G-LOC Brakes
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 03 Apr 2009 05:37 PM by  jrem72
$25k budget and would love some guidance on best bang for the buck to enter SCCA racing
 3 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
KevinSweeney

--
27 Mar 2009 09:08 AM

It would be great to get some guidance from some race vets on what to expect and how to best spend my savings for a car, season, etc. etc. I'd love to do some SCCA club racing and wanted to find out best package options. My total budget for this year is about $25k and wanted to find out which series is most affordable (Club Ford, SRF, SS, etc. etc.). Several years ago, I was close to entering Club Ford, but a flood in the house put the dream on hold for a few years. I live in CT, so LRP is my "home track." I'm starting from scratch, so I need to obtain my SCCA license and start from there.

Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance you can provide!

Kevin Sweeney
    ktsf1indy@gmail.com

StrokerAce
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 Mar 2009 10:20 AM

Personal safety gear $1000-$1800 Helmet, Suit, socks, balaclava, arm restraints.

Do you want to just go out and race or do you want to be able to grow and be really competitive nationally?

Do you already have a tow vehicle or is that also part of the budget? Bigger car you will need a bigger tow vehicle. Is that part of your budget? Trailer, comes with the car or buy separately.

You can get a formula vee starting 5-6k and get something pretty competitive nationally(depending on your driving) +-10k. Seasonal rebuilds $1400-$2000/ 8 races. Tires, run up front nationally every other weekend, being a regional driver 6-8 races, or buy take offs from the national drivers for a discount. Very compettive class. Realisticly expect to budget a minimum of 1k/weekend for all the expenses at a minimum for any racecar.

Be honest with yourself about budget for year. Include rebuild, crash damage, storage, consumables (tires, plugs, brakes, lots of little stuff that adds up). Race weekend: tow gas, race gas, hotel, meals (you and crew), dues for non-member crew, entry fee, tolls, etc. Accesories: fuel jugs, speed jack, tools, pyrometer, tire pressure gages, other cool necessary or extra items. Not to mention the things you forget and have to buy another at the track or the local hardware store.

Fords will be more expensive. IT can be cheap or expensive. Formula cars are generally easier to work on and to fix crash damage. Full body cars can be harder to work on and are more difficult and time consuming to repair crash damage.

How fast to you want to go=how much money you have.

KevinSweeney

--
    27 Mar 2009 12:25 PM

Thank you so much for your quick reply and superb information. I'm 44 years old, so for now, I want to build my driving skills regionally and just have as much fun without spending too much time and money managing damage. I'm a huge fan of formula cars, so they sound like they're easier to work on. I do have a tow vehicle (V8 Mountaineer) which helps a lot. I sincerely appreciate the time you took to write back so quickly and I'll start building my budget plan!

Kevin

jrem72
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Apr 2009 05:37 PM

Kevin,

I have a really nice 2003 BMW Z4 Showroom Stock B Race car for sale. Very reliable and a great starter class as you will be eligible for both National and Regional Races. Showroom stock is a very good class to get started in and the car would fit your budget and leave you plenty of money for racing etc. Let me know if you have any interest and I can get you some info. Email me at jrem72@aol.com

See this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...OTORS:1123

Thanks

JR

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner