Need a Recommendation - Indy Area Wheel Repair
 4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Yesterday's Fish

--
30 Dec 2010 10:16 AM

I nailed a pothole and bent the rim of one wheel. A Google search found for me Mr Wheels of Indy, but the combination of their Fortville location and 9-5 hours means taking time off of work to both drop off and pickup my wheel. Does anyone have a recommendation on another reputable shop closer to Indianapolis or perhaps even the south side? Thanks in advance for the help.

Brian
    --
    Red VW GTI / 47GS

The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Dec 2010 11:40 AM
    Yesterday's Fish wrote:

I nailed a pothole and bent the rim of one wheel. A Google search found for me Mr Wheels of Indy, but the combination of their Fortville location and 9-5 hours means taking time off of work to both drop off and pickup my wheel. Does anyone have a recommendation on another reputable shop closer to Indianapolis or perhaps even the south side? Thanks in advance for the help.

Brian
    --
    Red VW GTI / 47GS

Mr Wheels is the place to go. Many dealers use him and tack on extra charges. He invented a system to straighten wheels that as I understand is the standard method now. Good prices too. I have a wheel or two I will be taking there soon. (My 18x10 D-force wheels got some damage in shipment :( )

If the location and time are an issue you could just pay the extra fees a dealer will charge for the convenience. Dreyer & Reinbold north use Mr Wheels and I'll bet south does too. Expect to pay nearly double though.

I got the following quotes:
    Mr Wheels: Straighten = $95, Curbage Paint = $125, Straighten and Paint = $145.
    D&R: Straighten = $190, Curbage Paint = $150, Straighten and Paint = $340.

Straightening was for backside (I think front side is more involved and pricier).

Also, file a Tort claim and you might get the state to pay for it (they need to have had a report of the pothole on record already to show their negligence in repairing it - worth a shot though).
    fuzzyk

--
    30 Dec 2010 11:57 AM

If it is a stock wheel you could also try Tire Barn. I bent a Mazda3 wheel a in '09 and they were able to get me a refurbished one for $125 the same day. Although they may just source them from Mr Wheel.

Josh K.

Yesterday's Fish

--
    31 Dec 2010 07:59 AM
    Thanks for the responses - especially the details on your estimates, Jason. I did a little more digging and found a mobile repair service, but I suspect I wouldn't get the kind of result I'd want. It looks like Mr. Wheels is the way to go.

Brian
    --
    Red VW GTI / 47GS
    GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    05 Jan 2011 09:30 AM
    Brian, Mr Wheel is definitely the way to go. They fixed a pair of SSR Comps for me among some other wheels. They are a bit out of the way but their work is outstanding. I wouldn't trust anyone else with my wheels.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner