11 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
MK500

--
10 Apr 2009 03:38 PM

A note on the minutes of April 6th:

It was stated in the minutes that there are only 4 main participants in the club. How and where the club gets its info. is beyond me. Tim Schoeppner, Steve Schoeppner, TJ Schoeppner,Walt Kowalski and Mark Kowalski are also active members. Tim and TJ have not run much this year do to work schedules. Steve Schoeppner is recovering from cancer. Walt Kowalski just received his novice permit and Mark Kowalski, myself, ran 21st out of 30 cars [started last] at the 2008 run-offs,have had a 3rd and 4th place @ PIR which was the 1st National event in 2009. For the clubs information Mark Kowalski races in the Spec Miata National class which always has at least a 14 car field, not a 1 or 2 car field, and finished 8th in the Rocky Mountain Division last year, which consisted of over 60 cars. Being in the club for 5 yrs now, the only members i've meet are Stan and Richard. The club seems to be entirely focused on Solo, instead of promoting drivers to try wheel to wheel. Maybe this is the reason members are moving to other regions.

Mark Kowalski #50 Spec Miata

ZOK
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Apr 2009 08:06 PM

Well Mark beat me to it......saw the minutes a short time ago and will respond directly to that email when I catch a break from trying to get the car ready for PPIR. I don't get out to Arroyo Seco enough as good as Roger H is to me, but there is at least one other local current road racer who even Mark missed in this post....Hector Maldonado. Recent past local drivers are Dr. Bruno and Jamie Dryden (who ran the 2006 Runoffs). Also just heard from Steve Carvajal the other night who is alive and well in Phoenix now.

What also concerns me about those minutes is the mentioned plan to move the region to "Arizona" (I think that means the Southern Pacific Division as Arizona is just a larger version of us, a region. I have to question the "business" logic as large Divisions and regions do not need us as much as RMDiv (Colorado) does. If this is just an emotional decision because it's fun to race in Arizona, don't do it as it forces National drivers to tow 1000+ miles for points (one way to Calif. tracks much as I love them) and may make renewing my national tech license more difficult.......not many areas provide the user friendly tech service I try to provide and SoPacDiv does not need scrutineers as badly as RMDiv which simply means I may not be able to meet SoPac Div Administrators requirements to renew.

Stan C

ZOK
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Apr 2009 08:17 PM

Forgot to mention......if the reason for pursuing moving our PanAm region to SoPacDiv is because it will facilitate resuming SCCA roadracing at Arroyo Seco, I'm all for it especially if that means Nationals at AS. But I have my doubts when I see what Az. and Ca. already have for tracks. And if it somehow helps the soloists, I'll get out of the way and join Rio Grande region to keep my tech license......I can join any region in the country and declare that Division for gathering national points as I did this year when I saw the Colo. schedule; those California tracks are great for us retired guys while diesel fuel is cheap and there are some years that Az. has four nationals (unfortunately not this year).

Stan

Richard Dziak

--
    10 Apr 2009 10:09 PM

In regards to the recent posts here, I would like to make a few clarifications.

As the Pan Am Club Racing Chairperson, I attend the meetings on a monthly basis. The latest Pan Am Club Racing membership list shows 12 club racers. Not all are active, not all listed members actively race or own cars anymore. If the Pan Am membership was defined, we would have about 6 or 7 club racers who actually enter events. Jaime Dryden has sold his Formula car, Tim Schoeppner informed me that he sold his car. The list can never be 100% up to date, because all memberships do not expire in the same month. In the past meeting the information presented showed that 4 Pan Am Club racers were active within the last 4 months. The Arizona season for 2008-2009 has concluded with the last race on April 4th..5th, 2009 at Firebird. Prior to the 2008-2009 Arizona Region season ending, Mark Kowalski has been an active driver in 2008. T.J. Schoeppner attended the race in Albuquerque, NM for the Rio Grande Region event in June of 2008, an event called the Western Sprints, along with Richard Dziak attending and Mark Kowalski. Jose Gerardo was active in 2008, Hector Maldonando converted his FC to Class FB during the summer and was active in 2008 on 2 events, as was John Basler, Stan Czacki and Ben DeWitt. That was it, to my knowledge.

Now that we have entered 2009.....the racing season has just began for many of our Team Pan Am Club racers. Economics and work schedules will play a role in who races and who doesn't. Along with economics there are also mechancial issues. John Basler will be sidelined as he blow out his motor at PIR in Phoenix. Jose Gerardo may not race in 2009 due to economic reasons and is dedicating much of his time to his business. Hector Maldonado has not renewed his SCCA license as of yet, and has not made any specific plans for 2009 except an early enter for the ARRC race at Road Atlanta in November 2009. Richard Dziak will join up with the Southwest Motorsports racing group in Albuquerque, NM for racing at Sandia during the summer. Stan Czacki who is now fully retired continues his quest for a National Championship at Road America for the SCCA runoffs in 2009. Mark Kowalski has added National Points towards the SCCA Runoffs for 2009. Other than what is listed, I know of no other Pan Am club racers being active. I am sure that Ben Dewitt who carries a Pan Am membership will race in Colorado during 2009. As of this date, that's all I know and what was reported.

There was no intent in the minutes provided for the April meeting to leave any team Pan Am Club Racer out of the loop. As the club racing chairperson, I watch for all our members results via the internet, and have always posted and promoted our own racers. For a small club we have a great contingency of active racers. As more of the Pan Am paid members enter races their racing stories and results will be posted on our forum just as I have done in 2008. I am here to promote and acknowledge ALL active Pan Am Club racers. I am hopeful that more of the paid Pan Am Club racers will attend more events. I fully understand that there are other circumstances and individual life events that prohibit our members from racing.

Many of our members have been racing outside of our RMD Division, with me being one of them. I find racing with the Arizona Region to be fun, easy to tow to events, and they are a highly organized region. By racing with the Arizona Region ....Pan Am Club Racers have a rare opportunity to race at Phoenix International Raceway, a premier race track along with Firebird International a top notch facility. For myself, the tow to the Colorado is too far and exhausting. Recent stock market activity and the economics of the USA dictate that I can be away from my office for only limited periods of time. Therefore, with the new track in Colorado ....High Plains Raceway....is a 15 hour tow each way. I will not be attending races at that track. Nor will I most likely attend any events in Colorlado due to the long haul. I have decided to concentrate my racing efforts this summer with events closer to home (Las Cruces, NM) and with an outside organization of the SCCA. I am going to step out of the SCCA box for the first time in 6 years. Once the fall season starts in Arizona, I will most likely be back with the SCCA Club Racing events located there in the Phoenix area.

For those Team Pan Am Club Racers who attend events, feel free to update me via private emails or add your racing information here on our own Pan Am Forum. We all want to know what our Club Racers are doing. If you know of someone interested in club racing, you can either answer their questions personally or have them contact me. I am always promoting club racing and the one main reason John Baslwr has stepped up to club racing is the fact that I personally introduced him to driving my Formula F2000 and he was hooked. We can always use more club racers. Certainly club racing is a huge step above the SCCA Solo Racing program, due to the style and requirement of the SCCA GCR for club racing and most of all, the costs involved to race. Those club racers who are active, usually have steady higher incomes, or are retired and have the time and retirement funds to make the long haul and can afford the costs to race. There can be no doubt that the current economic conditions are playing a part in reduced car counts in the Phoenix Region and other geographical areas of the USA. When I checked into my hotel in near Firebird International Raceway in Phoenix, the hotel manager stated that due to declining race sponsorships, track attendence at FIR has been way down from past years.

As for the possibilty of moving from the RMD to the SoPac Division, I personally believe it makes lots of sense to do so. I was entertained with the idea back in March 2009 by a past Arizona Region RE. Our own club racers are attending more and more events with the Arizona Region, Yes, there is no doubt that the present makeup of the Pan Am Region is a Solo Class Region. I have found that to be true for many years. Many solo racers in the El Paso area, just can't afford the club racing programs and costs associated with club racing. For that very reason, club racers should not deny the Solo racers the opportunity to do their thing. Each SCCA Region and club needs to generate revenues to survive and remain viable. That is why when attending club racing events, we see more PDX clinics and see the new SCCA Time Trails. Arizona Region has also added vintage race cars to their weekend programs to generate additional revenues. The cost to rent FIR in Phoenix I was told, is $5000 per day. Add in EMT's, tow trucks, SCCA insurance and the costs are high. I believe moving to the SoPacDiv might provide our Pan Am region with the opportunity to bring a race back to ArroyoSecoRaceway in the future. The Solo program in Arizona is very strong, and looking at the attendence in Solo racing in Phoenix, Tucson, and Sierra Vista, Arizona, it could have a positive effect for our regions own attendence. As of this date, it's only discussion. The idea was discussed at our last board meeting. Members that don't attend the monthly meetings must remember that our BOD are always working hard, dedicating their own free time to make our Region successful in Solo Racing, Club Racing and Rally events. It doesn't matter how many cars are in individual classes as compared to classes that may have 2-3 or 4 cars in the respective classes. There is no doubt that Spec Miata, RX7 are the trend. Formula car race counts have been very low recently, but that shouldn't demean the class for only 2 or 3 cars vs 20+ for Spec Miata or RX7. The run groups presented by most regions are very diverse with car classes. It is not unusal to see 10+ classes within one race group. All club racers are out to achieve the same result regardless of the car count in any one race group. As for myself, the Formula F1000 is a new class within the SCCA. There are very few cars to compete with, so understandably it's easy to record victories and championship titles. Low class car count drivers should not be deprived of victories or championships. I am out on the track with the DSR,CSR,FA,FM,FB,FC,S2000 race cars. When Spec Miata first started, the car counts were low. Now that class has grown and it qualifies for national events. In past years they did not qualify for National status.

All Pan Am Club racers that have been active know the costs and time it takes to be in this side of the SCCA racing program. We want to keep positive attitudes for all types of racing within our own region, and support all of our members whatever type of racing they do.

I look forward to seeing our club racers and meeting new club racers in the future at events. The main thing to remember is we are priviledged to do what we do. Many men and women would love to be able to afford real race cars, driving them on real tracks, and have as much fun as we all do. Most importantly we are members of an elite group of racers. We are Team Pan Am Club Racers.

Keep in touch, and be sure to let us know your questions, comments, concerns or complaints.

Richard Dziak

--
    11 Apr 2009 12:30 AM

One thing I forgot to mention above.......it is possible for any SCCA member to be a member of more than 1 region. The dual membership should not be based on the fact that the Pan Am Region is dominated by Solo racers or Solo events. Most dual members do this for various reasons. The main reason is when racing in other regions, you can qualify for any points Championships or Championship Series within that respective Region. The cost to be a member of another region in additon to the Pan Am is very low. Usually anywhere from $10.00 to $20.00, In fact Lester Townsend a long time SCCA member for over 30 years discussed this topic at our last monthly meeting on April 6th,. He noted that many region members have carried dual membership. Pan Am and West Texas, Pan Am and Arizona etc. The cost of the Arizona Region is minimal and allows any Pan Am club racer to qualify for the the Arizona Regional Saguaro Championship Series, or gain National Points under the SoPacDiv or have there races considered out of division races under SCCA guidelines for National events. I was told by Stan that he is a dual member of both the Pan Am and the Cal Club regions. I assume it was done to be official on the points board under the SoPacDivision where he has spent most of his time racing over the last 6 months (Nov 2008 to April 2009). Now Stan will race at Pikes Peak International Raceway under the RMD Division and still be able to gain the points in the SoPacDiv as an out of division race which is allowable under SCCA rules. Naturally he wants to gain as much points as possible for the National Runoff's in 2009 which he stated he intends to enter.

So just because one region may be a Solo 2 dominated region, like the Pan Am it does not mean that one has to join another region for club racing. Dual membership is strictly a choice that the racer makes. It is not a requirement to be a dual member to race in another region. Any SCCA member can be a dual member either for Solo, Club or Rally events.

Hope this sheds some light on dual memberships.

All Pan Am club racers acknowledge the fact that they will have to travel to other parts of the country other than Colorado (Arizona & California) to enter club racing events as our region is not big enough to sponsor their own event. The Pan Am region has limited financial resources to sponsor an event and is geographicly too far for most Colorado racers to attend an event sponsored by the PanAm. These are main reasons we no longer conduct a Pan Am Region event. Now that High Plains Raceway is open and a $4,000,000 facility, it is unlikely that any Colorado racer would make the 15 hour tow each way to race at a small track like ASR in Deming.

postal cobra

--
    11 Apr 2009 11:18 AM
    <!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} p {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> <!--[if gte mso 10]> As the secretary, it is my job to report what business is discussed in the meetings as efficiently as possible. Granted it was hard to hear what was being discussed at times due to our unfortunate relocation into the main restaurant which was very loud. I do not believe I misunderstood anything said and reported, however there may be some more in depth information that may have been left out. As Richard stated, the minutes are a brief overview and not very detailed. They do offer more detail currently than years past but if anyone in the club has more information to discuss about their club, it is Richard. If any chair has more pride in what they do and the group of people they represent, it is Richard. He is very professional and courteous in the meetings and here on the site and gives nothing but 120 percent when it comes to Club Racing. If anyone thinks there may be an error to what was stated in the minutes, I would suggest you discuss it with your chair or even better possibly attend the meeting. I know Richard has everyone’s best interest at heart when it comes to being the club racing chair and I find it unprofessional that he has to come and defend his actions here on a public forum instead of via private e-mail and not bringing everyone in the pan am into it.

I understand that I may only have 2 years under my belt and am far junior to the rest of the parties involved, but the rookies, especially those coming into the drift category, are the future of the Pan Am. I respect everyone’s opinions and concerns that are given but I will speak up when I believe there is something I don't agree with. Richard is doing a fantastic job as the club racing chair and coming from a solo racer, I would be honored to have him as my chair. I hope to see everyone at the next meeting which will be at the Westside Jaxons restaurant instead of Fuddruckers.

Have a great day.

MK500

--
    11 Apr 2009 02:45 PM

To Danny A.

Richard is a friend of mine and i don't believe i said anthing negative about him. If he was the person that gave the report i'm sorry, i'm just stating the facts. No harm was ment towards him. As far as your comments, the minutes are public info given on the web, so why should my comments be any different. Again i'm just stating the facts. How good does it look to state that ther are only 4 active members in club racing was that's not true? How is that going to increase club racing membership? All i want to do is increase the club racing section and try to promote are area to hold some more races. I don't think solo drivers will want to try wheel to wheel if they are convinced that their are only 4 racers in the Pan Am. I've been racing for 27 years and try to stay out of controversy, but i to will speak out, without hesitation, when i see or hear something wrong. Again, sorry Richard this was'nt geared towards you.

Mark Kowalski

ZOK
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Apr 2009 04:00 PM

Hey guys,

We need to chill out on this one......the minutes were great, they did their job of informing those of us who could not attend the meeting of what the PanAm leadership and those present are thinking/doing......and you got our reaction, which is also important so everyone knows the others viewpoint.

Let's not get a Polish/American (Kowalski,Dziak,Czacki!) civil war started over this. The lines of communication and consideration need to stay open.

Stan C

Richard Dziak

--
    11 Apr 2009 06:04 PM

Gentemen:

I haven't taken any of the posts personally. Discussion is always good and helps resolve matters, and can sometimes provide ideas for change.

It is always good to get questions, address concerns, listen to comments, and try to resolve complaints.

I think that the Polish/American Pan Am club racers (Kowalski,Dziak,Czacki) might consider a race overseas in our native country of origin.

That sounds like loads of fun to me.

ZOK
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Apr 2009 10:59 PM
    Especially if Robert Kubica is invited !!
    MK500

--
    13 Apr 2009 11:55 AM

Didn't mean to stir up this much controversy. Great posts Stan and Richard, way to put out the fire!

Mark K.

Richard Dziak

--
    13 Apr 2009 07:45 PM

Mark:

You created no controversary, you created awareness, and at the bottom line, that's positive.

Discussion is always good, even if it gets heated up. It also leads to resolution.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner