FB Photon : 3 race old George Dean Racing GSX-R, $14,500, NJ

pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Mar 2011 09:34 PM

Via SportsRacer Fourm:

'95 Cheetah SR-1 GSXr-1000, $16,000, FL

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd517/PRLMotorsports/cheetah%20sr-1/IMG_0692.jpg

GRMPer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Mar 2011 06:34 PM
    That Cheetah looks like a steal.

Not sure if it has a diff---but still a great starting point.
    GRMPer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Mar 2011 06:35 PM
    stoopid double post.
    GRMPer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 Jul 2011 02:31 PM
    seen on the DSR board:

I have 2 DSR’s that I have made for sale. One is based on LeGrand uprights with a stock 02 GSX-R with molds and trailer for $7500. The other is based on TDC uprights with George Dean built 05 GSX-R with full ground effects, molds, trailer, stock 05 GSX-R and tons of spares for $25,000. Located in Simi Valley, Ca.

Bill Lomenick

BLOMENICK@DELTATAU.COM
    GRMPer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 Jul 2011 03:04 PM
    pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Aug 2011 08:28 AM

SportRacer Forum : OMS, DSR, $16,000, NJ

eBay: OMS DSports Race Car, SCCA, Autocross, Track Day

Quote:

I am selling my OMS. This is a well know Northeast car. The frame and suspension were designed and built by Steve Owen in England. The remainder of the car was assembled and built by me here in the US during the fall and winter of 2004. The car made its debut at the Watkins Glen National in 2005. Qualified for the runoff's three years in a row (twice finishing in the top three in the Northeast division). Went to Ohio the last two years the runoff's were held there. The car is powered by a 2003 Yamaha Fuel injected R1 with 6 speed sequential shift and stainless steel headers. ECU overide with a Power Commander. New Penske Double adjustable shocks (5 races old). Push rod/rocker suspension all around. Wilwood Dynalites and rotors. Mounted Slicks on original OMS wheels (one weekend), mounted rains also on original OMS wheels. Front splitter and rear diffuser. Car comes with lots of spares, two spare 2003 Yamaha motors, 4 sets of fuel injection throttle bodies, original AVO single adjustable shocks, boxes of springs, spare harnesses and ECU's. New rear body (unpainted), nose mold, center section panels to make a mold and boxes of stuff.

This car is a solid runner. No dnf's in the last three seasons. Having won two Northeast regional Championships (2009 NARRC Champion, NJRRS Championship) and several National races in 2006-07. Car is fast, well sorted and easy to drive. You can watch and on board qualifying race from NJMP Lightning course October 2010 here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Chrisomsdsr?feature=mhee
    I am asking $16,000 will negotiate. Everything goes. Car can also be found on ebay under Race cars (not street legal).

I don't know how to post pictures here, so please email me and I will send you pictures of the car. ou can email me at cmosley1@optonline.net. If you want to talk to me, send me your number and I'll call you.

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Jan 2012 08:00 PM

This one is right around the corner, in the SCCAForum For Sale section:

http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/fo...cope/posts

Clemens

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Nov 2012 09:36 PM

The 2007 B-Mod National Championship car is for sale again:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/33...71002.html

Clemens

jdchristianson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Nov 2012 08:48 AM

That looks like bunches of fun!

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Feb 2014 12:48 PM

Here are a couple of Radical Prosport options:

2000 Radical Prosport:  2007 Suzuki Hayabusa engine; $22,000 (Canadian?)

2002 Radical Prosport:  2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 engine; $16,000 (Canadian?)

This one just sold (for reference):

2007 Radical Prosport:  Suzuki Hayabusa engine; $27,000 (including trailer)

I don't know anyone who is currently autocrossing a Prosport, but this should make a decent platform for SCCA BM Solo competition.

Clemens

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Feb 2014 12:53 PM

AMAC: 2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 engine; $16,500 (OR)

This car has a lot of nice features.

Clemens

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Apr 2014 07:39 AM

Have you ever considered an F500 in FM?  Forget that!  Try FM on steroids in BM:

Kokopelli DSR: 800 Rotax triple; $18,000

Clemens

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 May 2014 02:27 PM

2002 Radical Prosport:  2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 engine; $20,000 (Canadian?)

Clemens

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 May 2014 02:31 PM

Something a little more unconventional:

Solo/Hillclimb car:  1000 FZR, $7,800

Clemens

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12 Nov 2014 07:47 PM

This is essentially a new car with only one event on the chassis:

LeGrand Mk18:  roller/no engine; $6,500

Text of the ad (the underlined names of the cars in my posts are hyperlinks to the original posts, by the way):

Legrand mk18. Originally a kit. Has SCCA log book.
    It has only run one solo race back in 2000. . Had problems with that motor and got put back in storage. The tub is like brand new. 
    Would make a great track day, vintage or solo car for someone. Just needs a new owner and an engine. I have a ZX10 and or KZ1000 available. 
    Spares: extra set wheels/tires, two front splitters several sets front and rear sway bars, header and exhaust (fits Honda 900rr) and a few other misc.
    Asking $ 6500 OBO   car is located in west Michigan ( half way between Grattan and Gingerman )
    Pictures:  http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/ckracecraft/library/Legrand%20mk18?sort=3&page=1

Chad Klungle
    616-4O5-2732

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Nov 2014 01:37 PM

So, how wold someone go about turning the LeGrand roller above into a BM car?  One way to get started in BM is buying a car that is already prepped and set-up for BM autocrossing.  Although quick and convenient, the problem with that is that there are not much more than a handful of cars in existence that can go out and be competitive.  Therefore, the next best thing is buying a BM-eligible platform and do the prep-work yourself.

Older sports racers are common starting points for a competitive BM car.  However, most of them have older engines and might be a little tired structurally from years of roadracing.  That's where this LeGrand does have a leg up.  I have not seen the car, but, just based on the description, it should be structurally very sound since it is essentially a new chassis.  The only track-time this car has ever seen is one autocross event.  Ever.  Other than the engine, it is complete and even comes with two sets of wheels that appear to be the right size (the most common set-up is 8x13" wheels in the front and 10x13" wheels in the rear).  Therefore, you would not pay for an engine that may eventually come out of the car anyway.

Ok, let's assume you bought this car, all you'd have to do to get that car on track is installing an engine.  In order to be competitive, a good option would be a mid-2000s fuel-injected 1000 cc motorcycle engine.  2005-2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 engines are very popular options.  This is pretty much what's required for the 1000 cc motorcycle engine installation, along with estimated costs:

• Engine, $2000-3500
    • Oil pan (required to lower engine and assure proper oil supply in a car application), $500-800
    • Fuel pump, $80-200
    • Fuel pressure regulator, $100-180
    • Header (the motorcycle header won't work due to its routing); this one is a little more tricky and I have to recalibrate myself on what's available, parts kits are available in the $300-400 range, ready-made headers up to $2500
    • Misc. items: throttle cable, clutch cable (unless the engine has a hydraulic clutch), a new chain and a smaller front sprocket for a better gear ratio
    • Fabricating and welding in engine mounts

Now, with the engine installed, you are ready to go and run the car in A-Modified.  Why AM?  There are two reasons:

1. BM has different minimum weights for different engine sizes.  For a car with a 1000 cc 4-stroke engine, the minimum weight is 1020 lbs, including driver.  The LeGrand was designed as a very lightweight car for the SCCA DSR class that had a minimum weight of 900 lbs.  The car in this configuration could be less than 750 lbs and would definitely require ballast for most drivers to make the car legal in BM.  Scrap lead works well and can be had for cheap.
    2. BM also has a minimum wheelbase requirement of 80" to prevent ultra-small cars.  The LeGrand was designed with a 78" wheelbase, which means it needs to be stretched.  This could be done in three different ways, either by relocating the front wheels, relocating the rear wheels, or lengthening the chassis.  The most common way of doing this would be relocating the rear wheels through a suspension modification.  The material to do that is probably no more than $100, but a bolt-on kit, which is available, would cost significantly more.

With those modifications, the car would be ready to run in BM, but there is more needed to make it competitive.  The two items required to make it a front-runner are:

1. An LSD.  The older cars, including the LeGrands, where typically built with what's called a "spool", basically a rigid connection between the two rear axles.  That does not allow the two rear tires to run at different speeds when cornering, which guarantees understeer.  The spool needs to be replaced with a differential.  A Quaife or Wavetrack differential (the VW Rabbit fitment is very adequate) runs in the $900-1000 range.  Other options are available.  This is just for the naked differential, and packaging is the challenge.  "Kits" are available that run in the $3000-5000 range, and minor fabrication and welding might also be required.  Depending on the fit, modifications to the axles and CV joints may or may not be required.
    2. A Solo-specific rear wing for adequate downforce.  A well-designed wing is very effective and can drop your times by two seconds or more, depending on the course and the surface.  A competitive 2-element wing can be had for $2000-4000.  Another options is building your own for a few hundred dollars worth of material.  Some minor fabrication may be required to mount the wing.

Now, you have a car that can be a contender and front-runner at pretty much any event.  A little more tweaking and tuning would make this one of the fastest cars in the country.

You probably noticed that I mentioned the words 'fabrication' and 'welding' several times.  If you have the skills and equipment to do those two things, it clearly makes these modifications a lot cheaper, basically the cost of the material.  Having a friend who can do these things is the next best option.  Having to pay a "professional" for this work makes it quite a bit more expensive.

So, there you have it, one route to owning a competitive BM car.

Clemens

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 41234 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner