Page 2 of 9 << < 12345 > >>
Author Messages
Dick Rasmussen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
16 Jul 2011 07:32 AM
Markwrx wrote:

Thanks for the tire info. I looked at an Anson FF this evening. Very cherry car. I would need to get new tires and a trailer(any recommendations?) which mostly puts it out of my price range. Darn!

Mark

Enclosed versus open trailer? If you have a place to store the car between events an open trailer is viable. That is all I've towed with between Raleigh and a bunch of other places (including Kansas) for many years.

Dick

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
16 Jul 2011 10:52 AM
DickR wrote:
Markwrx wrote:

Thanks for the tire info. I looked at an Anson FF this evening. Very cherry car. I would need to get new tires and a trailer(any recommendations?) which mostly puts it out of my price range. Darn!

Mark

Enclosed versus open trailer? If you have a place to store the car between events an open trailer is viable. That is all I've towed with between Raleigh and a bunch of other places (including Kansas) for many years.

Dick

Dick, Open trailer. I need it light to tow behind a small pickup, and not more than 100 mi. Still working out storage.

Mark

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
16 Jul 2011 11:30 AM

The Anson has inboard shocks front and rear which is very nice and the custom bell housing is a stressed member for the rear suspension. And the engine has less than 2 races on it. It also has driver adj rear sway bar which I suspect is not real useful for autocross(well, maybe between runs for fast adj). Bare with me here guys while I slowly talk myself into $12K plus new tires, a trailer and finding a place to store it. I will post pictures later.

Mark

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
16 Jul 2011 05:30 PM

Pictures of the Anson here. http://markm.zenfolio.com/p765854886

What do you all think?

Mark

PCalhoun
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
17 Jul 2011 08:18 AM

The Anson has been for sale for quite a while on ApexSpeed and looks like a decent car. Here in lies the problem, it is one of a very small number of cars ever built or imported into the USA, by an extinct manufacturer. Though the principal was a well known F1 engineer. For spares, set-up, advise, and resale you are going to be much better off finding a Reynard, Lola, Crossle or Van Dieman, w/ a Swift being out of your price range.

Here is the Anson ad on ApexSpeed: http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...=anson+ff. This is where you want to keep your eyes open on cars for sale.

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
17 Jul 2011 09:43 AM
PCalhoun wrote:

The Anson has been for sale for quite a while on ApexSpeed and looks like a decent car. Here in lies the problem, it is one of a very small number of cars ever built or imported into the USA, by an extinct manufacturer. Though the principal was a well known F1 engineer. For spares, set-up, advise, and resale you are going to be much better off finding a Reynard, Lola, Crossle or Van Dieman, w/ a Swift being out of your price range.

Here is the Anson ad on ApexSpeed: http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...=anson+ff. This is where you want to keep your eyes open on cars for sale.

Peter,

Thanks for your response. For autox, what kind of spare parts might we need?

Mark

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
17 Jul 2011 09:53 AM
PCalhoun wrote:

See original post, but long-story short visit www.taylor-race.com or call and talk to Scotty.

You'll need a Hewland Mk9 Integral Layshaft 1st gear of 12:xx or 13:xx ratio to go w/ a 9:31 R&amp;P. This will be the most expensive part you buy or post a WTB on ApexSpeed.com. Then select your 2nd-4th gears from what comes w/ the car or you can trade too to get the speeds or RPM drop you want.

So when it comes to gearing one of these cars for autox, what is the usable power band? Do you set it up to use 2nd and 3rd? What max speed in 2nd? Not questions I have to worry about in my Subie: &gt;)

Mark

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
17 Jul 2011 07:34 PM

I have added pictures of the 73 Crossle which is also in contention, mostly because it is a lot cheaper. It does have about a 7 in shorter wheelbase. http://markm.zenfolio.com/p765854886

I sure do like the engineering on the Anson.

Mark

Basic Member
Basic Member

--
17 Jul 2011 08:18 PM
Another weekend, another defeat by the Dulon...

Mark, where are you from? And, what did Porter say the Crossle needed?
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
17 Jul 2011 08:26 PM
Markwrx wrote:
PCalhoun wrote:

See original post, but long-story short visit www.taylor-race.com or call and talk to Scotty.

You'll need a Hewland Mk9 Integral Layshaft 1st gear of 12:xx or 13:xx ratio to go w/ a 9:31 R&amp;P. This will be the most expensive part you buy or post a WTB on ApexSpeed.com. Then select your 2nd-4th gears from what comes w/ the car or you can trade too to get the speeds or RPM drop you want.

So when it comes to gearing one of these cars for autox, what is the usable power band? Do you set it up to use 2nd and 3rd? What max speed in 2nd? Not questions I have to worry about in my Subie: &gt;)

Mark

Mark, send an email to nlmyers@gmail.com and I can send you a gear setup excel spreadsheet. It originally came from Calhoun, but I think I remember he lost it in his recent move.

Typically these cars are geared to 80 mph in 4th. Some guys use a 3 gear setup, and others use a 4 gear setup.

Dick Rasmussen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
17 Jul 2011 09:29 PM
At the very least, per the pictures, the Crossle needs a lot of cosmetic work. Who knows about the brakes, rod ends, etc.

Dick
CM 85
85 VD
Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
17 Jul 2011 09:53 PM
Locked wrote:
Another weekend, another defeat by the Dulon...

Mark, where are you from? And, what did Porter say the Crossle needed?

I live in Redwood City, CA. Neil said it probably would need work given what he knows about the owner. I could do the cosmetics over time. Cosmetics is definitely a plus for the Anson, as well as engineering details and the suspension. Bruce, the Crossle owner, did say it had an engine rebuild only 2 races ago(in 2004) and he did start it up for me. I am waiting for more info on what went into the rebuild. The brake discs feel pretty smooth and the pads have use left. I am thinking of trailering it directly to Porter and leaving it for a check out and repair.

Mark

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
20 Jul 2011 07:06 PM

There are so many formula Fords ava that I will probably want to get one which will need shipping. Anyone have info how this is done?

Mark

PCalhoun
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
20 Jul 2011 09:13 PM

Yes, I have the electronic gear plotting chart available in Excel. Computer was just packed away for the move when someone was looking for it.

Mark- If you have started dialouge w/ Neil Porter pick his brain on available cars. He probably has more insight on what is out there in NorCal then anyone.

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
23 Jul 2011 12:16 AM
PCalhoun wrote:

Yes, I have the electronic gear plotting chart available in Excel. Computer was just packed away for the move when someone was looking for it.

Mark- If you have started dialouge w/ Neil Porter pick his brain on available cars. He probably has more insight on what is out there in NorCal then anyone.

I got the gear plotter from Nick, thank you. Neil was not aware of anything else for sale in this area. I have worked out a visit to see the 90 VD in Sioux Falls next week.

Mark

Sho Torii
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
28 Jul 2011 03:32 PM

What a great thread! I thank everyone who has contributed to this gem.

What do you guys think of a Honda motor fitted FF for autocross should I find an affordable one? I personally am much more familiar with fuel-injected motors than a motor with a carburator. Is it the direction where the majority may be heading in the future? If so, it may not be a bad idea to invest in one from the get go providing the price is right. Thoughts?

Dick Rasmussen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
28 Jul 2011 06:38 PM
Have you read any of these threads on Apexspeed forums?

http://apexspeed.com/forums/forumdi...ysprune=-1

http://apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44347

FYI once the carb is tuned by a pro engine builder for your engine it really doesn't need fine tuning after that. These are street engines that happen to be in a real race car.
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
28 Jul 2011 08:35 PM
Sho Torii wrote:

What a great thread! I thank everyone who has contributed to this gem.

What do you guys think of a Honda motor fitted FF for autocross should I find an affordable one? I personally am much more familiar with fuel-injected motors than a motor with a carburator. Is it the direction where the majority may be heading in the future? If so, it may not be a bad idea to invest in one from the get go providing the price is right. Thoughts?

Personally, doing a $12k motor swap before any fabrication cost on a car that I bought initially for 1/2 that won't be in my future.

Sho Torii
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Jul 2011 08:36 AM
DickR wrote:
Have you read any of these threads on Apexspeed forums?

http://apexspeed.com/forums/forumdi...ysprune=-1

http://apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44347

FYI once the carb is tuned by a pro engine builder for your engine it really doesn't need fine tuning after that. These are street engines that happen to be in a real race car.

Yes, I've read some of those threads and I found this one:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45522

Considering a good DB-1 with a Kent goes for around $15,000, I thought a DB-1 with Honda for $20,900 could be a good deal if that's where many might be heading in the future. I guess no one has found out whether the Honda in an autocross application has any advantage over the Kent?

It's good to know that the carb wouldn't need fine tuning once it's set right by a pro. I was under the imopression that it would need constant fine tuning. Thanks!

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
01 Aug 2011 08:19 PM

Thanks to all of you who helped me on the "move". I bought the 90 Van Diemen from Sioux Falls. Should be here next week!

Mark

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 9 << < 12345 > >>

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner