Page 5 of 9 << < 34567 > >>
Author Messages
Dick Rasmussen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
29 Aug 2011 12:17 PM

I see lots of big grins! Welcome to CM!

What site was that? I think you are in the SF area. I got my start in SF, mostly at Pleasanton.

If the battery is more than a few years old you may need to spring for a new one. Lots of advice on ApexSpeed.

Dick

CM 85 - wishing I was in Lincoln!!! Hopefully next year.

GChambers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
29 Aug 2011 03:12 PM

There's a bolt on my shifter that sticks into my thigh. I should have replaced it by now. :-) You may want to check that.

I'm happy to hear you like the car.

GChambers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
29 Aug 2011 03:12 PM
Edit: Double post. This website sucks.
GChambers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
29 Aug 2011 03:20 PM
Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Aug 2011 04:49 PM

We did a little work on the car this morning. I got in it and found that the problem w/ my thigh was a metal vent tube for the fire system. I was able to bend it around and out of the way toward the shift lever. We pulled the battery(what a lot of work) and are getting it charged to see if it is worth saving. Turns out that even though they are "sealed", they loose water.

Mark

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Aug 2011 04:51 PM
DickR wrote:

I see lots of big grins! Welcome to CM!

What site was that? I think you are in the SF area. I got my start in SF, mostly at Pleasanton.

If the battery is more than a few years old you may need to spring for a new one. Lots of advice on ApexSpeed.

Dick

CM 85 - wishing I was in Lincoln!!! Hopefully next year.

That lot is at Great America in Santa Clara. Unfortunately, the new 49ers stadium will be built there.

Mark

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Aug 2011 07:56 PM

Anyone know if a full face shield helmet is required for autox with FFs?

Mark

barryott

--
29 Aug 2011 08:21 PM
I looked and looked but couldn't find a rule. I thought there was but.... Anyway, regardless of a rule, it's a good idea, stuff flies off the front wheels, I've been hit in the face (helmet) more than once :-)

Barry
Dick Rasmussen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
29 Aug 2011 09:36 PM
barryott wrote:
I looked and looked but couldn't find a rule. I thought there was but.... Anyway, regardless of a rule, it's a good idea, stuff flies off the front wheels, I've been hit in the face (helmet) more than once :-)

Barry

Ditto. I don't even like to drive slowly without my shield down, let alone at speed. Eyes and/or glasses are too valuable. Goggles would protect eyes but not the rest of your face. Wait until you run in the wet, even in California!

Wow on Great America. I used to live in Santa Clara and then Milpitas. Too bad it is going away. Of course, in those days the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton was a great site and it was 20 minutes from my house in Milpitas.

Dick

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
30 Aug 2011 11:00 AM
barryott wrote:

Barry

I did notice things flying off the front wheels especially on the way to grid when I made turns. Later I had to sweep out my seat :&gt;)

I watched a road race video posted on the BM forum. How dull. FF's are waisted on road racing. They were "made" for autocross.

Mark

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
30 Aug 2011 11:37 PM

So, now that I have taken the big step and own a FF, I am counting on all of you to answer my questions:&gt;)

How do I tell how much fuel is in the "Tank"/fuel cell? It would be pretty embarrassing to run out of fuel on the course.

Mark

Dick Rasmussen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
31 Aug 2011 07:51 AM
Markwrx wrote:

So, now that I have taken the big step and own a FF, I am counting on all of you to answer my questions:&gt;)

How do I tell how much fuel is in the "Tank"/fuel cell? It would be pretty embarrassing to run out of fuel on the course.

Mark

"Dip stick". Seriously. Wooden stick if you have a straight shot, fuel hose if a bend is necessary. Thin wall pvc with holes and rounded end cap as a "tube" through the foam. I use a "calibrated" length of black fuel hose. Calibrated by adding one gallon of fuel at a time and securing a black tywrap as the marker. Wet fuel contrasts well with the dull black hose. My hose lives in the cell.

I'm sure when the other guys like Nick get home from Nats that they will chime in with their solutions. You might ask the question again then. Also check ApexSpeed. The only problem with ApexSpeed is that there are far too many posts from me. Getting to be the same here. &lt;grin&gt;.

Dick

syrarch04

--
01 Sep 2011 05:18 PM
Here's a good thread on ApexSpeed (thanks in part to Dick) about figuring out fuel level:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...fuel+level

I think that's going to be one of my (on a growing list of) winter projects. My car is new to me this year and I've tried to play it safe with fuel and put in at least a few gallons before each event. It's only run dry once, and it happened while Jim Garry was taking it for a spin. Sorry Jim!

GChambers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
01 Sep 2011 08:39 PM
Markwrx wrote: It is pretty embarrassing to run out of fuel on the course.

Mark

Yep, it is. Ask me how I know. :-)

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
04 Sep 2011 03:24 PM

Ok, Dipstick it is. I do like this solution but understand the safety issue. http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/imag/pdmcan3-large.jpg

Mark

Basic Member
Basic Member

--
05 Sep 2011 07:58 PM
DickR wrote:
I'm sure when the other guys like Nick get home from Nats that they will chime in with their solutions. You might ask the question again then. Also check ApexSpeed. The only problem with ApexSpeed is that there are far too many posts from me. Getting to be the same here. .

Dick

We have a straight shot, so we have a stick.. We drained the cell, then added to the base of the pickup. Empty is not dry, empty is a bit above dry. Then we added 3 gallons in 1 gallon increments and marked the stick.

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
11 Sep 2011 02:50 PM

I got in 9 runs yesterday on a short course. I think I am going to enjoy learning to use the power on over steer. The car is so forgiving that I will need more seat time to figure out how to use it well. My best time was only 1.3 sec behind the biggest and baddest Corvettes! There was a 83 Van Diemen at the event. Both drivers were about .3 sec faster than I was. Can't wait for the next event.

Mark

Dick Rasmussen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
11 Sep 2011 09:35 PM
CM is addictive!

I finally got out for my second event this year. Always FUN (in nice weather which it was). Reminds me of the good old days when I ran tons of events per year.

Dick
GChambers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
11 Sep 2011 09:46 PM
We had 8 drivers in CM and one in CML today in Indy. Good times. Close racing!
Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
11 Sep 2011 11:11 PM
GChambers wrote:
We had 8 drivers in CM and one in CML today in Indy. Good times. Close racing!

We were just counting and came up w/ 9 drivers and 5 cars on the whole west coast. You guys have a great group. Any suggestions as to how I can generate more interest here in SF region? Recently I have been saying "you can try to make a street car a better autocrosser, or you can do a lot less work making a road race car a great autocrosser".

Mark

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 5 of 9 << < 34567 > >>

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner