we can head down that path if necessary, but I think it stands more of an example of how not to run for club office, rather than taking a position of inclusion.

The board supports the Solo program fully, wants it to succeed, knowing that is the prime path for recruitement and involvement.

As quoted from the Drift, January 2009 article by Larry Dent. . .

“GRAYING OF THE MEMBERS”. We are not attracting and keeping the new, young and energetic people we need to continue to be the premier sports car club

in America. If we do not work to attract and KEEP young people active and happy in our club we will lose by default. New members are the gold of the club. They need to be welcomed, mentored, and tutored, so they can replace the silver haired folks like me when our canes, walkers and wheel chairs will no longer get us to the action.”

I have never read such a hypocritical statement in my life! I was once one of those new, young, energetic people Larry is talking about, and look at what happened to me. I became very active in the Solo Program and ran registration for 3 years. In 2006, I won the Solo Directors Award and the Solo Cup. I then decided it was time to set up and become the Solo Director for the 2007 season. Ron Conrad said I was the best Solo Director that we have had in years, and I know most of you respect Ron’s opinions. I was on top of the world and loved every minute of it, but I wanted more. I welcomed the chance to help direct this club further by running for the Asst RE position, but was shot down cold. There were a lot of misunderstandings that happened during that election, and I am sorry that they did, but if they say they want the young and energetic people involved, then why didn’t some of the “silver haired folks” not step down and let us help direct this club??

Although my local membership dollars now go to the Indy Region, I am still an SCCA member and plan to be heavily involved in the Solo Program and Street Survival this year and for many years to come. We all need to work together to make this club the best it can be.

RonConrad
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
16 Feb 2009 09:59 PM

I was not surprized when the 2009 election ran with every position unapposed. Wish you guys in Fort Wayne good luck.

Welcome to Indy Region Tom...hope you sign up for the National Tour!

Life in Bloomington is good, but don't ask me about Friday the 13th.

VerizonGuy

--
16 Feb 2009 11:38 PM

I've been thinking about the wireless cam idea. My concern would be the signal strength as the car goes through the course. If it looses connection I dont think the default software will pickit backup. Though with a laptop in the car we can have the storage right there. The spare tire well I think is a good place to secure it. I suppose the best way is to test both. Anybody have a wireless cam they are not using?

[^o)]

SpeedTeacher

--
17 Feb 2009 12:26 AM

I have a wireless camera available to loan, if it helps the cause. I'm not sure how good it is, but I don't really use it like I thought I was going to.

Todd J.

wrheadle

--
17 Feb 2009 07:12 AM
Mazda3 wrote:

I welcomed the chance to help direct this club further by running for the Asst RE position, but was shot down cold. There were a lot of misunderstandings that happened during that election, and I am sorry that they did, but if they say they want the young and energetic people involved, then why didn’t some of the “silver haired folks” not step down and let us help direct this club??

Tom-

I think you hit the nail on the head in your own statement. There were rumors going around leading up to the election that a group of "Solo folks" was going to take over the board and do what they wanted. I think that created a very negative imperssion, and by that point, it didn't matter if it was true or not. The seed of mistrust had been planted and was getting all of the fertilizer it needed. Your experience (and the others who ran, win or lose) was a result of fear. People didn't know if the rumors were true or not. Yes, there were very unfortunate acts by several people that left a bad taste in a lot of mouths, mine included.

Please don't take that election and the emotion surrounding it as an attack on you. Should you be willing to come back, I will vacate my board position and nominate you as the successor for 2010. I want the division that resulted from the events of late 2007 behind us and I am willing to take steps to promote that end.

Bill

Andy Ucter

--
17 Feb 2009 07:56 AM
wrheadle wrote:
I want the division that resulted from the events of late 2007 behind us and I am willing to take steps to promote that end.

Bill

+ eleventy...

But I don't see it happening... although I'm not the youngest... I am, by far, the most enthusiastic. The unfortunate thing is that my enthusiasm, drive, gung-ho, attitude is often misunderstood, or misconstrued.

Their Loss, Not Mine.

Sure these "solo people" wanted to get in.. and run things... their way.. with enthusiasm... That's it...

But instead of the "silver-haired" people asking for specifics, or platforms, etc,... they acted like third graders..

I'm still beside myself.. at the actions of some, more over some of the things, that I know happened, against me, and against FWR policy, even just this season.

that being said. I owe everyone who has stood up for me a debt of gratitude, and hope that everyone of those people know,(although they should remain anonymous) I would do the same for them.. ...

I am a bit eccentric.. and due to things in my past, a bit hard to handle, at times... (okay, most of the time)

Tom, I agree with you, when I read that quote... you posted... I was shocked. had to get up.. and walk around a bit.

all these subject related posts...is one huge thread jack.. which quite honestly... should be edited OUT... should not be public..

the only way to fix this.. is for a "side" to concede, and discuss and resolve the issues at hand.

my last comment is this...

This season, I will be spending all my free time on track, I'll work toward TT track records, get my competition Licence, and do at least one endurance race.. (Along with my normal crazy amount of autoX)

You've all seen me do my best to help n00bs..

If I am lucky enough to become OLD and GREY... And I see a young person with 1/2 my enthusiasm.... you bet.. sure as HELL.. I'd do everything in my power to foster his success.... NOT attempt stifle it.

Respectfully,

Chuck McMillion

Mazda3

--
17 Feb 2009 01:42 PM
Ok Ron, I'll bite. What happened on Friday the 13th?
OneEyeMedia

--
17 Feb 2009 01:54 PM

for the ideas of making it fun and since Chuck is right about the thread jack! Here is a link to a new thread for the ideas and that.

http://sccaforums.com/forums/345894...spx#345894

Sorry Rainer, I was a bad boy :P

I hope things are going good with dates and sites!

Mazda3

--
17 Feb 2009 03:13 PM
wrheadle wrote:
Mazda3 wrote:

I welcomed the chance to help direct this club further by running for the Asst RE position, but was shot down cold. There were a lot of misunderstandings that happened during that election, and I am sorry that they did, but if they say they want the young and energetic people involved, then why didn’t some of the “silver haired folks” not step down and let us help direct this club??

Tom-

I think you hit the nail on the head in your own statement. There were rumors going around leading up to the election that a group of "Solo folks" was going to take over the board and do what they wanted. I think that created a very negative imperssion, and by that point, it didn't matter if it was true or not. The seed of mistrust had been planted and was getting all of the fertilizer it needed. Your experience (and the others who ran, win or lose) was a result of fear. People didn't know if the rumors were true or not. Yes, there were very unfortunate acts by several people that left a bad taste in a lot of mouths, mine included.

Please don't take that election and the emotion surrounding it as an attack on you. Should you be willing to come back, I will vacate my board position and nominate you as the successor for 2010. I want the division that resulted from the events of late 2007 behind us and I am willing to take steps to promote that end.

Bill

Bill,

There was no "take over" planned. We just felt that the board needed a little more diversification between those interested in solo, and those interested in race. That is all.

I would never expect you to vacate your board position for me. Nor do I think I am ready to come back, or that the current/future board would even welcome me back. I will see how things go this year, and what direction I am going in late 2009.

Becky and I have been tossing around the idea of relocating to Florida, and just had to pass up on a job opportunity that would have taken us to Jacksonville, FL. For now we are staying, but by this time next year, depending on the state of the economy, we may very well be living in Florida. We shall see.

wrheadle

--
17 Feb 2009 04:47 PM
Mazda3 wrote:

There was no "take over" planned. We just felt that the board needed a little more diversification between those interested in solo, and those interested in race. That is all.

I can now understand what happened and why it polarized the club. Thanks Tom, I was missing that linkage.

Mazda3 wrote:

I would never expect you to vacate your board position for me. Nor do I think I am ready to come back, or that the current/future board would even welcome me back. I will see how things go this year, and what direction I am going in late 2009.

Current and future board would welcome you back. Motivated people who have the club's best interest in mind are and always will be a benefit to the club.

Mazda3 wrote:

Becky and I have been tossing around the idea of relocating to Florida, and just had to pass up on a job opportunity that would have taken us to Jacksonville, FL. For now we are staying, but by this time next year, depending on the state of the economy, we may very well be living in Florida. We shall see.

Go for it. I know you like it down there and I think the start of the recovery is a good time to relocate to the hardest hit areas. Housing will be in a rebound and that bodes well for equity appreciation.

wrheadle

--
17 Feb 2009 04:55 PM
Andy Ucter wrote:

the only way to fix this.. is for a "side" to concede, and discuss and resolve the issues at hand.

I think, honestly, both sides are going to have to concede things could have been done better (and I think it is the truth) and meet in the middle. I think both sides misunderstood the other and it got out of hand before anyone could set things straight (and I saw attempts on both sides to do just that go unheard and misunderstood).

More importantly, we, as a club, all of us, need to bury the hatchet. So long as one person still wields distaste for another, the problem will fester.

SpeedTeacher

--
17 Feb 2009 11:26 PM

Bill,

You have always been a great ambassador for the club and have consistently been the voice of reason. I know personally, I have always appreciated that. When I was Solo Director, the RE at the time treated me like gold. I was pretty good at some aspects of the role, and pretty bad at others, but Jim was always very understanding and reassured me in times of struggle.

As an observer to the fiasco of the 2007 election, more than anything I was sad. My son's mother and I have a pretty strong commitment that our son comes first, before our petty differences. If my son is happy, then I am happy. I think members should put the club's needs first and if the club is happy (ie: membership as a whole), then everyone should be happy.

Just my thoughts...

Todd J.

KBroeker

--
18 Feb 2009 10:23 AM

See my post from about this time in the Drift thread. It is long winded (as I tend to be), but I have made suggestions on Drift articles that may help people learn about the aspects of the club they are not involved in.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner