Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>
Author Messages
OneEyeMedia

--
12 Apr 2009 09:29 PM
dtruck260 wrote:

I am new to this whole thing, this will be the first event I plan on attending. (New scca member and all)

If there is anything I can do, cleanup, prep or otherwise please let me know, I would be happy to help!

Hey good luck to ya, newbie :P

Only advice I can give you first timer, look ahead...always look ahead!

Cheers

bmonnin1
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
12 Apr 2009 11:01 PM
dtruck260 wrote:

I am new to this whole thing, this will be the first event I plan on attending. (New scca member and all)

If there is anything I can do, cleanup, prep or otherwise please let me know, I would be happy to help!

First of all nice Camaro. When you race it be very careful with the accelerator pedal. The combination of a big engine and a solid axle on the rear end means it is very easy to drift the rear end on corner exit. While it is fun to drive and watch it is also slow.

Second there is a saying in autocross racing - "If you want to race, you have to work." We will run at least two heats, maybe three or if we get enough people four heats. You will get to race one of those heats and you will have to work one of the other heats, most likely on a corner station chasing knocked down cones. Best place for a new person to work as you can watch how other drivers drive the course. That being said if you would like to help out additionally we will probably need help setting up the course the day before and/or some help tearing down the course and equipment after the event. It always seems that there are only a couple three people doing that and it really helps if more would help out.

Finally before you come make sure your car is safe. Battery needs to be tied down, and I don't mean with a bungy cord. Tires need to be properly inflated (actually over inflated, I recommend filling them to 45 psi and bring an air pressure gauge with you) and lug nuts torqued to recommended torque (usually 85 ft/lbs.). Make sure the brakes and steering are in good condition and the seat is firmly bolted down. Clean out the interior and trunk of car, don't want anything flying around, remove the spare tire (can be done at the eventand bring water, sun screen, rain gear, chair, a Snell 2000+ M or SA certified helmet (if you don't have one we have loaners), and whatever other comfort items you feel you need. Most importantly, have fun, have lots of fun. Also feel free to ask questions, I never met anyone at an autocross event that was not willing to help out a newbie. Make sure you go on the novice walk with Steve Meritz at 9:45. I go on the novice walk just to see if my view of how to drive the course is the same as his or if he saw something I didn't.

If you would like a little more detail on what to expect and what you need to do see the link below.

http://www.tirerack.com/features/so...ndbook.htm
dtruck260

--
13 Apr 2009 01:58 PM

Thanks for the pointers, I will look at the list and see where I can help out,

Yes it is a nice car, and I would rather not prang it, go slow to go fast!

I for sure want to cone chase to see how other people do it, then I can go out and confirm that I have no clue what I am doing!

OneEyeMedia

--
13 Apr 2009 03:18 PM

That is the fun part :P

One other thing, take your moding in steps. Each mod will preform differently out on course. Learn you cars characteristics and mod slowly. There is quite a few RWD guys that are excellent drivers to learn from. There is a few FBody's out there that can help to (from the pic, that is an fbody chasey right?) I would recommend to ride a long with them as well. Most of them are very friendly with ride alongs, I would pick up a one to two seconds somtimes with just a ride along. It gives you a different perspective and also a feel of how fast you can enter a corner and braking points on course that help with faster times. Sometimes starting out, get a co-driver in your car can help to. Maybe give up one of your runs and let one of the seasoned drivers take it out for a spin with you as passenger to help get that same perspective in your own car. I am sure Bart can hook you up with a few of them the day of the race, right Bart :P

Kruse offers plenty of room for your RWD to have a blast, just remember....HAVE FUN!!!

dtruck260

--
13 Apr 2009 04:07 PM

Yep, a 30th anniversary 1997 Camaro, The ride a longs would be a good thing I think, There is not too much done to the car at the moment, LT Headers, CAI, 52mm TB and Roller Rockers. I would like to do some suspension changes once I get the hang of it.

OneEyeMedia

--
13 Apr 2009 04:25 PM

good plan...

I have learned the best mods out there are

1. Seat Time

2. Tires

3. SEAT TIME

4. Having FUN and learning from the right people or crowd...

5 S-E-A-T T-I-M-E!!!!

LMAO!!!

BTW: Bart sorry I thread jacked you THREAD :(

Good luck to ya on your second go around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KBroeker

--
13 Apr 2009 06:25 PM

All-

Wish I could participate/contribute, but it is looking more and more like I will be tied up that day. Might show up with my daughters (6 and 8 y/o) just to say "hey", but they will get bored quickly, so I will not stay long.

Dtruck-

I started AutoX in fall of 2000, splitting my time between Detroit Council of Sports Car Clubs and Detroit Region SCCA events. In Spring of 2002, I relocated to Richmond, IN and as I was moving I tweaked my back for the first time. On one of my early trips to the Chairopractor, I had a guy in in the parking lot in a car just like yours (does it have t-tops?) ask me about my "special addition" '97 Mustang Cobra. I had seen the Bullit wheels on a Mustang in the Detroit area that must have been early prototypes and I loved them. So, when they became available through Ford Motorsports just after the launch of the Bullit Mustang, I bought a set for my street wheels (I had the stock wheels for my race rubber). Anyway, I told him that my car was not a special addition and that the wheels were not stock. We parted our ways.

As I had already been "sizing-up" my competition in the regions that I was considering, when the Chairopractor asked what I like to do for a hobby and he said that his brother and father like the sort of "racing" that I did and did it in Indianapolis, I put two and two together. After that, the Chairopractor and his sister (also a therapist there and part of the practice) always asked me how I did against their brother. I am happy to say that I always beat him (although I had better tires, so that is a bit of as disclaimer).

I think about David from time to time as I look at my mantle in my "man-cave" rental here in Richmond (I am moving back for a job in Richmond after a three year hiatus) and look at my 2002 F Stock trophy from the Indy Region. I drove his car a few times and he mine before I sold it and I do not remember who did better (FYI, I had a co-driver in my Subie last year who beat me every time), but I remember loving the friendly competition. I wonder if you have David's car. He traded it in on a "last year" (2002?) Black Camaro SS with some SLP bits. I remember fondly of driving his '97 Camaro in a WOR event where I had gotten out to store the t-tops (I am 6'3") and having the weird sensation of having the accelerator push back at me because I had not "reset" the traction control. Bart is right about the "Dukes of Hazzard" driving style, including it being fun.

I have rambled again....

dtruck260

--
13 Apr 2009 06:46 PM

Yes it is a t-top car, was his car stock?, this one has only 66k miles and (was) all stock before I got a hold of it in Decatur Indiana, (was a local car), ahh, and it dosent have TC

bmonnin1
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
13 Apr 2009 08:53 PM

dtruck260:

I am sure we can find someone for you to ride along with. I'm sure Brian Britten will show up and he drives a Firebird. I also expect Jehn Fehring to show up and he drives a Trans Am. Worse comes to worse you can always go on a ride along with me. My car sticks the rear end better then f-bodies, independent suspension that has camber instead of a solid axle without camber, but it is a rear drive with decent power.

By the way if you are planning to do this with any serious intentions you may want to get rid of the roller rockers. For the most part internal engine modifications will put you in a modified class and without spending a large amount of money your car will probably never be competitive in it. Excluding the roller rockers your car can compete in E street prepared, still tough class but less expensive then the modified or prepared classes. You may also want to consider our SMS class (listed as SMT in the online registration), it allows engine mods but runs on street tires but it is a local class, not a national class. For now we can ignore the fact you have roller rockers, won't help you much anyway till you get your driving better.

P.S. What's your real name so I don't have to call you dtruck260? Wouldn't be Nicholas Nelson, would it?

OneEyeMedia

--
13 Apr 2009 09:18 PM

KBroeker wrote:
hahahahm you edited your post :P

You keep it up Kyle, you are going to get a new nickname, the Mad Skillz Rambler :P

dtruck260

--
14 Apr 2009 06:33 AM
You can call me Nick, for short, I put the car in the SMT class after I figured out what it was, what about the LT headers? do those make a difference?
bmonnin1
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
14 Apr 2009 01:07 PM

dtruck260 wrote:
You can call me Nick, for short, I put the car in the SMT class after I figured out what it was, what about the LT headers? do those make a difference?

Not in Street Prepared, Prepared, or Modified classes, the exhaust is free in these classes. In the official SCCA street tire classes (ST, STS, STU, STX) they have to be emissions legal, stock classes they are illegal. Your currently signed up in a local modified class so all your mods are OK. Get rid of the roller rockers and your OK for Street Prepared.

Bigblockbandit

--
14 Apr 2009 02:01 PM

I run my trans am in SM. With the engine and suspension mods ive gone thru it is where i ended up. The slippery kruse course is one of my favorites for fun driving. The lack of grip keeps you on the edge all the time and thats what I enjoy. There were a couple guys running f stock camaros that were very impressive cars. Truth is you dont need more power, you need more tire and suspension to put it to the ground in autocross. High hp requires lots more discipline to keep it together. It never ceases to amze me how slowing down can lower your times some days.

have fun and maybe we will see you there.

Sean

bmonnin1
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
14 Apr 2009 02:27 PM
Bigblockbandit wrote:

I run my trans am in SM. With the engine and suspension mods ive gone thru it is where i ended up. The slippery kruse course is one of my favorites for fun driving. The lack of grip keeps you on the edge all the time and thats what I enjoy. There were a couple guys running f stock camaros that were very impressive cars. Truth is you dont need more power, you need more tire and suspension to put it to the ground in autocross. High hp requires lots more discipline to keep it together. It never ceases to amze me how slowing down can lower your times some days.

have fun and maybe we will see you there.

Sean

Well said Sean[Beer][Y]

wrheadle

--
14 Apr 2009 06:29 PM
Bigblockbandit wrote:

Truth is you dont need more power, you need more tire and suspension to put it to the ground in autocross. High hp requires lots more discipline to keep it together.

Always need more power.... there are sites that will allow you to put it down. If traction is limited, your right foot just has to do more work than just pushing the pedal thru to floorboard. Everyone has traction control, some just need to use it more often...[:D] Of course, this is coming from a guy who has 28" of Indiana gummy to put down the power.

Bigblockbandit

--
14 Apr 2009 10:18 PM
Yea...cant wait to trade the 540 hp 3600# pontiac on 275/50s out for the 540 hp 2200# cobra on 315/35s and see what the difference is. Right now the grippy toledo airport course is the only place i get near enough traction for the old boy.
wrheadle

--
15 Apr 2009 06:40 AM

Bigblockbandit wrote:
Right now the grippy toledo airport course is the only place i get near enough traction for the old boy.

Generally speaking, Grissom has more grip than Toledo....[Y]

KCSSLE

--
17 Apr 2009 07:04 PM

Hello Bart,

Did you have any luck with getting Kruse to clean up the lot for us?

If not, can I request that as the event master that you request for some extra help early on Sunday (7:00) to clean the course?

Please let me know as I will ask as many people as I know to bring a leaf blower and extra brooms to clean up the course. Do you know how many brooms are on the SCCA truck. If you set the course up on Saturday, that would allow an early arrival (7:00) cleanup crew of people to get the course good and clean by 8 - 8:30. That should still allow plenty of time for tech., walking the course, car setup, etc. I believe if we have many people bring gas powered leaf blowers it will make a big difference.

I am not sure if you would rather have this topic added to the other posting regarding the Crew.

Thanks again for being event master.

bmonnin1
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
20 Apr 2009 04:16 PM
KCSSLE wrote:

Hello Bart,

Did you have any luck with getting Kruse to clean up the lot for us?

If not, can I request that as the event master that you request for some extra help early on Sunday (7:00) to clean the course?

Please let me know as I will ask as many people as I know to bring a leaf blower and extra brooms to clean up the course. Do you know how many brooms are on the SCCA truck. If you set the course up on Saturday, that would allow an early arrival (7:00) cleanup crew of people to get the course good and clean by 8 - 8:30. That should still allow plenty of time for tech., walking the course, car setup, etc. I believe if we have many people bring gas powered leaf blowers it will make a big difference.

I am not sure if you would rather have this topic added to the other posting regarding the Crew.

Thanks again for being event master.

As you can see in the new post I put up we need to do the best we can to clean the course so please bring leaf blowers Sunday morning.

KBroeker

--
23 Apr 2009 09:16 AM
KBroeker wrote:

All-

Wish I could participate/contribute, but it is looking more and more like I will be tied up that day. Might show up with my daughters (6 and 8 y/o) just to say "hey", but they will get bored quickly, so I will not stay long.

I have an open house on Sunday afternoon where I need to be out of the house with my daughters. So, I will probably show up around 2:00 and try to remember my camera. Who can I send digi-pix to?

Also, I looked at the MyAutoEvents.com pre-reg list. If you have not pre-registered, please do. It makes the event run much smoother. I see some new names and some old names that did not come out much last year due to economy/family/car issues so that is great. I am curious to see how the young Ryan III will do against the car owner in The Chucksters STfU STi. Other than the chance of some isolated storms late in the day, the weather looks great.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner