Author Messages
rtp.rick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
29 Nov 2010 11:27 AM
Bullitt2954 wrote:
Quote:
When I click on "view unread threads", I get a bazillion pages. After clicking "set all read", and go back to clicking the "view unread threads" button again, I still get a bazillion pages, even after refreshing. (???)

It seems the software will only mark a limited-number of threads "Read" at one time - if you continue marking them Read, it will eventually get them all.

I can't see that the "Set All Read" button does anything at all. I've been able to change the number of threads and posts per page, so that's good. although, I have to say, I don't think there is anything better on the new site than the old. As I mentioned, other than when the old site was incredibly slow, I really liked it. The only thing I didn't like was the inability to select a "mark all posts a read" button. As far as I can tell, this site doesn't have one of those (that works) either. Oh well. (shrug) The problem is that it's much worse, now, because when you select the "view unread threads" button, you always get everything. Not good, not good at all.

H's &amp; K's,
Rick Ruth

nighthawksi04
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Nov 2010 11:31 AM
BRODA wrote:
I appreciate all the hard work which has gone into the transition, but I also really liked the old site. A few suggestions: 1.) There must be some way to make more than 5 posts per page the default. I don't mind logging in every time I visit the site, but previously I did not need to.

As far as having to login every time you visit the site, if you select "Remember Login" next time you login, you won't have to login every time.

rtp.rick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
29 Nov 2010 11:45 AM

Yeah, I don't have to log in everytime, but I don't remember seeing a box for "remembering" my password. Of course, I'm very old and feeble.

It seems as if the response from bullitt2954 was/is correct. The number of pages does seem to be reducing as I continue to click the "set all read" button. I do/did notice that the posts are not in any sort of order when the "view unread threads" button is selected. Maybe this won't be a big deal if I can fianlly get to where the ones that come up have truly been "unread".

H's &amp; K's,
Rick Ruth

rtp.rick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
29 Nov 2010 12:02 PM

Nope, it's all crap. I had it down to 41 pages, but then it went back up. Of course, with the pages (and threads) in no particular order the "show unread threads" button is useless.

I guess I'll check back in a few days and see if anything has been fixed. I do appreciate everyone's effort(s) to fix what, to me, seemed be something unbroken, but I really don't think it has been much of a success.

I should also mention that I can't see/tell what is/was a sticky, or how/where to select an emoton. Sorry, I'm really kind of frustrated by the whole thing. You guys had the other site working great.

H's &amp; K's,
Rick Ruth

christoc
I'm an Admin
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
29 Nov 2010 01:44 PM
BRODA wrote:
3.) Quoted text is WAY too small. 4.) This last one is minor, but the bar at the top of each post with the date is HUGE. Also, for short posts with avatars, the gray below the post seems out of place. Thanks.

Quote text is bigger now, hopefully that helps. I also made all the text bigger, but still have some areas to clean up I think.

The headers with dates and other info should also be smaller now.

The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
29 Nov 2010 02:17 PM
Is there a way to hide forums you don't view as was possible on the old site (one of the few features of the old site I liked).

I do think a big investment in getting avatars converted over is worth it though. This is a social network and losing the 'identities' of the members will make a big impact on the interactions.

I think getting more info on a page is important too. Like right now "Report Post' is after the text of a post and takes up more page space. Perhaps this could be put up above with 'Quote' and 'Reply' (but maybe on the left side to avoid confusion). Not a big fan of larger text either - maybe there is an option to let people view text in larger format.

I do like the new format so far and appreciate the effort. Thank you!

Also great choice of car for the banner (M3)!

PS are the yellow squares that relate to post count supposed to have the hover text backwards? :p I notice all yellow gives you 'Noobie', but 1 yellow says something like 'posts a lot'.
Bullitt2954
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
29 Nov 2010 03:13 PM
Quote:
PS are the yellow squares that relate to post count supposed to have the hover text backwards? :p I notice all yellow gives you 'Noobie', but 1 yellow says something like 'posts a lot'

I took that as a Joke.......

BRODA

--
29 Nov 2010 04:05 PM
Chris Hammond wrote:
BRODA wrote:
3.) Quoted text is WAY too small. 4.) This last one is minor, but the bar at the top of each post with the date is HUGE. Also, for short posts with avatars, the gray below the post seems out of place. Thanks.

Quote text is bigger now, hopefully that helps. I also made all the text bigger, but still have some areas to clean up I think.

The headers with dates and other info should also be smaller now.

Thanks. I think it is much easier to read now.

BRODA

--
29 Nov 2010 04:07 PM
nighthawksi04 wrote:
BRODA wrote:
I appreciate all the hard work which has gone into the transition, but I also really liked the old site. A few suggestions: 1.) There must be some way to make more than 5 posts per page the default. I don't mind logging in every time I visit the site, but previously I did not need to.

As far as having to login every time you visit the site, if you select "Remember Login" next time you login, you won't have to login every time.

True, but it depends on your cookies settings. I don't retain cookies, so every time I close a window, I essentially log out.

Matt93SE
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Nov 2010 04:13 PM

Thanks for the updates! I like the color scheme better than the old one, but that's of course personal preference. Ease of use appears better too.

A couple of dislikes though- maybe these have a way to be updated or changed by the user? They all appear to be skin-related as they're all appearance issues.

1. there's a ton of "wasted space" on the page. It takes up 7 pages vertically on my monitor to scroll through the entire forum list while everything appears to be double spaced. lots of empty space between lines.

2. the far right column that displays the title of the most recent thread only shows about 3-4 words. is there a way to make that column wider so we can see more of the thread title? (If I see a catchy title while I'm scrolling through the 7 pages of forums, I'm more likely to venture away from the Super Touring and the For Sale forum and read other content.)

3. Any way to make the entire forum "wider"? On my monitor there is just as much blank space on either side of the forum list as there is content in the middle. IMHO it's a lot of money I paid for a monitor that I can't use due autoformatting. (I use 1920 * 1080 on my main display). I understand there's a lot of formatting that goes into this stuff but are there any options to change that stuff? I do a LOT of scrolling to read through threads because of the screen width.

4. Is there a button to add at the bottom for 'advanced reply' like there are on simple Machines and VBulletin?

5. any way for a user to delete their posts? I accidentally double-posted just a second ago and don't immediately see a way to delete the extra post..

6. Related to #5.. Is there a 'don't allow duplicate posts' feature like VB has? If I try to make a double post in VB, it brings up a box that says "the post you just submitted is similar/same as one previously submitted. you are now being taken to the thread." or something like that... that pretty much eliminates double posts.

7. do I really need to get an email when I've updated my profile on the forum? I guess that's a 'security thing', but if I updated my profile, I would think I know it. changing info on my banking website? sure. email me and make sure. on a car forum? not really necessary, IMHO. it's not the end of the world if someone changes the default timezone in my profile and I'm not immediately informed about it...

A couple screenshots are linked for examples...
Little info on latest thread: http://blehmco.com/stuff/SCCA_main_page.png
more info on latest thread and better use of space: http://blehmco.com/stuff/fullscreen.png
Duplicate post checking thingy: http://blehmco.com/stuff/test_duplicate_post.png

thanks for all the hard work! I know it's not easy to keep things secure AND make everyone happy AND make the sponsors happy. can't do it all, can ya? :)

christoc
I'm an Admin
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
29 Nov 2010 04:23 PM
The Nebulizer wrote:

PS are the yellow squares that relate to post count supposed to have the hover text backwards? :p I notice all yellow gives you 'Noobie', but 1 yellow says something like 'posts a lot'.

ROFLMAO looks like I misinterpreted things last night when I changed all the text.

Now, should I change them, or leave them as is?

Matt93SE
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Nov 2010 04:55 PM
well, I post a lot but not on this forum... I guess it fits? :)
talon95
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
29 Nov 2010 08:48 PM

I'm seeing a lot of weird times for the posts. Appears to maybe be GMT in Firefox, but correct in Chrome. At work today, the latest posts were about 30min in the future (in FF)!

Dave G.

Matt93SE
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Nov 2010 08:56 PM
Were you logged in on all of the views? I think mine defaulted to GMT or something until I logged in. the times were still funky until I went and changed my timezone to CST and all *seems* ok now.
Butt Dyno
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Nov 2010 09:38 PM
Chris Hammond wrote:
The Nebulizer wrote:

ROFLMAO looks like I misinterpreted things last night when I changed all the text. 

Now, should I change them, or leave them as is?

IMHO, why keep them at all? In most cases it's pretty easy to figure out who the real person is, anyway. Post count type stuff doesn't mean very much to me here.

Do we care who has 3000 posts if 2500 of them are in the "Street tires in stock" thread?
talon95
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
30 Nov 2010 06:37 AM
Matt93SE wrote:
Were you logged in on all of the views? I think mine defaulted to GMT or something until I logged in. the times were still funky until I went and changed my timezone to CST and all *seems* ok now.

No, I think I was logged in for FF, but not Chrome. Where is the timezone setting? I was thinking that too, but I can't seem to find it.

Dave G.

christoc
I'm an Admin
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
30 Nov 2010 10:48 AM
To update your time zone settings login, click on your name in the Navigation bar, click on Edit Profile. I'll be setting up profiles later this week to require an update so people will be forced to at least update some information to make things easier for the site to use.
Patrick Washburn
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
30 Nov 2010 01:22 PM
Sorry....I really liked the old site, and just like every time people "fix" things, I will get used to it. Performance has suffered *greatly* however. I have an older system at home, and it's just not keeping up with new sites. Just can't upgrade right now, but some sites like this one are getting more and more difficult to use with how slow they are. I may not be able to use this site at home....it's just too painful to click and then wait a half second to a second before anything happens, while most all other sites I visit are OK. Whatever...it's progress. Thanks for all the hard work you do!
Matt93SE
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
30 Nov 2010 01:40 PM
Please tell me that was tongue in cheek.... The old site used to take 20-30 seconds to load a page. I'd just run 3 or 4 windows at once. click a link and go do somethign else, then come back. This site is WAY faster so far.
christoc
I'm an Admin
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
30 Nov 2010 02:26 PM
I was going to ask if anyone else was having performance issues on the new site. It's way faster for me.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 6 << < 12345 > >>

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports
SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner