I'm surprised someone hasn't already mentioned the new fastrack and all of the proposals and changes announced. Here's the summary:
FORMULA JUNIOR / F125
- The KAC is seeking preliminary member feedback on the allowance of a 250cc four-stroke Shifter motor in stock form at a minimum weight of 420 lbs. as a Regional-only motor. This is for the purpose of evaluation and comparison to the current allowance of motors in F125 (ref. #2001).
- The KAC is seeking preliminary member feedback on increasing the current weight penalty for programmable ignition from 20 lbs. to 25 lbs. Along with this proposal, the KAC is looking for feedback on decreasing the current weight penalty of ICC motors from 35 lbs. to 25 lbs., to help align SCCA Solo with other current karting organizations (ref. #2056).
- The KAC is seeking preliminary member feedback regarding changing the class designation of Formula 125, otherwise known as “F125” to Kart Modified, otherwise known as “KM” (ref. #2835, 2836, 2847, 2888, 2904).
- The KAC is seeking preliminary member feedback regarding changing the class designation of Formula Junior A, B, C, otherwise known as “FJA”, “FJB”, “FJC”, to Junior A, B, C, otherwise known as “JA”, “JB”, & “JC” (ref. #2904).
- The KAC has discussed the issue of Methanol use in the FJB Briggs Raptor motor. Due to the extra power it provides the FJB motor, the KAC has deemed it necessary to eliminate methanol as a fuel for FJB, effective 6/1/2011. The applicable rule will be changed to read as follows (ref. #3241, 3273):
“19.2.A.2.b.1.Briggs & Stratton Raptor
A. FUEL: Gasoline
B. WEIGHT: Gasoline - 245 lbs
C. Balanced and blueprinted engines are allowed, but no Controlled Stock, Modified, Limited Modified or Open Motors.”
- Per the KAC, all tires which were legal for Formula Junior classes in 2010 will again be legal for 2011. However, due to an apparent significant change in tread compound, the next version of the Bridgestone Y*C series (following YHC, YKC), tentatively designated the YLC, will NOT be approved, pending further review. For 2012 the KAC is anticipating instituting a spec tire for the FJ classes. At this time, the KAC is asking for member comment regarding what brand and designation that tire should be, taking into consideration the concepts of a long-wearing and a moderate-traction-level tire, as the current rules allow. Initial possibilities under consideration are the Hoosier R60, and the MG HZ or “Red” tires. Appropriate sizes, 4.5-5 (front or rear) and 6.0-5 (rear) will remain unchanged. Interested parties are requested to post comments via www.sebscca.com (ref. #3589).
- In addition to those items reflected elsewhere herein, the following member items regarding Kart and FJ category matters have been reviewed by the KAC and SEB: #3320, 3648. The SEB and KAC thank these members for their input.
Please write your letters: Letter submission site