Trying to make a come back!
 10 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jakeaka20CiviC02Si

--
12 Jan 2011 04:32 PM

Well the title is self explanatory. I want to get back involved with the Milwaukee Region within the next year or so. However i have found myself facing the same question over and over. What car should i purchase? My past car was a white 2002 Civic Si and i ran STX and later SM. Recently i purchased an automatic 2011 Mini Cooper base for daily driving. I like the car, however due to it's automatic transmission i won't be able to track it. I have a few cars picked out in my mind, just want some advice from my fellow racers.

Here are the cars that i have been contemplating for the 2012 season:
    -2011 Cooper or Cooper S

-Honda S2000

-BMW 135

Please let me hear your opinions! Thanks!

Mark Hirt
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    12 Jan 2011 06:57 PM
    Not the BMW
    2superblus
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    13 Jan 2011 11:29 AM
    Honda S2K run it in B-stock or STR.
    mrazny
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    13 Jan 2011 11:57 AM

Just with the base price differences of the cars, i have to assume you're looking at a used 135i.

Firstly, the 1 is very easily modified, so you're claimed "never tracked" used 135 still might have been running a chip, and the HPFP issues are pretty well-documented. Also, on the street it feels great, but at the limit its weight and body roll REALLY show. All that said though, i thought it was really easy to adapt to driving it. Bob Clark has a strong opinion that the car is not classed appropriately in D Stock, and since it's a heavy high-powered car, logic would think that with Street Tires it would be a bit more out-classed.

All that said, it's a ton of fun. I think it'd be a blast in STU, probably moreso in BSP where you could play in the 400 torque realm and mods to handle it, but that's throwing a lot of money at an already expensive car, at which point it would make more sense to buy a 1m coupe which is basically a ready-made STU built 135i (but with a wide-body kit and 30 more torque), if you can get on the list and be willing to wait until june.

MikeSS

--
    13 Jan 2011 12:22 PM
    Mini cooper S on Rcomps, then you can run Dstock with me :) Well i guess you could do that with the BMW but... well they can be quite a pain in the butt

As you know I sold My 03 civic Si and picked up an 04 S2000. It was a blast and to this day wish I never sold it lol. Its a blast to drive and very rewarding to drive and drive fast.
    jakeaka20CiviC02Si

--
    14 Jan 2011 03:21 AM
    MikeSS wrote:
    Mini cooper S on Rcomps, then you can run Dstock with me :) Well i guess you could do that with the BMW but... well they can be quite a pain in the butt

As you know I sold My 03 civic Si and picked up an 04 S2000. It was a blast and to this day wish I never sold it lol. Its a blast to drive and very rewarding to drive and drive fast.

Know the feeling Mike! LOL! I like the Cooper already. I may lean towards the S next year. You looking for a co-driver at all for the Milwaukee Events? LOL!

MikeSS

--
    14 Jan 2011 11:32 AM
    hah you are the 3rd person to ask if I am looking for a codriver... people really wana drive the cobalt? lol

Only reason I have said no Is cause of the price on Rcomps this year. Ill be buying 2 sets and one is for nationals and to see how long the others will last at local events :P From what I have been told... not long but oh well.

Before I got the cobalt I test drove a Mini S and found an ITR cause I wanted to run Dstock... for some reason lol. I ended up going to my dads dealer and test driving a cobalt ss and liked it from the start. Toled them if they can find me one with the LSD ill buy it.

The Mini was a lot of fun to drive but the cobalt had a bit more power, plus i got a awesome deal on the cobalt. I was told by a friend of mine who worked for mini that the new copper S has a problem with stretched timing chain and the base is almost bullet proof. Just somethign to think about i guess.
    jakeaka20CiviC02Si

--
    17 Jan 2011 11:58 PM
    MikeSS wrote:
    hah you are the 3rd person to ask if I am looking for a codriver... people really wana drive the cobalt? lol

Only reason I have said no Is cause of the price on Rcomps this year. Ill be buying 2 sets and one is for nationals and to see how long the others will last at local events :P From what I have been told... not long but oh well.

Before I got the cobalt I test drove a Mini S and found an ITR cause I wanted to run Dstock... for some reason lol. I ended up going to my dads dealer and test driving a cobalt ss and liked it from the start. Toled them if they can find me one with the LSD ill buy it.

The Mini was a lot of fun to drive but the cobalt had a bit more power, plus i got a awesome deal on the cobalt. I was told by a friend of mine who worked for mini that the new copper S has a problem with stretched timing chain and the base is almost bullet proof. Just somethign to think about i guess.

I was only kidding about it! LOL! If i were to co drive i would chip in on the tire budget. But i'm not sure if i'll even have the time this season to come out for an event. We'll see how my work schedule goes this summer. I'll just come and chill with you guys!

vetteblues10

--
    18 Jan 2011 12:25 PM
    MikeSS wrote:

maybe it was because we all got embaraced of loosing to the cobalt ;) ... if you can't beat 'em they always say...

Bertman716238

--
    18 Jan 2011 10:14 PM
    MikeSS wrote:

Or perhaps it's the whole train of thought of "it's so not him, definetly the car, he's really slow, it's just that car ssooo fast, i would be like 20 seconds faster if i had that beast, yeah he definelty sucks" maybe? (jk)

as far as the car goes, i say s2000, leaves the option of b stock on r comps, b stock in rear drive street tire, or str, plus theyre ppuurrddyy, if i had the money i would have bought a s2000 for next year.

MikeSS

--
    20 Jan 2011 09:37 AM
    lol that sounds about right :P

S2000 is amazing fun, and you could drive it everyday, but a mini you can drive every day and its still fun.. in its own way :)
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner