You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 9 of 9 << < 56789
Author Messages
Dick Rasmussen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
26 Jan 2012 08:39 PM

Plus, for a hill climb you might need the short first gear anyway so you would just run taller gears for 2 - 4 as needed for the particular hill.

Before buying a fixed first gear there are some "variables" to sort out first so you may have more questions.

Dick

na94

--
29 Jan 2012 12:03 PM

Did someone say Hill Climb???

I just keep the autocross gearing for hill climbs. I find my 3rd gear could be a bit taller, but that's about it. It's not really worth switching out - although the process is not rocket science.

mwood
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
29 Jan 2012 09:04 PM

Here's the winch installed...I had some scrap 1/4" plate, so that's what I used for the mount. I also had an extra battery connector, so I stuck it under the mount. Tried it out today and, using the jumper battery, it worked great. I winched the car onto the trailer on an incline and it just cranked it up, no problem. Total cost was right at $100, as I had to pick up a couple of electrical crimp connectors and the fasteners to bolt it to the trailer (plus the $98 the winch cost). Probably overkill, having an electric winch for a CM car on an open trailer, but that darn amazon.com made me do it...:-)

http:///http://i43.tinypic.com/ei0ao9.jpg

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Jan 2012 11:53 PM

Ok, Mike, now that you have the car on the trailer, what next?

I may need one of these winches.

Mark

mwood
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
30 Jan 2012 12:13 AM

Mark, I'm still working on stuff for the anti roll bars. I've finished the pillow blocks, the drop links and one slide adjuster...leaving three adjusters left to machine (I could have just welded up a tube/tabs/lock nut type of deal for the adjusters, but I wanted something a little more trick). Anyhow, my friend is going to make the other adjusters this week and then I'll take the car down to Jesus' shop and corner weight/align...at which point, I should be ready for a shake down event.

Did Ben end up buying that Swift? I see it has sold...

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
30 Jan 2012 12:41 PM

2nd event of the year out here(I missed the first one). The wonderful weather(70 deg and sun) is getting to be a problem as in drought. I did 2 sets of runs and still finished 0.12 sec behind the 400+ hp stripped out Subie for fastest time. I did not take out any cones, so I wasn't trying hard enough. For those of you who want a bit of autoX hit, here is a link to on car video. http://youtu.be/ZCUJcHw8QxI. I have figured out how to keep the camera from tilting up.

Mark

chrisw

--
30 Jan 2012 04:31 PM
Mark,

after "test fitting" your car, I think I am hooked.. damm you :) ... I didn't need to buy a new autox car this year.

I think I need a different chassis, your van dieman is a little tight on my shoulders. But other than that I kinda sorta fit into the car. I think if I made a new seat I could get a better fit, but that car looks tremendously fun to drive.

So does anyone want to trade a reasonably prepared SM car for a formula ford???
Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
30 Jan 2012 07:22 PM

It appears that Formula Fords sell themselves to autocrossers. Now that I think about it, I bought without a test drive:)

Come on in, Chris, the ride is a sh*t load of fun.

Mark

GChambers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
30 Jan 2012 10:40 PM
chrisw wrote:
Mark,

after "test fitting" your car, I think I am hooked.. damm you :) ... I didn't need to buy a new autox car this year.

I think I need a different chassis, your van dieman is a little tight on my shoulders. But other than that I kinda sorta fit into the car. I think if I made a new seat I could get a better fit, but that car looks tremendously fun to drive.

So does anyone want to trade a reasonably prepared SM car for a formula ford???

I'm about 6'1" and was about 235lbs when I started my shopping. Surprisingly, I "fit" in almost every car I tried and I actually bought the car that was the tightest fit on me. I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be happy long term but the car and I have seemed to "mesh" if that makes sense. I have adapted to be comfortable in the car. I always wear the smallest driving shoes I have and wear nothing more than a t-shirt when I drive. Long sleeve on the really crummy days. I keep a jacket close in grid on those days and it goes on between runs. I stay plenty warm in the car.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you can get yourself into and out of your car you'll find that you adapt quite nicely to the car. There are also some small changes you'll find you can do that will make a big difference in how you fit into the car. Before I bought mine it was a concern but Mark Lamm kept telling me "Just get one. We'll figure out how to make you fit in it." Other than a few little changed I wanted to make anyway, we didn't have to do anything for me to be comfortable.

Good luck with your search. Let us know when you find one.

mwood
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
30 Jan 2012 11:12 PM

Chris, as you know, I'm not really tall (5'11") or big (165), but I also had problems with the VD "fit" around my shoulders (both Mark's RF90 and my RF88)...it is definitely tighter than the vintage FF's (Merlyn, Lotus) I've driven. But, as GChambers said, you get used to it. I messed around with some of the seat padding and layback, also. If you think the VD's are tight, don't "try on" a Swift...they're even tighter!

It would be great if you bought a CM car. That would make at least 4-5 drivers running local events and, given the growth in the class down in SoCal and in the PacNorthwest, we should have pretty full fields at the West Coast Tours, for sure....I'm thinking we could have 6-8 cars at both SD and Packwood :-)

chrisw

--
31 Jan 2012 12:28 PM
currently I work out a lot with cross fit training. I'm 5'11" 205-ish, but with broad shoulders. I was able to fit a little more comfortably after moving some of the foam supports around. the way it fit this
past sunday, I don't think I could turn the steering wheel to full lock, it was that tight.

If I made a new seat, relocated the steering wheel a bit, and possibly move the pedals a bit forward, I could fit really nice into Mark's car.
I am definitely researching the car and the class now. If I can get a quick sale on my '03 Lancer evolution, then I could be in a car by summer at the earliest.

Mike, I can't wait to see your car... But I warn you.. I might be asking for a drive every now and then... :)
mwood
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
31 Jan 2012 09:54 PM
chrisw wrote:

Mike, I can't wait to see your car... But I warn you.. I might be asking for a drive every now and then... :)

Bring tires...;-)

loudes13
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
28 Feb 2012 07:41 PM
How tough is it for a novice to install the integral 1st gear and autox type gearing? Can a newb figure it out with just the manual and an afternoon?
Don Elzinga

--
28 Feb 2012 10:00 PM

If you've got the Hewland manual and a reasonable set of tools it's not bad at all. Setting up a new ring and pinion and adjusting the shift forks require special tools, but installing the integral 1st really isn't any harder than swapping ratios, which many people do at the track. One thing missing from the manual is the oil refill level - add one quart after a gear swap (or one and a half quarts if the box started out dry.)

Don

Dick Rasmussen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
29 Feb 2012 02:06 PM
Don Elzinga wrote:

If you've got the Hewland manual and a reasonable set of tools it's not bad at all. Setting up a new ring and pinion and adjusting the shift forks require special tools, but installing the integral 1st really isn't any harder than swapping ratios, which many people do at the track. One thing missing from the manual is the oil refill level - add one quart after a gear swap (or one and a half quarts if the box started out dry.)

Don

Just to clarify since I cannot find a post about the R&amp;P or the shift forks.

As far as I know (personal experience) changing to an integral first does not involve the R&amp;P or the shift fork setup.

The hardest part about changing gears (integral shaft or otherwise) is lining everything up for reassembly and getting the last 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Go to Apexspeed.com/forums for lots of posts on the topic. In fact if you get a FF you NEED to spend time on ApexSpeed

unless you happen to like learning everything easy the "hardway" like many of us "veterans" had to do in the pre internet days (i.e. the 90's).

Dick

CM since 1992

Don Elzinga

--
29 Feb 2012 09:33 PM

DickR wrote:

Just to clarify since I cannot find a post about the R&amp;P or the shift forks.

As far as I know (personal experience) changing to an integral first does not involve the R&amp;P or the shift fork setup.

The hardest part about changing gears (integral shaft or otherwise) is lining everything up for reassembly and getting the last 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Go to Apexspeed.com/forums for lots of posts on the topic. In fact if you get a FF you NEED to spend time on ApexSpeed

unless you happen to like learning everything easy the "hardway" like many of us "veterans" had to do in the pre internet days (i.e. the 90's).

Dick

CM since 1992

Right, I just meant that while there are some types of trans work best left to a pro, swapping ratios is pretty straightforward. And an integral 1st is no harder than a slip-on gear.

Don

DougW

--
02 Mar 2012 08:35 AM

Apexspeed is a fantastic resource. I highly recommend it. I lurked there for a few months and ended up buying a CM FF (Peter Calhoun's Swift). The SCCA Forums, in particular this thread, have also proven to be a great resource. If nothing else all of this showed me that CM is an active community.

Now, does anyone have a 16-18 foot enclosed trailer for sale :)

Doug

jtcolegrove
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
02 Mar 2012 05:19 PM
DougW wrote:

Apexspeed is a fantastic resource. I highly recommend it. I lurked there for a few months and ended up buying a CM FF (Peter Calhoun's Swift). The SCCA Forums, in particular this thread, have also proven to be a great resource. If nothing else all of this showed me that CM is an active community.

Now, does anyone have a 16-18 foot enclosed trailer for sale :)

Doug

Doug, look for a post by Chris Ross(Lancer360) on apexspeed. He's got a nice trailer in that range for sale.

DougW

--
02 Mar 2012 05:45 PM

Thanks! Yes I saw that one. It is very nice. We traded a few PM's on the height. I am looking for something just a bit shorter as I will keep it in my garage.

Markwrx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
07 Feb 2016 07:55 PM
Just re read this thread. Been a long wonderful 4 yrs of FFing with lots of seat time and two visits to Nationals. Going through withdrawal while waiting for my motor to be rebuilt(soon, I hope). Still finding ways to fine-tune and adjust my car for better performance. We now have 5 FF in the SF region. I had some competition for the championship this year. Moving to the San Diego area soon, a whole new group of FF people. I have met most of them at National events.
Appreciate all of the help the other FF drivers have given me.
Mark
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 9 of 9 << < 56789

Sunoco 88x31 Button
SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner