IT? - 92-93 Mazda MX-3
 4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
EBudman71

--
16 Feb 2009 11:29 AM

I took a look through the GCR to see where a 92-93 Mazda MX-3 with the 1.6l SOHC, 5-spd would fall, but it wasn't listed. Does anybody know if there is a formula on how something like this would be classified? I figure ITB is a safe bet..

I really don't care if the car is competitive, I'm planning on using it for a 24 hours of Lemons car at the end of the year & was looking to get as much track time on the car as possible this summer. So obviously, it's not worth re-writing the rule book if it isn't an easy fit. TIA!!

Eric

JSirota

--
    16 Feb 2009 01:13 PM

Doesn't appear to be classed. If you write a letter to crb@scca.com with all of the pertinent information (preferably fill out a VTS sheet, on the SCCA website), the ITAC will class it ASAP. ITB is a safe bet, but until we get into it, who knows.

However, I know that the LeMons car I drove wouldn't have been IT-legal, yours will be?

In the meantime, your region may have an ITE or another catch-all class where it would be legal (although not competitive.)

EBudman71

--
    16 Feb 2009 02:11 PM

Since the LeMons rules are getting close to reading like the GCR, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to build the car to be legal in SCCA. 1.5" DOM cage tubing required, FIA seats recommended, 3# Fire Extinguisher required.... the seat belt dates are about the only major freebie.

If classing were a no-brainer, I'd build the car now & race it, but it sounds like we'll just do Nelson Fundays and Gingerman practice nights instead. Although it sure would be fun to run the Longest Day as a practice.... 8-| Is a complete VTS required, with the stuff like windshield angle, etc.... heck, I cant even find the five speed transaxle gear & final drive ratios!?!

JSirota

--
    16 Feb 2009 02:20 PM
    EBudman71 wrote:

Since the LeMons rules are getting close to reading like the GCR, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to build the car to be legal in SCCA. 1.5" DOM cage tubing required, FIA seats recommended, 3# Fire Extinguisher required.... the seat belt dates are about the only major freebie.

If classing were a no-brainer, I'd build the car now & race it, but it sounds like we'll just do Nelson Fundays and Gingerman practice nights instead. Although it sure would be fun to run the Longest Day as a practice.... 8-| Is a complete VTS required, with the stuff like windshield angle, etc.... heck, I cant even find the five speed transaxle gear & final drive ratios!?!

Fill out what you know. Don't worry about stuff like windsheild angle. At a minimum, include the specs that are actually published in the ITCS (which includes gear ratios.) If you can gather it, we can act faster because then WE don't need to do all the research.

Basically, tell us what we need to know to make a fair classification.

The stuff that would have made our LeMons car illegal for IT wasn't the safety stuff (although a lot of cage stuff you could do isn't legal in IT), it was the preparation allowances. We took far more stuff out of the LeMons car than you are allowed to remove in IT.

EBudman71

--
    16 Feb 2009 02:38 PM

I'll do what I can & try to get it sent out this week.

Since this is technically still a streetable car, I can plan on building it to the IT rules & then do the LeMons prep in September... Thanks!!

Eric

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner