Author Messages
Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
11 Sep 2011 11:19 PM
DickR wrote:
CM is addictive!

I finally got out for my second event this year. Always FUN (in nice weather which it was). Reminds me of the good old days when I ran tons of events per year.

Dick

Dick,

Only 2 events this year? What is going on?

Mark

adhowe70
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
12 Sep 2011 12:18 AM

Mark,

There's more than 5 cars on the West Coast. We have 3 in the Northwest (myself, Marich, and Billings) and I know there are two in SoCal (Schillings and Puertas/Clements). Whatever you have in SFR is gravy on top of those 5. What we need is folks to travel more... 6 or 7 cars spread out over 1300 miles makes for a boring regional season.

When SFR has a top notch site back, you'll see me there from time to time.

Andy

Dick Rasmussen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
12 Sep 2011 08:01 AM
Markwrx wrote:

Dick,

Only 2 events this year? What is going on?

Mark

Mark,

"Life changed" in mid 2002 and autocrossing became low priority after 3 decades of HIGH priority. I'm hoping for 3 more events this year. After October I'm done until Spring. Slicks are no fun below about 60F. Does SFR still run the "Winter Slush Series" including the "Rubber Chicken Memorial Endurocross"? That was a great short series when I ran SFR events from the mid 70's to the mid 80's.

I've been preparing the car including fresh engine and suspension bits and fancy DA and video for an active 2012 season including Nats if things go as planned.

Dick

Robert Puertas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
12 Sep 2011 10:11 AM
adhowe70 wrote:

Mark,

There's more than 5 cars on the West Coast. We have 3 in the Northwest (myself, Marich, and Billings) and I know there are two in SoCal (Schillings and Puertas/Clements). Whatever you have in SFR is gravy on top of those 5. What we need is folks to travel more... 6 or 7 cars spread out over 1300 miles makes for a boring regional season.

Andy

Plus, Ben Martinez has been posting that he's shopping for a car, and Eric and I have talked to a few others in SoCal who are interested...

Next year should be interesting!

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
12 Sep 2011 10:49 AM
DickR wrote:

Mark,

"Life changed" in mid 2002 and autocrossing became low priority after 3 decades of HIGH priority. I'm hoping for 3 more events this year. After October I'm done until Spring. Slicks are no fun below about 60F. Does SFR still run the "Winter Slush Series" including the "Rubber Chicken Memorial Endurocross"? That was a great short series when I ran SFR events from the mid 70's to the mid 80's.

I've been preparing the car including fresh engine and suspension bits and fancy DA and video for an active 2012 season including Nats if things go as planned.

Dick

Yes we do the Slush series. The Sacramento branch does the Memorial Endurocross, last wkend of Sept.

Good to hear that you are still in the game.

Mark

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
12 Sep 2011 11:02 AM
Robert Puertas wrote:
adhowe70 wrote:

Mark,

Andy

Plus, Ben Martinez has been posting that he's shopping for a car, and Eric and I have talked to a few others in SoCal who are interested...

Next year should be interesting!

Andy and Robert,

It was Ben I was referring to when I said we did a count. Thanks for the accurate count. Now we need to work on getting together.

Ben is considering a FF as an exit stratagy from DSP depending on what happens with E46 BMWs. I have set up an event for him to try my car. That should chinch his transition:&gt;)

Mark

Dick Rasmussen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
12 Sep 2011 12:51 PM
The "toughest" part of running CM or other open wheel mod class is the "What is it, what engine, how fast will it go, I want one, etc." comments. Not to mention all the stares and thumbs up you get if you tow with an open trailer like we do.

Like any race car on an open trailer you have to be prepared for being "paced" for a little while by "lookie Lous".

Dick
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
12 Sep 2011 02:00 PM
Markwrx wrote:
GChambers wrote:
We had 8 drivers in CM and one in CML today in Indy. Good times. Close racing!

We were just counting and came up w/ 9 drivers and 5 cars on the whole west coast. You guys have a great group. Any suggestions as to how I can generate more interest here in SF region? Recently I have been saying "you can try to make a street car a better autocrosser, or you can do a lot less work making a road race car a great autocrosser".

Mark

Just find ways to let the people asking the questions drive the car.

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
12 Sep 2011 02:42 PM
DickR wrote:
The "toughest" part of running CM or other open wheel mod class is the "What is it, what engine, how fast will it go, I want one, etc." comments. Not to mention all the stares and thumbs up you get if you tow with an open trailer like we do.

Like any race car on an open trailer you have to be prepared for being "paced" for a little while by "lookie Lous".

Dick

I also have an open trailer and on the way home Sat I had a young motorcyclist slow down on my left and give me a thumbs up.

Mark

adhowe70
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
12 Sep 2011 11:48 PM
I had a regional guy who is neck deep in STR ask to take my car for a spin. His rationale was "I've never driven a real racecar before." He raced Spec Miata for a couple seasons, so he clearly meant a purpose built car rather than a GCR car. He took a few runs on one of our practice days and it was clear that he liked it. A lot. I don't know that he'll convert, but he'll remember it for a long time.

I've been working on a few folks in the northwest, too. One of them has a conditional offer out on a car... I'll probably make another trip to Packwood here in two weeks and put him and his wife in the car and set the hook firmly. Anyone that is leaning towards the class at all can be convinced with just a few runs. That's how I got hooked. :-)

Andy
Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
13 Sep 2011 07:01 PM

Yes, get them in the car. Chris Boynton(a very good driver) drove my car at its debut event and he has been after me for another outing.

Mark

Sho Torii
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
14 Sep 2011 09:45 AM
I'm picking up the 85 Citation tomorrow. Really excited! We'll pour a seat and make other adjustments in this weekend and are hoping to run in the following weekend for the first time!
Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
14 Sep 2011 09:12 PM
Sho Torii wrote:
I'm picking up the 85 Citation tomorrow. Really excited! We'll pour a seat and make other adjustments in this weekend and are hoping to run in the following weekend for the first time!

Tell us more. Have you posted about this previously? Where will you be running?

Mark

Sho Torii
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
14 Sep 2011 09:43 PM
Yes, I have posted here before. I will be picking up Jim Garry's Citation (6-time national championship car) tomorrow. I and my wife will be running with the NNJR (Northern New Jersey Region) and will be the only C Mod car in the region. We will travel to the Philly Region and WDCR (Washington DC) on a regular basis. Unless something unexpected happens (like it did this year), we will be at Nationals in 2012.
Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
15 Sep 2011 11:21 AM
Sho Torii wrote:
Yes, I have posted here before. I will be picking up Jim Garry's Citation (6-time national championship car) tomorrow. I and my wife will be running with the NNJR (Northern New Jersey Region) and will be the only C Mod car in the region. We will travel to the Philly Region and WDCR (Washington DC) on a regular basis. Unless something unexpected happens (like it did this year), we will be at Nationals in 2012.

Darn, you are on the wrong coast:&gt;) Enjoy your new car.

Mark

GChambers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
15 Sep 2011 12:52 PM
Locked wrote:
Markwrx wrote:
GChambers wrote:

We were just counting and came up w/ 9 drivers and 5 cars on the whole west coast. You guys have a great group. Any suggestions as to how I can generate more interest here in SF region? Recently I have been saying "you can try to make a street car a better autocrosser, or you can do a lot less work making a road race car a great autocrosser".

Mark

Nick does a lot of this too.

Dick Rasmussen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
15 Sep 2011 03:13 PM
GChambers wrote:
Locked wrote:
Markwrx wrote:
GChambers wrote:

Mark

Nick does a lot of this too.

Considering how many cones I've hit in my two events this year (almost every run) anyone who I let drive my car is probably going to beat me on official time if not also raw time. Anyone have a cure for CM "cone itis" for someone who used to rarely hit cones?

Jim G
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
15 Sep 2011 06:58 PM
Dick,
Are you hitting the cones with the front tires? Rears? Or broadside :-)

Old tires or new (or newish)?

Jim
Dick Rasmussen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
15 Sep 2011 08:26 PM
Jim G wrote:
Dick,
Are you hitting the cones with the front tires? Rears? Or broadside :-)

Old tires or new (or newish)?

Jim

Jim,

I was just "bemoaning" the results of not driving the car much in the last few years and was kind of surprised that driving the small CM in an autox versus a "large" Mustang daily didn't make me be too far from the cones, not too close.

Rear tires. Both sides (one side at a time). Most of the cone hits are simply from driving too close in relatively open slalom or slalom like course elements which didn't used to be a problem. I don't mind the ones where I got out of shape from over driving the car. Tires' weren't an issue and the car width hasn't changed.

Too greedy and taking "looking ahead" to an extreme. :-)

This weekend I'll get cool and probably wet practice on slicks. That should be "fun" :-(

Worst part is that the car will probably get wet and dirty from the tow and/or running for the first time since I went through it this winter. :-(

Not like it hasn't been soaked while towing before. I've towed it through really heavy thunderstorms numerous times over the years.

Dick

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
16 Sep 2011 07:45 PM

Just lined up Hoosier rains. Now I am ready for everything:&gt;)

Mark

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 6 of 9 << < 45678 > >>

Woodhouse Motorsports
SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner