You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3612345 > >>
Author Messages
t walgamuth
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
14 Dec 2010 10:25 PM

So Jimmy and I went off on Saturday morning early to go to Deleware and check out and hopefully bring back the 85 Reynard FF. Our plan was working to a T until we hit Wheeling WVA and the truck died!

Yikes!

So we got the truck towed to Middle Creek Towing and did some investigation and we preliminarily decided it was a bad lift pump on the big Cummnins. They then towed the beast to the Dodge dealer for verification and repair on Monday.

On the good side, When I broke down I called my formula ford seller and he agreed to bring the race car here!

So on Sunday about 100 we went to the local municipal park (at the suggestion of the local gendarme) and test drove the little car around a large parking lot. I managed to spin it 270 degrees on slicks in the rain and I was just trying to check all the gears. It is a tight fit but I believe I will be able to have a lot of fun with it.

After that we went over to the towing service/auto repair/storage units/uhaul rental place that towed me in off the highway. They very generously (they are racers) allowed us to pull the race car into their garage where the seller pulled off all the body panels and explained how to fill this and adjust that for about an hour, then they allowed me to put it inside their fenced lot for security. (Thanks Doug, Gary and Gary at Middle Creek Towing!)

So Saturday did not end so well but Sunday was a pretty grand day.

Monday we were at the Dealer when they opened. After a few hours the diagnosis was confirmed and the parts ordered from Cleveland. They did some of the disassembly work on Monday afternoon so when the parts arrived at 8 am they were able to finish the Big Dog by 1015 am. We then picked up the FF from the impound at Middle Creek towing and headed home.

The FF is in the garage now thawing out.

And after Four days of forced companionship Jimmy and I are still friends and planning to co drive the Reynard next year.

The only fly in the ointment is that while the Big Dodge was at the dealership on Sat evening and Sunday someone stole my lightweight floor jack out of the back.

But I am still feeling pretty good about the Reynard!

Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Dec 2010 09:56 AM
    Wow! What a painful trip. I'm glad you made it back with FF in tow.
    GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    15 Dec 2010 10:41 AM
    Tom, glad to see you guys finally made it back safely.

Congrads on the car! I'm looking forward to seeing it. That makes a total of 5 CM cars in the Indy region now. Who's going to be next? :-)
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    15 Dec 2010 11:09 AM
    GChambers wrote:
    Tom, glad to see you guys finally made it back safely.

Congrads on the car! I'm looking forward to seeing it. That makes a total of 5 CM cars in the Indy region now. Who's going to be next? :-)

Now all our courses are "Mod courses"... :p

5? Did Lee get one too? I can only think of 4 - Nick, Mark, Geoff, Tom/Jimmy.

Plus, Kevin P. got a AM (or is it BM)?
    And, Craig's FM from the end of last year.

All these mod cars and no one is doing it right (takes a look at SportsCar calender's December picture... ) - rotary powered Sprite EM. That's how you get the best co-driver. :)
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Dec 2010 11:25 AM
    Brent Cary and Steve Gieger make #5.
    jchiu

--
    15 Dec 2010 11:40 AM

What a trip... Just to be completely clear, this is Tom's car. I can't take any credit for this car, I'm just a wheelman. ;)

dasto
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Dec 2010 12:47 PM
    Indy region CM battle is going to be fun to watch in 2011.
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Dec 2010 04:20 PM
    Jimmy is a partner in spirit!
    DigDloppyFonkeyBick
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Dec 2010 04:36 PM
    Crapola....

Now I want a c-mod car.
    GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    15 Dec 2010 05:09 PM
    DigDloppyFonkeyBick wrote:
    Crapola....

Now I want a c-mod car.

Dooooooo IIIIIIIIIIIIT!

Sil3nt_Ch4os

--
    15 Dec 2010 06:12 PM
    The Nebulizer wrote:

Plus, Kevin P. got a AM (or is it BM)?

I am AM, finally took a look at the rulebook and my engine puts my out of BM. Everything else still fits restrictions for BM so I still don't think I'll be giving Clemens a challenge.

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Dec 2010 06:24 PM

Tom,

Welcome to modified!

Sorry to hear about the problems during your trip. I guess that made the new CM car a little more expensive than expected, didn't it?

Like I told Kevin, you will remember this trip for the rest of your life. Making the first trip with a new race car on the trailer is special, even without tow car problems. I made two cross-country trips with new autocross cars, indicentally, both from Austin/TX, and both on Christmas eve/day. Those are good memories. I had my last purchase delivered. That's just not the same, although it was a lot more convenient.

O.k., everybody, CM is full now. Everyone else needs to go to BM.... ;)

Clemens

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Dec 2010 06:29 PM
    Sil3nt_Ch4os wrote:

I am AM, finally took a look at the rulebook and my engine puts my out of BM. Everything else still fits restrictions for BM so I still don't think I'll be giving Clemens a challenge.

Kevin,

Your engine is over 3000cc??? I didn't think so.

From the rule book:

---------------------------------

C. Sports Racers and All Open-Wheel Cars Including Formula Atlantics:

1. May use any automotive based 2v engine up to 1300cc, any 2-stroke motor up to 900cc, any 4v or more engine up to 1005cc.

Minimum weight with driver: 1020 lbs.

2. May use any 2v automobile-based production engines up to 1615cc. Minimum Weight with driver: 1110 lbs.

3. May use any 4v or more engine up to 1615cc. May use any 2-stroke up to 1300cc, Mazda 12A rotary with any porting and any

carburetion. May use fuel injection without weight penalty as required by the GCR. Minimum weight with driver: 1180 lbs.

4. May use any naturally-aspirated engine up to 3000cc. Minimum weight with driver: 1285 lbs.

-----------------------------------------

You just need to weigh 1285 lbs and meet the Formula Atlantic aero requirements. Hey, I won't tell on you if you weigh less. Welcome to BM. :)

Clemens

Sil3nt_Ch4os

--
    15 Dec 2010 08:05 PM
    Clemens wrote:
    Sil3nt_Ch4os wrote:

Kevin,

Your engine is over 3000cc??? I didn't think so.

From the rule book:

---------------------------------

C. Sports Racers and All Open-Wheel Cars Including Formula Atlantics:

1. May use any automotive based 2v engine up to 1300cc, any 2-stroke motor up to 900cc, any 4v or more engine up to 1005cc.

Minimum weight with driver: 1020 lbs.

2. May use any 2v automobile-based production engines up to 1615cc. Minimum Weight with driver: 1110 lbs.

3. May use any 4v or more engine up to 1615cc. May use any 2-stroke up to 1300cc, Mazda 12A rotary with any porting and any

carburetion. May use fuel injection without weight penalty as required by the GCR. Minimum weight with driver: 1180 lbs.

4. May use any naturally-aspirated engine up to 3000cc. Minimum weight with driver: 1285 lbs.

-----------------------------------------

You just need to weigh 1285 lbs and meet the Formula Atlantic aero requirements. Hey, I won't tell on you if you weigh less. Welcome to BM. :)

Clemens

Im 2165cc, but I don't get why I fall under the 4th category.....this was confusing me so I asked my cousin (huge beetle fan) to read them and tell me if I fit into the class, he said "No."

My engine is a '65 VW Beetle bored out to 2165cc and mated to a VW Bus tranny.

My gut says to go with your knowledge of the class and assume he misinterpreted something. I will be right on 1285lbs...maybe 1290.

Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Dec 2010 08:29 PM
    My trip down to south florida was memorable!

Mark and I swapped places either driving or sleeping the the back of the MDX on our 18 hour 1 way straight thru trip... We only stopped for gas and we only ate gas station food. We made good time and stuck our feet in the ocean at 5:30 a.m. in the morning. Stars filled the dark sky.

I called the owner bright and early just before 6:00 a.m. He wasn't too pleased but agreed to letting us show up at 7:00 a.m. Driving down the 1st part of his street really had us questioning our decision to drive all that way. It was a DUMP... Eventually, it opened up to a beautiful HUGE home with a gated bricklayed drive. There were 2 Escalades, a dually, a dirt track car all sitting inside. Inside his garage sat a new C6 z06 vette, and older vette and my Formula Ford.

The was the day after we had made the 10 hour drive home from Lincoln.

I'd also say the trip to get Geoffs will be memorable. Finding an alternate route due to an accident on the bridge into Louisville was quite fun.
    jchiu

--
    15 Dec 2010 08:31 PM
    Tom, we never figured out what the hell that 'Lilly's' place was... What a weird place.
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Dec 2010 09:54 PM

I cannot in good conscience count the truck repairs in the cost of the Reynard.

The lift pump would have gone out someplace else if not in WVA. better to lose it with Jimmy instead of pulling my travel trailer with the Mrs and a couple of grandkids!

I am looking forward to getting into the car!

Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    16 Dec 2010 08:25 AM
    Congrats Tom.

I didn't have to go far to get the Civic.....all the way to Brian's house in Brownsburg!
    Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    16 Dec 2010 08:25 AM
    stupid double post.
    Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    16 Dec 2010 09:03 AM

My "buy a CM" story is much less dramatic. Saw an ad in SportsCar for an 85 VD in Atlanta in summer 1991. Called a couple of Atlanta race shops for info about the car and learned that it was "good but nothing special" in regard to race ready. Called the seller and then we drove down from Raleigh to take a look and stay overnight at seller's house. We were SOLD as soon as we saw it waiting for us in the driveway! Went through all the usual "will we fit" etc. stuff and then worked out a deal. Seller delivered it to us a few days later since we did not own a trailer and he was keeping his for a Lotus 7 vintage racer. Went back to Atlanta a month or so later to pick up the custom open trailer we had made. Car received a "ground up" that winter. This winter (about 18 year later) it is receiving another "almost ground up" that isn't anywhere nearly as extensive due to the investment I made 18 years ago in AN hardware, braided hoses, etc.

Original tow vehicle was an 88 5.0 Mustang.

Dick

CM 85

85 Van Diemen

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 3612345 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner