Page 1 of 612345 > >>
Author Messages
christoc
I'm an Admin
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
27 Nov 2010 06:33 PM

This thread is for discussing what you think of the new site. Feel free to praise, discuss, or bitch about the site. We only promise to read the good things, but may also read the bad ;)

For reporting issues please see the Reporting thread.

mattm
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    27 Nov 2010 07:59 PM
    Nice look guys! I appreciate a BMW at the top (I know that won't last for long). :)
    Lynn
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    27 Nov 2010 08:12 PM
    I like it a lot. Thanks for all the hard work getting the change done.
    GlennAustin
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 Nov 2010 09:49 PM
    I'm glad to see the software finally upgraded. Hopefully the "first unread post" option is enabled...
    loosecannon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Nov 2010 12:33 AM
    can you please add a "latest posts" button?
    christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Nov 2010 01:05 AM

Right now the latest posts section is found at the top of the Forums page, go to the Aggregate forum, I'll see about adding a button though as well. Right now I'm trying to see if there's an easy way to get BB code working for your images

christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Nov 2010 01:06 AM
    loosecannon wrote:

Actually I just found it :) Click on the "ALL FORUMS" button that will take you to the latest posts.

snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Nov 2010 08:24 AM
    loosecannon wrote:
    +1
    and thanks for all the efforts.

IntrigueGX
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Nov 2010 12:53 PM

So is my blog permanently deleted again? Sigh.

mleach

--
    28 Nov 2010 01:42 PM
    First off, great work. Seems like a lot of work went into this migration, and it is fully appreciated. I have a small request: I would like to have a minimal visibility mode available in my forum settings. I would like to be able to disable images, avatars, and signatures, so that when I am viewing on my phone, it speeds up load times considerably.
    Alex Tziortzis
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Nov 2010 07:48 PM

It is annoying that there are like 5 posts per page, can we change that?

Also, it seems like the amount of space taken up per post has gone up.

with the migration, displaying of text included in replies has a bunch of control characters and what not so it is distracting.

Also, when replying to a reply, the newest text should go on top, not on bottom.

you should be able to click reply without having logged in, then if you arent logged in, it should prompt you to log in, then bring you to the "reply" page.

christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Nov 2010 08:16 PM
    Alex Tziortzis wrote:

with the migration, displaying of text included in replies has a bunch of control characters and what not so it is distracting.

Also, when replying to a reply, the newest text should go on top, not on bottom.

you should be able to click reply without having logged in, then if you arent logged in, it should prompt you to log in, then bring you to the "reply" page.

1. Yes, you can change that by clicking on MY SETTINGS on the Forum page when logged in, you can control how many posts per page and also threads per page on the listings. For some reason the default settings don't seem to take, so each user has to set their own.

2. Yes, post size has increased, I'll see if I can trim it down.

3. I need URLs to know what exactly you're talking about

4. Not sure I can easily change this, will see.

5. This one isn't possible right now, will see about customizing the forum code to do so in the future.

Bullitt2954
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Nov 2010 08:20 PM
    Alex Tziortzis wrote:

Click on "My Settings" then "Forum Settings" then "Edit Settings" Type in some number (say, 25) in the "Threads per Page" box; another number (say, 50) in the "Posts per Page" box, edit anything else on there you like, then click "Update".

Click "Forums" in the bar at the bottom-edge of the Header to take you back to the Forums Home.

It'll take a bit of screwin' around to figure out the entire mess of this - but it seems to be more stable than the previous software. Time will Tell.

GlennAustin
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Nov 2010 09:00 PM
    GlennAustin wrote:
    I'm glad to see the software finally upgraded. Hopefully the "first unread post" option is enabled...

And I find that it is! In the "Last Post" column clicking on the red page icon will take me to the first unread post in the thread!

Yay!

Butt Dyno
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Nov 2010 10:09 PM
    This is definitely an upgrade, thanks! Any reason why no vBulletin? It's kind of industry standard, and I'm sure we could get the requisite $200 going if need be. I've got $10 for it... I use the site a lot. Some nitpicking: * Any way to mass migrate the old avatars? Assuming the old database is still around, I'm sure with some poking I could help figure out a way... * Can you remove the "8th level poster" thing and maybe make the screen names black instead of gray? I think the threads would be a little easier to follow.
    christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Nov 2010 11:24 PM
    GlennAustin wrote:
    GlennAustin wrote:

And I find that it is! In the "Last Post" column clicking on the red page icon will take me to the first unread post in the thread!

Yay!

Awesome, I wasn't sure that was available in the new software, glad it is and works though :D

christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Nov 2010 11:27 PM
    Butt Dyno wrote:
    Any reason why no vBulletin? It's kind of industry standard* Any way to mass migrate the old avatars? Assuming the old database is still around, I'm sure with some poking I could help figure out a way... * Can you remove the "8th level poster" thing and maybe make the screen names black instead of gray? I think the threads would be a little easier to follow.

I left the site about a year ago due to lack of time to work on things. Dave tried to get things converted to vBulletin but for some reason or another wasn't able to get it done, I think he even had vBulletin people trying to do it without luck. I came back on board a few months ago, hell it was back in July, where'd time go?

Being that I work with DotNetNuke on a daily basis (I provide training for it, and work for DotNetNuke Corporation) it made sense to move to the platform I know best.

Avatars, it wasn't worth the time it was going to take to try to bring them over, the formats of the old and new software were completely different and trying to do the mapping was something I didn't have the time/desire to figure out :)

As for the usernames, are you talking about in the posts, or on the listing page?

rtp.rick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Nov 2010 05:50 AM

At first look, I sure don't like it. Sorry. I suppose some of the issues may get fixed. Apparently, avatars don't work on old posts? How do you get more than just a few posts on a page. Going from page to page is kind of a pain. I don't think it's easy to tell if there are new posts, everything is kind of blah.

When I click on "view unread threads", I get a bazillion pages. After clicking "set all read", and go back to clicking the "view unread threads" button again, I still get a bazillion pages, even after refreshing. (???)

I'll check back later. Maybe it's just me. Of course, I guess I'm one of the few that really liked the old site, when it wasn't slow. The only issue I ever had with it was the inability to mark the new posts "as read". That doesn't seem to work on this new site either, so......It's just not better.

H's & K's,
    Rick Ruth

Bullitt2954
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Nov 2010 09:07 AM
    Quote:
    When I click on "view unread threads", I get a bazillion pages. After clicking "set all read", and go back to clicking the "view unread threads" button again, I still get a bazillion pages, even after refreshing. (???)

It seems the software will only mark a limited-number of threads "Read" at one time - if you continue marking them Read, it will eventually get them all.

BRODA

--
    29 Nov 2010 10:41 AM
    I appreciate all the hard work which has gone into the transition, but I also really liked the old site. A few suggestions: 1.) There must be some way to make more than 5 posts per page the default. I don't mind logging in every time I visit the site, but previously I did not need to. 2.) The black on gray is not as easy to read as the black on white of the old site. A larger font size may help? 3.) Quoted text is WAY too small. 4.) This last one is minor, but the bar at the top of each post with the date is HUGE. Also, for short posts with avatars, the gray below the post seems out of place. Thanks.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 612345 > >>

Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner