Dick Rasmussen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
06 Mar 2011 08:06 PM

Tom or others:

Some gears for sale on ApexSpeed:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=44597

I have not checked for "relevancy" of any of the ratios.

Dick

Jim G
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
06 Mar 2011 08:13 PM
Many of those gears are great for autocrossing (no 1st gears though).

Dick Rasmussen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
06 Mar 2011 08:17 PM

Peter's comments are consistent with my experiences also.

I haven'r run shockproof yet (I now own some and probably will put it in before running the car after the fresh engine goes in) but always run synthetic gear oil.

FYI my valves hold adjustment very well even though "holding" at 6800 - 7000 is my normal practice. I'm pretty sure I have hardened valve seats.

I think I'll have fresh valve springs this rebuild.

FYI: My last rebuild was in about 1998. Previous was 1992. Much more active between 92 and 98 than between 98 and now.

Iron head and this time lightened flywheel with the Tilton clutch.

Dick

t walgamuth
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
06 Mar 2011 09:36 PM

Thanks guys! We'll continue to digest and see what is available out there.

Tom

t walgamuth
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
08 Mar 2011 10:04 PM

I communicated with the PO and he said there is no rev limiter and the valve springs are stock.

After more consideration I believe I will take Pete's recommendations for the gearing. I might go for the taller of the two first gears. If I go with a taller series of gears than most folks use I decided I would be giving up acceleration in every gear.

Dick Rasmussen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
09 Mar 2011 07:40 AM
t walgamuth wrote:

I communicated with the PO and he said there is no rev limiter and the valve springs are stock.

After more consideration I believe I will take Pete's recommendations for the gearing. I might go for the taller of the two first gears. If I go with a taller series of gears than most folks use I decided I would be giving up acceleration in every gear.

Peter or others,

POST UPDATED Due to "not being fully awake when posting earlier":

Do you think the 13:37 might be too tall with Tom's 10:31 assuming concrete and 25B's? I think that is about 50 mph at 6800. My 13:37 with a 9:31 gives about 45 mph at 6800 rpm . From my experience mid 40's for a first gear is about the limit. For a 10:31 that means the 12:38 I think.

I'm concerned that even my 45 mph first may be too tall sometimes now that tires are stickier and I'm going to have a lightened flywheel. I've had the racing clutch for many years. Unfortunately I sold my 41 mph first many years ago.

Dick

Jim G
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
09 Mar 2011 12:39 PM
Dick Rasmussen wrote:

I'm concerned that even my 45 mph first may be too tall sometimes now that tires are stickier and I'm going to have a lightened flywheel.

It'll be fine Dick. No need to worry.

Dick Rasmussen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
09 Mar 2011 05:54 PM
Jim G wrote:
Dick Rasmussen wrote:

I'm concerned that even my 45 mph first may be too tall sometimes now that tires are stickier and I'm going to have a lightened flywheel.

It'll be fine Dick. No need to worry.

Jim,

Thanks!

Dick

t walgamuth
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
09 Mar 2011 10:26 PM
Decisions, decisions......
jchiu

--
10 Mar 2011 08:42 AM
t walgamuth wrote:
Decisions, decisions......

Whats wrong with the numbers we came up with? Any luck contacting the seller of those gears?

t walgamuth
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
15 Mar 2011 05:49 PM

Ok. I just bought a used gear from one fellow for third gear...17/34, a used second gear 16/36 from another fellow (these are a little too close together so if i could find a little lower second gear I would buy that. And from TRE I got a new 12/38 integral and some lube, sealant and cotter pins! With any luck I'll have those by Friday.

I wouldn't mind putting them in on Saturday,

Thanks for all the kind advice.

t walgamuth
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
15 Mar 2011 05:50 PM
And whatever I have as first gear currently will be used as fourth at least to start.;)
t walgamuth
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
16 Mar 2011 07:02 PM
After thinking about it I ordered a 15/36 gear today.
t walgamuth
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
20 Mar 2011 03:10 PM

I am healing nicely from partial knee replacement surgery on the 25th of feb.

Today we worked on seating position. We are repositioning the seat with the back inclined more forward and closer to the steering wheel so we can both see over the wheel. With it in this position I can just about get a full ninety degrees on the steering if I start with my hands both place high on the wheel, about 2" apart, which is nearly my preferred position any way.

I have not gotten the 15/36 gear yet. Taylor engineering had to get it from England so it will be next week I hope before I get it.

I am getting excited to run it on the third.;)

t walgamuth
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
20 Mar 2011 03:15 PM
PCalhoun wrote:

1st 12:38 or 13:37

2nd 15:36

3rd 17:34

4th 19:31

Are good starting points for a 10:31. Recommend Taylor Race Engineering (TRE) for gear purchases and use of Red Line Shockproof in the 'box. Definitely get a hold of a Hewland gear chart and plot your gears for speed and RPM drop; the chart is available on-line at hewland.com. If you get me your e-mail address I can send you one in Excel next week that is very handy to use; can't figure out how to post an attachment here.

So this is where we are with the gears except I am not sure what I have in it to use as fourth gear. I am planning to use whatever is in there for first but am not sure what it is yet. If I can find a 19/33 used I will buy that and just sell off whatever gears I am not using.

This FF deal is pretty cool!

Jim G
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
20 Mar 2011 08:06 PM
t walgamuth wrote: We are repositioning the seat with the back inclined more forward and closer to the steering wheel so we can both see over the wheel.

Check to make sure that the top of your helmet isn't above the main roll hoop.

jchiu

--
20 Mar 2011 08:14 PM

Did a brookstick test to verify helmet clearance. No issues on that front.

t walgamuth
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
23 Mar 2011 06:03 AM
Althoug Jimmy weighs 150 and I weigh 204 we are nearly the same height so it looks like we can both use the seat in the same position.....which is astonishing!;)
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
23 Mar 2011 12:43 PM
t walgamuth wrote:
Althoug Jimmy weighs 150 and I weigh 204 we are nearly the same height so it looks like we can both use the seat in the same position.....which is astonishing!;)

I'm pretty sure Mark and I aren't the same height.

t walgamuth
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
31 Mar 2011 10:29 PM

Today we spread the seat to fit my wider load, changed out our gear ratios but noticed as we reinstalled it that we forgot to clean off the gasket material, so we will pull it all out tomrorrow and clean it then reinstall.....amazingly mechanic friendly transmission!

we also put on brake pads on LF.

Jimmy was good to go a couple more hours but my knee was complaining and we called it a night!;)

I found a subdivision where the streets are in and no houses built yet.,...owned by a friend who said we could shake it down there on Saturday!;) We are looking forward to that!

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 7 of 36 << < 56789 > >>

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner